Govt allows duty free import of pellets finally

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Import duty on .177 Match Air Rifle

Post by kb100 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

ksharath78 wrote:Hi,

Could you please provide me information related to import of Match Air Rifle. I read in the posts that .177 caliber air rifle import is duty free. One of my friend is returning from Germany, I am planing to get one air rifle form there. Will there be any complication?

Thanks
Sharath
ai wrote:And here is the notification-

NOTIFICATION No. 120/2008
Dated: November 04,2008

In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 25 of the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962), the Central Government, on being satisfied that it is necessary in the public interest so to do, hereby makes the following further amendments in the notification of the Government of India in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue), No 21/2002-Customs, dated the 1st March, 2002 which was published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, sub-section (i),vide number G.S.R.118(E) of the same date, namely:-

In the said notification, in the Table, after S. No.582 and the entries relating thereto, the following S. No. and entries shall be inserted, namely:-

S. No. Chapter or heading De.scription of goods Standard rate Additional duty
or sub-heading
or tariff item
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
"582A. 93 Air pellets of air rifles Nil Nil -".
or air pistols, of
0.177 calibre

(G G Pai )
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India

SORRY- unable to copy the table of tariff as it should appear. Am sending it to Mod and hope it can be reproduced better.
Dear ksharath78,

Firstly welcome to IFG! Please do the following...

1. Post an introduction - It is always nice to introduce yourself BEFORE asking for advice/help.

2. This topic has been EXTENSIVELY dealt with on our forum. Please go thru the first seven to eight threads on http://indiansforguns.com/viewforum.php?f=2 . I am sure this will answer many of the queries you may have - if not the seniors are always here to help.

3. Lastly - please take time to post in the relevant and appropriate thread/section. (this thread is specifically about pellet imports - a few separate threads on weapons exist)

Let me start you off... the answer to your question is NO - IT CANNOT BE DONE... unless your friend is a member of an NRAI affiliated rifle club himself.

Once again - welcome to IFG and enjoy your stay here! :cheers:
A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet!

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:20 pm

kb100 wrote:
Let me start you off... the answer to your question is NO - IT CANNOT BE DONE... unless your friend is a member of an NRAI affiliated rifle club himself.
I am afraid you are wrong KB100, His friend can get him an air rifle and for that he need not be a member of any rifle association. He can get it as personal baggage. I bought an air rifle legally and I was not member of any rifle club. Its documented on this forum, please search

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm

kanwar76 wrote:
kb100 wrote:
I am afraid you are wrong KB100, His friend can get him an air rifle and for that he need not be a member of any rifle association. He can get it as personal baggage. I bought an air rifle legally and I was not member of any rifle club. Its documented on this forum, please search

-Inder
Kanwar76.. Every person I have asked this question to has said NO.. that the carrier has to be a member himself and cannot bring in a weapon duty free or act as a courier for someone using someone else's documentation. I have read every thread available on this topic in IFG in the recent past.

Anyone bringing in the gun otherwise is open to all the vagaries of the Customs dept. As catalogued - if lucky get off with duty, if very lucky get off without any duty.. and worst case being your weapon getting detained/confiscated. All of these scenarios (including a couple of RTI's to that effect) have been detailed on this forum- esp in your own thread :) - hence my conclusion that the variables abound.

Please let me know if there is a any way out - my brother is on his way back from the US and is willing to bring it down for me!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Govt allows duty free import of pellets finally

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Only way out is to try yourself, I tried and got my gun in legally and to best of my knowldge there is no change in the procedure at Bangalore at least. Recently somebody from this forum got .22 air rifle in personal baggage and he is politely asked by the customs to get a NOC from police comm.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

kb100
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kb100 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 am

I guess this will have to wait. I am slated to hit Dubai in a couple of months - will get it down myself. My worry is in case it gets 'detained', the passenger will have to hand around in Bangalore till such time that this gets resolved one way or the other. Difficult to expect someone else to spend that kind of time over this.

tonysilas
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tonysilas » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 pm

So finally whats the latest? After reading all the threads seems this is the conclusion
".177 calibre pellets are duty free to import but not free to import"
‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:58 am

Choice of Pellets that I imported

Daystate Buckmaster (Limited Edition 70/100), Walther Dominator, Diana 350 Magnum, Weihrauch HW50, Harrington & Richardson 20 Guage

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Answered By DGFT:

It Is informed that the item ‘Air Pellets’ is not in the restricted category in the existing (ITC(HS) Classification of Export & Import items. Therefore, in terms of Para 2.1 of FTP (2009-14),the import of ‘Air Pellets’ is Free.

Department of Revenue (CBEC) being the Department concerned have been requested to furnish requisite information on other points to you.

An appeal against this communication may be preferred with Ms. Shubhra, Jt.DGFT, O/o DGFT, Udyog Bhavan, New Delhi.

Replied by: (G.Parthasarathi) (Dy.Director General of Foreign Trade and CPIO) (Tel.23061234, Extn - 344)

Reply Attach

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10636
:cheers:

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 am

Hi whats the latest on pellets-can they be sent by post/courier route

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 am

Andy - Not worth the effort as the possibilities of getting stuck are quite high when it comes along with the Air Rifle. I have been one of the victim in the past :roll:

Has someone tried to send pellets only through FedEx / UPS / USPS?
Daystate Buckmaster (Limited Edition 70/100), Walther Dominator, Diana 350 Magnum, Weihrauch HW50, Harrington & Richardson 20 Guage

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:25 am

are g smith pellets ok for .177

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:15 am

They are good choice of export grade pellets.

There are multiple choices in them.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Which are better pellets-gsmith or mastershot for .177

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 pm

the best pellets ever in .177 are the Crosman Premier.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Crosman_P ... _500ct/318

They perform well in any type of airgun.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Premier's of Crosman are really good.

But its still a tough job to import them from US.

Has anyone tried shipping pellets through USPS/UPS/FedEx. Just the pellets in a shipment?