Diana 460 Magnum or Diana 54 Airking???

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Diana 460 Magnum or Diana 54 Airking???

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I still have a few doubts, namely

i. You seem to be basing your opinions on muzzle velocity. I'm not exactly convinced with airgun ratings based on power output. Can you share any info on group sizes with the three, photos would be welcome.

ii. Tuning, AFAIK, is a process to make an airgun cock and shoot smoother, and more accurately. It does not alter power output, and may even reduce it initially. Increases in airgun power are based on changing the mainspring, not tuning it as such. For most airguns, there is an individual band as far as power goes, where they operate optimally. Any increases beyond that can adversely affect performance.

iii. the 97 does come in .22,.177,.20 calibres. MV calculations will not equate.

of course, shooting is only 30% air rifle.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

For Advertising mail webmaster
RWS shooter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by RWS shooter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 am

Dear Sir:

muzzle velocity is the initial velocity of a pellet when it exit's the barrel and it is a true indicator of speed, you cannot have a pellet exit at 600 fps from the muzzle and it gains speed after that and after 20 yards makes 650, Isaac Newton tells us about gravity pull and air resistance, shoot at 800 fps and after 20 yards the pellet is doing 700 fps but not because you shoot at 800 fps from the muzzel then at 20 yards you get 875 FPS the pellet slows down with distance SO muzzle spped is the best formula for long range impact

at 20 yards the .22 cal will not have the same speed that it has at 40 or 60

tuning:

you can tune for power or tune for accuracy but an air rifle capable to do 23 fpe is easier to tune for MAX power or low end power

compared to a 12 fpe that will lose power with a soft tune and you cannot bring up to compete with the 23fpe meaning you can "PLAY" with a air rifle that has the capability to go down with a lower tune but you cannot raise the fpe of a lower one to compete with the MAGNUM air rifles

IF I had a HW97 I would have a 16 fpe MAX power, maybe make it a 14 but with the 460 I can bring the 23 fpe down to 18-20??

the platform on an air riflr is the KEY for what you want to do, get the biggest one and you can change it, get the small one and you are confined to that small capacity, it does not give you room to modify the platform

and YES speed means nothing if it is not accurate but I still would get the 460 over the HW97 or the TX200

warren
and remember "it's 30% the air rifle and 70% the shooter"

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:15 pm

RWS shooter wrote:
the platform on an air riflr is the KEY for what you want to do, get the biggest one and you can change it, get the small one and you are confined to that small capacity, it does not give you room to modify the platform
So I take it, MV, or powerplant, is the only defining criteria you look at when you rate an air rifle?

I'm saying this since I am still waiting for you to share the group sizes between the three (my first point....in the last post)
because, though you say
RWS shooter wrote: and YES speed means nothing if it is not accurate but I still would get the 460 over the HW97 or the TX200
you still haven't told us why? :wink:

ATB
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

RWS shooter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by RWS shooter » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:34 am

Dear Sir:

no pic's at this point since it irrevelant and group sizes can be found at the yellow forum

you buy what you want since it is your Money but do consider the swep volume, barrel and trigger and you will have your answer's

it is not based on MV or power plant but the capacity of the air rifle and by capacity I mean the whole capacity, the TX200 is very hard to upgrade since it is a very good air rifle out of the box and so is the HW97 but the 460 out of the box outshoots these 2 and with a proper tune can be more than equal and for less of the price

find out by shooting all 3 of them and then tell me which one you like, for me at long range the 460 because the HW and the AA cannot compete with the 460 at those distances

thanks for your replies, it has been my pleasure

warren
and remember "it's 30% the air rifle and 70% the shooter"

Matthew singh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Matthew singh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Hello members,
I have recently purchased diana 460 magnum, and pasting the link of my review pls feel free to ask questions regarding my experience with this new rifle.

narach93
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by narach93 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Congratulation for your new rifle. Welcome to 'diana' club !!! I was emotional to see your rifle unpacked ! I have one from syndicate innovations. This rifle is the prettiest one among dianas but according to the manual it is dangerous upto 650 yards. Pl go through the online manual of maintenance and upkeepment. That will tell you more about this rifle. It is available in their official site. And yes, do not ever fire 'barrel cleaning felt pellets'. That may break your spring and you will not notice that. Dianas are infamous for their springs.So just put a felt in the muzzle and drive that by putting a barrel cleaning rod upto the breeech. If you do not have that then try to use 2 barbeque sticks, which should made up of bamboo. Then join both by putting an inch length of cycle tube ' valve tube' on both the ends. I will try to post a photo soon. However you can also make a simple pull through. Please remember that the barrel is a choked barrel. So take utmost care if you are planning to put a bore sight for fixing a telescope. That will not go as easily as in other rifles, where the dia of muzzle is equal to the breech dia. In my opinion the broad foresight of 460 is fantastic to shoot. However a peep sight can be attached (made by precihole ) which would prepare you to take competition into next level. After testing about 40 odd imported pellets available online, the best and economical is the pellets made by precihole and gsmith ( try the pointed ones). And last but not the least, pl made a good backstop by using an old saree to save your boundary wall bricks.

awini
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by awini » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 pm

I have both, 54 Air King as well as HW80, so I will restrict my comments to these, as i haven't shot the 460. But I do have a Diana Mauser, so have shot underlevers.
The 54 is a very nice and accurate rifle without doubt, but it doesn't come with the TO6 trigger in .177cal, and it's an extremely heavy gun to shoot without a rest. Also, being side lever, the shot rate is a lot slower because it takes much more time to reload. The HW80 though a break barrel, is as accurate, and is better built and lighter and has a much faster shot rate. It comes down to personal preferences.
"Never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."-Winston Churchill

narach93
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by narach93 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:32 am

Diana 54 airking rifle was introduced in 1993. My 54 is a 1994 model with TO1 trigger. Off late it has got a vortek PG2k tuning kit and lots of parts were replaced with new ones. It is a fantastic rifle to shoot. Since I have also a 460, I never compared the two among themselves. Both are unique in their own way.
Dear Awini, I would like to know which pellet you find best for 54 Airking .
Regards

ravisgshivarampura
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ravisgshivarampura » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:17 am

narach93 wrote:Diana 54 airking rifle was introduced in 1993. My 54 is a 1994 model with TO1 trigger. Off late it has got a vortek PG2k tuning kit and lots of parts were replaced with new ones. It is a fantastic rifle to shoot. Since I have also a 460, I never compared the two among themselves. Both are unique in their own way.
Dear Awini, I would like to know which pellet you find best for 54 Airking .
Regards
Yes

Sent from my vivo 1606 using Tapatalk

hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm

diana 54 air king, spring is it similar to diana 460or diana 34

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 am

No, they have different springs.

vipinsinghal10
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vipinsinghal10 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Hello members,

Recently i have purchased a Diana 460 magnum from a dealer in meerut.
I have few questions regarding product genuineness.

It have one serial no mentioned near rear sight and another near teigger under the stock both are different. Is this gun genuine.
Has anyone else checked the same.

vipinsinghal10
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vipinsinghal10 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Matthew singh wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:22 pm
Hello members,
I have recently purchased diana 460 magnum, and pasting the link of my review pls feel free to ask questions regarding my experience with this new rifle.

How to check if gun is genuine or not
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pm40909
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pm40909 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 pm

They can be different. You mail the matter to Diana company. Go to there official website in "contact us" . They generally reply within 24 hrs.

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 pm

Yes , please do send your concern to Diana with the pictures of both different serial numbers.

They keep records of all Air Rifles they have sold , they will check and get back to you.