Comparison between the FWB 700 al stock and wood stock.

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
horribleharshad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Comparison between the FWB 700 al stock and wood stock.

Post by horribleharshad » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:41 pm

On first seeing the Fwb 700 al stock at a competition I remarked it looked a lot like the FWB 700 but lot nicer. :oops: It was then that my senior told me it was indeed a FWB 700 al stock as to the wood stock we use. I'm an open sight shooter and a complete novice at that.

So my senior told me that the al has a lot more adjustments to customize it to a particular shooter compared to the wood. But on the flip side, it is a lot more delicate and doesn't last as long as the wood one, so our coach got the wood version for our club.

How do the two stack up. Purely academic interest as I don't plan to buy any, but will shoot (probably) in some months the wood with the club, that is if I can butter up A senior to let me try after getting shifted to peep sights. :wink:
Sic Transit Gloria!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:00 pm

Harshad,

I wouldn't know if the Aluminium stock version is weaker than the laminate stock variant but if you read Target Talk, every once in a while you will read posts about broken stocks, including laminated ones and usually at the grip.

I was a bit disappointed with this particular model. To me, FWB always meant good solid engineering but these aluminium bits look like they were castings. Could be totally wrong but at this price point I want parts that have been machined from a solid block.

On reflection, I think your senior's comment may well have some merit to it.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: Comparison between the FWB 700 al stock and wood stock.

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:33 pm

How on earth do the stocks on these dinky little "Formula 1 of the Shooting sports" guns break? Particularly on guns that see little movement except to and from ranges, and that, in a padded box? Yes, laminates are forwned on for heavy recoiling bolt rifles because they come apart with heavy recoil over time. I cannot, for the life of me understand how a silly 22 lr single shot, or even less, a 177 air rifle could break unless the manufacturing process is pathetic? I wonder if any of these guns are available with synthetic stocks like the MacMillan or Rimrock ones that are used in US big bore matches.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Comparison between the FWB 700 al stock and wood stock.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:38 pm

How on earth do the stocks on these dinky little "Formula 1 of the Shooting sports" guns break? Particularly on guns that see little movement except to and from ranges, and that, in a padded box?
Airport baggage handlers.

Mack The Knife

mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mishradk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:04 am

Hi Harshad,

I am not that experienced shooter but before taking decision for an Alu I had spent some time in understanding the requirement and difference between Alu and wooden stock.

Actually when people were using wooden stock, for personalizing the rifle they introduced light weight alu in different parts of the rifle. like butt hook, sight raiser, barrel weight butt plate for example.

But the problem they found that every time they want some change they need to remove some thing or they have to purchase some thing new to add.

To make it easy they made alu stock. Where more complex adjustments can be achieved easily and without any extra addition to rifle.

If you see the Alu stock then you will find that there are more adjustments, settings, screws are provided to personalize your rifle.

Most of the time people don’t understand how and what to adjust. Some times some screws are more tightened than the other, so the resultant force works does not apply uniformly and spoils the loose area.

This may not impact much in wooden stock as wood tries to spread the shock uniformly but alu is a metal.. so the diff

Wooden stock is better for juniors or the people who wants to set their position first. as there is very less adjustments can be done, most errors could boil down to error in shooting position, holding or trig operation and follow through.

Also one very important thing about Wood stock is, without any special attachment the rifle itself is well balanced. This makes a juniors life easy.

But with an Alu stock improperly set, there is chance that it could loose its balance (C of G) and the shot will go some where else, could make a professional's life horrible.

There are many other good diffs which you will know as you start shooting peep sight.

Hope seniors will agree to my analysis.

Deepak