Govt allows duty free import of pellets finally

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
penpusher

Re: Govt allows duty free import of pellets finally

Post by penpusher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Madmax,

My sympathies.You can seek a clarification form the DGFT about import of air rifle pellets.Then you can show this to the AC.Do you have the name of this fellow.

For Advertising mail webmaster
madmax
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by madmax » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Yup,have his name,but not sure if anything can be done about his notions of right and wrong.. :deadhorse:
sharad

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:40 pm

You shoulda shoved the pellet tins to where the sun don't shine. Sorry to hear about the lost scope, you should give Mike an earful for that. Can anyone find out who this jhonnie reports to? His tail needs to be tucked in. He is soon not gonna allow even airguns to pass, through his God Given right to interpret the law.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by striker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:46 pm

madmax wrote: air rifle pellets comes under restricted goods section (along with shotgun pellets).
Sharad
Nothing to say the Officer have compared milk with Phenol as they have the same colour. to be educated more......... :evil:

cheers

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:23 pm

An RTI application would be the way forward... it would put the officer in his place as well as clear the way for the future...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Madmax,

Any problem revealing it?

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Madmax.. Did you mention to that imbecile that the exemption is only a few weeks old.. and has come about recently? .. Maybe no one invited him to a New Year party and he is still living in 2008!
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Even I believe an RTI application is the right way to go. What say Sharad? Can work on it together?

Has any other IFG member successfully imported pellets recently?

ai

Post by ai » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Could you call up Hindustan Times, Delhi and report this to Ajai Masand? The AC needs celebrity status and Ajai is the one who can hopefully make this AC famous.

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 am

Madmax,

My sympathies to you. All I can say is this is horrible and we cannot let this guy go just like that. I don’t know how many of us still have to suffer for this type arrogant ignorant illiterate brat scattered everywhere in India, and thinks they can do whatever they likes and claims themselves an authority.

My earnest request to you, please do something instead of sitting and cursing your fate, escalate this to higher authority / RTI/ Media coverage anything but do something, you have nothing to loose but a lot to win for yourself as well for others. Wish I could join you there...my best wishes.,

Regards
Saptarshi

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:11 am

Hi Sharad!

Since you are in Delhi, maybe you can visit the NRAI or the local shooting club and ask for help/clarification on this matter. How about joining a shooting club and trying again?

Good-luck getting your stuff released, don't loose hope.

Best,
Ram

madmax
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by madmax » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Thank You for the kind words Guys,
The AC's name is Mr C B Bhatia(no issues with disclosing his name) ,asked around about the status of pellet import at a few places. According to one such source , pellets can be imported only by those with import licence to do the same. Us normal beings(people with club memberships) cannot do so ... The custom handbook the AC was refering to, was the newest version. He showed me the page which had air rifle pellets classified as restricted item.He also showed me the page with air rifle import.. it said restricted but free for rifle club members.The duty on pellets is Zero % but only if you have an import licence to back it up. RTI would be an option ,so atleast the ambiguity regarding pellet import by rifle club members is resolved.Abhijeet boss gave me a few pointers regarding this ..
Sharad :)

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 pm

madmax:
Try meeting the AC's boss. Go as high as you can - maybe the Collector of Customs himself. Explain your case to him and ask for an exemption. In my experience the senior babus are more cultured and don't have an axe to grind, unlike the petty bureaucrats. Might be worth a try.

Ashok

ai

Post by ai » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Madmax,

I'm afraid some of the suggestions offered above are off the mark.

The AC may have showed you the latest handbook/manual, but the notification came only in November. In such a case, the notification may not have had enough time to be in a manual published, and the notification is sent separately to the customs. Mr. Bhatia has simply shown you the manual, but not the notification. In this case, your showing him the notification is good enough for him to take cognizance.

Secondly, you do not need any license for imports- your rifle club membership is enough. The notification is meant for such members, not importers. Licensed commercial import may still not be allowed. In case the notification was meant for clubs/associations, the notification would have stated so. On the contrary, the notification is partly a result of follow up in the media about the absurd restriction on import of pellets when import of rifles is allowed. Ajai Masand was the reporter who covered this issue in HT.

In case you are interested in sorting this issue out, kindly contact him. In case of difficulty in getting through, PM me.

Lets get some good work done here.

-- Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 --

Ajai Masand's number PM'd to Yash.

Keep us posted.

-- Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 --

Ajai Masand's number PM'd to Yash.

Keep us posted.

Ajai Masand
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ajai Masand » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi,
I am Ajai Masand and have just logged on to indiansforguns.com.
My mobile no is: +91-9810759272
Any grievances on the difficulties faced while import of lead pellets, please inform me....will try to highlight the problem.

email id: [email protected]