Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 am

Hello Frds,
I was just thinking of making a carbine out of my air rifle, my basic idea is explained by these photos. pls suggest me if it is good to experiment.

Original

Mod

I will use a hex blade to chope off these parts.

best wishes
advitiyas

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:58 am

And the need for this experiment gun is? Dont ruin a nice gun just shoot some more cans or targets become a better shot.

Take care

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Rifle Modification by Novice - ME

Post by art_collector » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:22 am

Why butcher a beautiful rifle.......have you given a thought to how inconvinent it might become to load and fire....just like the 12 bore DBBL pistol grips which every one loves to buy and hate to use..

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am

advitiyas,

Why don't you simply make a stock of your design? If you are handy at all with tools you should be able to do a reasonable job of it in an afternoon.

In addition, a hand grip needs to be much steeper than the grip angle on a stock. If you cut this stock you will not be happy with it as it will be more like pointing a stick instead of aiming a gun. Google up some 1 handed stock images and you'll see what I mean.

Here, just pasting the first one I found:

Anyway, do yourself a favor and leave the original stock as-is and spend your time on something that may possibly even work out for you.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

kanwal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kanwal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Adi, how do you think to balance your gun, after chopping the butt off it will be out of proportion.

If you are really serious to try something like this, check out with art_collector if he has a stock as recommended by mark and just take out the mechanism of your guns and put it on a new one.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:46 pm

using an Air gun with that stock is not a practical solution.
what you can try is to make a folding stock - I shall be working on that soon and will document it when i do.

also try including brass / silver fittings to customize it.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Hello Frds,
Thanks for all your comments and suggestion. I understand your concern, I too didnt want to spoil my 1st AR. Pls have a look at my album, I already have two more air rifles.This one is a 10 yrs old. Its power is quiet low and I have stop using it for any serious shooting. I was trying to a get portable gun to shoot from close range.

I do not want to be called a dumbo thats I want your sincere suggestions.
Just Do it !

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Try making an aluminium folding stock. While it would be nice to have a close range carbine type of springer it may just become a pain if done wrong. Have seen some air carbines that have barrels chopped shorter and then being affixed to pistol grip stocks. Do a search on the net for them, see what may be possible and up your sleeve.

Maybe you'll come up with a neat air rifle.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Hey Mark - I haven`t seen one of those M1 Carbine type `shorty` stocks for years.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 am

Grumpy";p="37688 wrote:Hey Mark - I haven`t seen one of those M1 Carbine type `shorty` stocks for years.
Me neither! (and for good reason I do have to say!) And I don't want to date myself here, but as I was searching for them I even remembered what the model was called- the "Enforcer"! Anyway, so I googled "enforcer stock" and found that.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Stock is not the only issue here, i want to chop off the barrel to half its length as well.
Just Do it !

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:36 pm

advitiyas";p="37715 wrote:Stock is not the only issue here, i want to chop off the barrel to half its length as well.
I hope you realise that if you cut the barrel it will need to be "recrowned" properly if you are to have any hope of getting ANY kind of accuracy from the gun...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm

thanks mundaire for ur suggestion.

Pls pardon my ignorance, but what actual u mean by recrowning. Where can i get it recrowned, will a local gun shop have the equipements for it.
Just Do it !

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Well to get it recrowned....u will need to give the gun smith a dictionary also to explain what recrowning is....chances are that a local gun smith might not be able to do the job for u. Don't wish to offend any local gun smith who might be a member here.

AC

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 pm

thanka art_collectro for 'limiting my options' :(, pls dont mind.

Pls explain to me what is meant by re-crowning. How will is affect the accuracy.
Just Do it !