Airgun velocity

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Airgun velocity

Post by ebenezer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi all,
I picked a .22 Jimy under lever air rifle from a dealer in Chennai for 6K. He claims that its effective range is 100 ft. and is bound to increase on further use. Is that really true? Need some advice.
Ebenezer

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 pm

100 ft is around 33 - 43 yards / meters not impossible at all given that some airguns can be effective 50 yards plus.

Can u please post some pics.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Airgun velocity

Post by ebenezer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:12 pm

Sure. Thanks for the reply sniper. But my doubt is whether the velocity would increase on further use coz AFAIK the velocity only comes down as the spring becomes weak on further use.
Ebenezer

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Usually it takes a box or two of pellets for the gun to settle in to reach optimum performance. so yes it will improve before it starts to fall.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Logical assumption. But some guns have a break in period, hopefully will get rid of minor glitches and piston, spring and washers to 'set in'
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Weihrauch Fan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Weihrauch Fan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:45 am

My experience shows that the springers properlyy stared and prepared fo fire givis the maximum perfomance sinse the first pellet.
Wrong practicy is to buy the gun,run home take gun off the box,run in to the back yard and start plinking...
I know that many people doing exactly that:excitement,want to shoot now...etc...and not only few of them have the main spring, broken on pieces.Reason:Dizelation of the mashine oil and lubricants used for long term conservation of the rifle.Some manufacturers are not Scrujy at all and oiling everywhere.If you not clean and put in working condition the barrel ,receiver ,chamber and the camera,drying and cleaning them,after the shoot,due the tremendes pressure produced by the main spring in such a small space,the petrol products exploading and released extra energy looking for the way out.more often the pellet have unepected velocity and the smoke out of the barrel is quite a lot,
the worst scenario is if the diesel blast returns in chamber and hit the spring....than is too late for cleaning...
I did that mistake with my brand new HW-77K 0.177 cal-my first Weihrauch in UAE.Bought it and went directly to the Umm Al Quwain shooting club to check velosity,no time for preparations....
As per manufacturer 0.177 with match pellets supposed to reach easily 1050 fps.
I load for first shot not 6.1 grain HN Diabolo,but load 8.9 grain Walther field target heavy.
Sat behind the Chronograph and shoot first....speed was 1250 fps...and hells thunder and smoke,second shot gave 1320 fps ....i tought the chrony is broken shot third time.....1371 fps?! and was not was able to shoot 4-th time for about 4 months until i didn't receive my repairing kit from
saarbrucken/Germany and rifle's price got increased with 135 USD...Sine than I am "wasting" 1-1.5 hours to remove all visible grease from all reacheble places of every new toy of mine and have no any incidents since 2005 ....Well the rifles still sneezing 10-20 shots but it is different,
So I have my own Chronograph Chrony Beta and testing all my weapons regulary...I ve otised slight increasment of the perfomance only with my Diana 54 in 0.22,otherwise all my 7 Weihrauch runing on "Top Gear " since the first shot and have significantly long life of the main spring,average life of my weihrauhs ( i have
mod.25,30S,77,77K,80,90K and 97k)main springs is 7000 rounds and the velocity is dropped with 15-20 %.

Cheers,

Georgi