My requirements

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

My requirements

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 am

Hi All,

I want an air gun for self defense. Could you please let me know which model can i take as am new to this field? My budget can be around 4000. I face many security problem like robbery and chain snatching in my area.

Thanks,
Anup.

For Advertising mail webmaster
rishudhawan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: My requirements

Post by rishudhawan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:27 am

i am not sure if an airgun will help you protect against chain snatching, as it may arouse a lot of souspision if you roam teh streets with an airgun.
Home robery yes, to some extent maybe, but not very practicle searching/loading once robbers are detected.

yuo can lookup on something called a taser or even pepper spray,may be morehelpful.

cheers,
rishu

p.s. these are my own views, man not be the general concesus or the best advice either :)

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks a lot!
what other guns will suit my need?

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:47 am

Anup when someone enters your home to ROB, he doesn't come carrying a water pistol or those plastic knife. He comes with an intention to do some serious damage. And i wonder if you'll really be able to protect yourself and your family with an air rifle. I agree it'll probably scare the guy in dark or probably a warning shot will produce enough noise for him to run away, but it could have some repercussions.

Considering your budget i'd suggest go in for an IHP 35 - .22. it'll cost around Rs. 3600 and might stunn the chap. But please dont leave it loaded ever and strongly suggest you read on the saftey things first. like never leave your air rifle with a child unattended. Never point it at some one you dont intend to shoot, dont fire at at a target until you're sure of the backstop. there are load strongly suggest you read em first.

Cheers
Sid

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks a lot! What about the legal procedures? Do you have any link for the same?
what about the cost of the magazines?

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Magazines for air rifles - thats a good question. but IHP is a single shot air rifle and you can fire only one pellet at a time. to procure an air rifle you need just the money. and a box of Indian made pellets (500 pellets) will cost you around Rs. 100 - 150

Cheers
Sid

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Anup. Your question on airgun magazines make me wonder if you actually know what an airgun is (like you said you are new to this field).

If you have some time then please go thru some of the posts in the airgun section, it will take a while but by the end of it im sure that you will know more than you do now.

Apart from that we will surely help you out :-)
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Anup,
Apply for an arms license at the Commissioner's office. You can find details and user experiences related to licensing on the forum.

Pran

PS: Do you stay in Kalasipalya \ 8)
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:36 pm

I stay in madiwala region.
But do we need to get arms license for these guns also?

And, can you suggest me some small sized guns... if my budget doesnt suit for a small size, then in what range will i get?

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Check this out for some info on Airguns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airgun

Airguns Need NO license if they are within a certain power range. For the budget you are looking at you will not get a weapon exceeding that limint.

Small guns (air pistols) start from 350 onwards and their power isnt much at all.

There are those that are good but the come at an equally high price.

If you want one for the house get a IHP
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm

i need it in the house as well as i want to carry with me if i go for some outings

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Anup, air guns are not the best things for self defecnce...
Buy a pepper spray will cost you INR 150 and easily avialable at Those ladies cosmetic shops... :roll:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Reading the messages in Forum, i have got interest in guns and shooting :) As a beginner, which gun would suit me? I would like to use the same as a self defense weapon too.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:55 pm

anupkkumar";p="41188 wrote: i need it in the house as well as i want to carry with me if i go for some outings
as well as
anupkkumar";p="41159 wrote: Hi All,

I want an air gun for self defense. Could you please let me know which model can i take as am new to this field? My budget can be around 4000. I face many security problem like robbery and chain snatching in my area.
i think you are setting up unrealistic goals. as sniper mentioned, i think you do not know what airguns are. if you did, you would not consider asking around for a small airgun for self defence.

to cut the discussion discussion short, frankly speaking, an airgun/aipistol is totally inappropriate for the sort of use you envisage, unless you plan to use it as a club.

i suggest you go over all prior posts in the airgun, arms laws/RKBA, self defence section. self defence, the right guns/calibers, and legal angles, has been extensively discussed in this forum. please note that it is not a matter to be taken lightly sipping tea, since you might be hauled up in front of a judge to justify why you should not be hanged for killing another human being.

with the sort of queries you are posting, you do come across as a troll. however, we would still like to give you the benefit of doubt and consider you as someone honestly searching for information, but trying to use shortcuts to find it.

if you do happen to be the former, then bye bye to you! if you are the latter, may i suggest you please go over past posts in this matter (use the search function if you have to ) rather than go for shortcuts and ask us questions that have been covered in great depth elsewhere.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

anupkkumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anupkkumar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:35 pm

I will go through the posts and get back to u