Which airgun should I buy?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
capri_kj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Which airgun should I buy?

Post by capri_kj » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi Guys,

My name is Keshav and i am from mumbai.

I have just joined this Forum and am a novice in guns and so please bear with me for the siilly questions i want to ask as i don't yet know anything about guns and i have never owned any till now.

i am for starters only interested in air-guns. so following are my questions on them.

1) Which airgun do u recommend that i buy as a starter ?
2) Are are the costs and from where can i buy them.
3) Is it legal in India to keep air-guns ?
4) Where in mumbai can i join a shooting range for practice

Please do reply back on my questions. thx

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 pm

capri_kj";p="54390 wrote: Hi Guys,

My name is Keshav and i am from mumbai.

I have just joined this Forum and am a novice in guns and so please bear with me for the siilly questions i want to ask as i don't yet know anything about guns and i have never owned any till now.

i am for starters only interested in air-guns. so following are my questions on them.

Please do reply back on my questions. thx
Have you even read the article posted on this thread?
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:01 pm

Welcome to IFG Keshav.
I'll just list out the responses to your queries.

This would depend entirely on three things; budget,choice and availability.
Availability: Apart from the IHP very few choices are available in the market.Its a decent buy for a beginner on the price front and otherwise.One can import .177 cal airguns from abroad (do read through the import experiences for detailed information)
Choice: Something we dont quite have in the current scenario, so one is left to buy a second hand imported airgun (which would also cost a pretty penny).
Budget: This is entirely your call, depends on how much you want to spend.

IHP air rifles would cost you 3000 + INR. For imported ones the costs are a lot more steeper, 18,000 INR upwards.IHP's are available locally at various locations (Mumbai based IFGians would be able to guide you)
Imported ones aren't available that easily and you'd need to seek out someone who is re-selling his piece. You could also seek the import route.

Yes it is, check out the air gun and legal eagle sections for exact details.

Unaware of that, a mumbaikar should be able to help you out with it

And one of the first tenets to becoming an avid IFG-ian, please read through threads in detail. If you still have a doubt or a question, ask away :) .

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 am

there are quite a few arms shops at abdul rehma street, crawform market. there numbers are available in the dealer section. you can call them and check out the current prices of new IHP and the imported ones they have.

shooting ranges.
Maharastra Rifle Asso at worli on the sea face in the DSRA. they offer yearly membership as well as a life membrship. they have 10m,25m and 50m shooting lanes.

Opposite shivaji park, there is veer savarkar range. they have only the 10m range(i am not sure about that).

hope that helps....

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm

I recommend the Spring Piston Air Rifles that are most popular around the globe. They also work wonders if you are planning to effectively use them as Pest-Control. Helps you a great deal to get ride of the mice and rats in your back yard. Pigeons are also known to create a stupendous mess with there droppings on rooftops and sideways. You can also try your shooting skills to get rid of that disorder.

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:45 am

I am planning to get back an air rifle with me from London next month. I am having serious thoughts of buying a PCP. Could all our Gurus give me some guidance on the best PCP. Budget can go up to 800 pounds.
There are so many to choose from -BSA, THEOBEN, AIR ARMS, DAYSTATE, WEIHRAUCH !!!
Also a recommendation for a good scope to go with it. Of course i will not bring back both together as i have learnt from your experiences. :)
Thank you

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 am

hotshot";p="56083 wrote: I am planning to get back an air rifle with me from London next month. I am having serious thoughts of buying a PCP. Could all our Gurus give me some guidance on the best PCP. Budget can go up to 800 pounds.
There are so many to choose from -BSA, THEOBEN, AIR ARMS, DAYSTATE, WEIHRAUCH !!!
Also a recommendation for a good scope to go with it. Of course i will not bring back both together as i have learnt from your experiences. :)
Thank you
Keep in mind that any airgun you buy in the UK would be limited to 12 ftlbs of power and that includes PCPs. Also, while springers can have their power increased to full power with a simple mainspring change, it isn't so simple to change the power of a PCP...

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Hot shot.. one more bit of info.

I would generally classify PCP rifles into two generic categories:
1. Those that are meant for general (plinking, pest-control, hobby-shooting) usage - simpler, less adjustment, OK-accuracy stuff, and
2. Those meant for Sports shooting (Championship category) - These are the hard-core fully adjustable, very accurate peep-sight variety.

I doubt if the latter is available in your budget. Mostly, you would prefer something in the 1st category. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Yes TenX i require something from the first category. Plinking, PEST CONTROL ETC.

Abhijeet can i not increase the pressure in the canister of a PCP to up the power ? Please remember i could be completely wrong here, i am a mere novice so your views on this are invaluable.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:31 pm

hotshot";p="56097 wrote:Abhijeet can i not increase the pressure in the canister of a PCP to up the power ? Please remember i could be completely wrong here, i am a mere novice so your views on this are invaluable.
In a word, no! Increasing the pressure beyond the recommended levels will result in "valve lock" and the gun will simply not shoot. If too much pressure is increased, it could possibly lead to parts failing with potentially disastrous consequences.

AFAIK the only way you could change the power levels would be by changing some expensive parts like the valves etc.... and you should know what you are doing. My own experience with PCP's is zero... maybe others who have first hand knowledge can guide you better...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm

But is there a need?

The UK-supplied PCPs, which some of my mates at the club use, has wonderful accuracy and handling. I dont think there us a need to increase the power... One may compromise on costing (extra spares), quality (self-repair), accuracy and over-all life...

Like Abhijeet mentioned, changing the spring on a Springer is far more easier than revving up a PCP... :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:42 pm

TenX";p="56105 wrote: But is there a need?
For those shooting at 10m - no need, in fact it would be counter productive! :) In fact the 10m models will almost certainly be producing wayyy less than 12 ftlbs of energy, they'd be rated at more like 7 or 8 ftlbs if even that much.

For those who wish to use their PCP's for long range plinking or pest control, most certainly - yes!

While eliminating pests, one would prefer it to be a clean humane kill, rather than making it suffer due to the use of an underpowered tool.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Hotshot - buy something which you could use without being bothered about getting refills & things like those.

Get a HW80 .177 or a Diana 350 Mag .177 They are the best springers avaliable at this time, unless someones got a personel preference for some other brand.
These two mentioned above are sturdy, accurate & come with lifetime gurantee

They would work wonderful for P. control on the long run.

Apart from the fact that these are in great demand here in India & sell like hotcakes.
In case you are not happy with them you could always sell them for more than what you buy them for. provided they are well maintaned.

Wish you luck on this one

SS

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Shamsher";p="56107 wrote: Hotshot - buy something which you could use without being bothered about getting refills & things like those.

Get a HW80 .177 or a Diana 350 Mag .177 They are the best springers avaliable at this time, unless someones got a personel preference for some other brand.
These two mentioned above are sturdy, accurate & come with lifetime gurantee

They would work wonderful for P. control on the long run.

Apart from the fact that these are in great demand here in India & sell like hotcakes.
In case you are not happy with them you could always sell them for more than what you buy them for. provided they are well maintaned.

Wish you luck on this one

SS
Awww... You forgot the HW77K :) :)

I agree with Shamsher... A good springer is an investment for life - very durable, long-life, less hassles, more rugged... what else do you need?

Not that there are no rugged PCPs, but overall, a good Springer is a better bet :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey Hotshot,
To add to the above - In case you would have the barrels heating issues, when you use your guns in the hot climate in India.

TenX could prescribe the remidy on request !!

LOL
SS