how to smoothly import .177cal air rifle - guidelines

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

how to smoothly import .177cal air rifle - guidelines

Post by pkjeetesh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 am

Follow these steps for effecting a smooth import of .177cal air rifle by Courier. Read it once or twice. It is not a tall order….it requires only a little effort from YOUR side and you can do it… sitting at home…

Before you do anything…it is important that ‘YOU’ KNOW YOUR COUNTRY’S IMPORT LAWS….WHAT IS RESTRICTED, WHAT IS NOT…BANNED etc., the following is for import of .177cal air rifle only

1. No sooner than you make the payment to exporter, take a print out of the payment receipt and file it. This is your first document. This may not be required, but please do it.
2. If you have paid by credit card, then take a print out of your online credit card statement. This is your second document. This too may not be required, but please do it.
3. As soon as you receive the courier tracking number/air way bill number from exporter, do the following….

a. Request exporter to send a copy of exporter’s signed commercial invoice to you clearly mentioning the caliber of the air rifle i.e. .177 and all the accessories (if any) included.
b. If exporter is an agent and rifle is being shipped by his supplier, then insist on a copy of exporter’s original invoice apart from a copy of the supplier’s signed commercial invoice.
c. Insist on a copy of the packing list clearly mentioning what else is there inside the box apart from the air rifle.
d. You will now write a letter, addressed to the commissioner of customs informing him that you are authorizing the courier company to clear the package on your behalf.
e. Keep a signed copy (by you) of the DGFT notification ready. This is the IEC (import-export code) document for completing the bill of entry (BOE).Sign anywhere on the document.
f. Keep your ORIGINAL shooting club/association membership ID card ready. This is a MUST.
g. Keep the ORIGINAL copy of the letter from your shooting club/association ready which states that you are a bonafide member of the club/active member of the club/regular shooter at the club’s range. This is a MUST.
h. Arrange for technical data/specification/catalogue of the air rifle you are importing.
i. Sign on the GATT (General Agreement on Tariff and Trade) declaration form and Consignee declaration form and keep it ready (you can get these forms from the courier company).
j. Keep a signed copy of any other valid photo identity card ready…an election ID or passport copy …best….may not be required, but please do it.

4. Now confirm from the courier company… THE actual PORT OF ENTRY….i.e. where the rifle will be subject to customs inspection/checks and clearance.
5. When you get a confirmation regarding the above from courier, immediately send documents a – j to their facility (courier’s) at the port of entry.

Now watch your .177 air rifle as it comes to you…and don’t forget to collect your originals from the courier once it is all over….

my humble request to all members....please do not misuse this great opportunity provided by the Government of India.....our sole aim must be to promote this beautiful sport...make every hobbyist's dream come true...

Regards

P K Jeetesh

For Advertising mail webmaster
vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: how to smoothly import .177cal air rifle - guidelines

Post by vmanicks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:04 am

This is a great piece of information.

I am going to follow all the steps mentioned on your message.

However can you throw some light on the issues while importing a scope thats mounted on the rifle.

Regards,
Manickavel
Daystate Buckmaster (Limited Edition 70/100), Walther Dominator, Diana 350 Magnum, Weihrauch HW50, Harrington & Richardson 20 Guage

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 am

scope is a restricted item ....Sorry friend I cannot help here...but there are numerous posts elsewhere in this forum that maybe of some help....

regards

p k jeetesh

Atanu
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Atanu » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:28 pm

pkjeetesh wrote:scope is a restricted item ....Sorry friend I cannot help here...but there are numerous posts elsewhere in this forum that maybe of some help....

regards

p k jeetesh
Hi Jeetesh,

Thanks for the valuable info on import procedure. What is the hassle with import of 0.22 mm air rifles??

BR// Atanu

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Dear pkjeetesh
Thank you for the very concise and extremely valuable information provided by you.
Regards

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:14 pm

0.22 mm?!? No Way :D

-- Sat Oct 10, 2009 17:14 --

That would be a slightly thick needle and not a caliber.
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.

ABABUJAY
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ABABUJAY » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 am

HI,
pk jeetesh,
i am planning to order a .177 benjamin discovery with pump from topairgun, but the thing is i don have a credit card or a pay pall account, i have a debit card but i could not link the same with pay pal account.and i cannot wait till i get a credit card.
but i have convenced the seller to accept some one else's account, and also the invoice will be in my name
will there b any problem with the customswhile clearing,
in case i am not in the station at the time of arrival can i authorise some one to take the delevery on my behalf?
as far as i know there will b no duty for the gun, but what about the pump?
kindly clarify
regards
babu

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 am

ABABUJAY wrote:HI,
pk jeetesh,
i am planning to order a .177 benjamin discovery with pump from topairgun, but the thing is i don have a credit card or a pay pall account, i have a debit card but i could not link the same with pay pal account.and i cannot wait till i get a credit card.
but i have convenced the seller to accept some one else's account, and also the invoice will be in my name
in case i am not in the station at the time of arrival can i authorise some one to take the delevery on my behalf?
as far as i know there will b no duty for the gun, but what about the pump?
kindly clarify
regards
babu
Babu.....cannot help with this dear friend, not familiar with this route....can you call UPS/FEDEX and check before you start off...

regards

p k jeetesh

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 pm

As far as i know credit card details are not mentioned on the packaging or with documents supplied.
so that shouldnt be a problem. - double check with UPS / or source company on that.
but please do not add any pellets to the consignment.
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:24 pm

What will the UPS guys do if there are pellets along with the consignment.

Cos it is UPS who has taken the responsibility in USA to ship the product to India. Will they provide a work around to clear the consignment?

Regards,
Manickavel.V
Daystate Buckmaster (Limited Edition 70/100), Walther Dominator, Diana 350 Magnum, Weihrauch HW50, Harrington & Richardson 20 Guage

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 pm

One of our fellow members ordered an air rifle with some pellets. His consignment is stuck in customs for about 3 months now and they are not willing to release it as the pellets they say are an illegal import.

No work around exists as of now ie to say if you have a document specifying that you are permitted to import .177 pellets (with or without duty) then you can do so. or else you can consider your entire shipment stuck for eternity.

Dont take a risk - dont order pellets - rest is your decision.
/s/

vmanicks
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by vmanicks » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:20 pm

This is like a scary situation.

Are there any members in IFG who has faced similar problems were their consignment has got stuck as their import has been a restricted item?

Opinion please?

pkjeetesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pkjeetesh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:46 pm

hang on buddy.....wait and see what happens...my gut feeling is that they might let the rifle through and confiscate the pellets and scope....

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Hope for the best and expect the worst.
best of luck.
/s/

srikanth131
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by srikanth131 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 pm

HI,
pk jeetesh,
as far as i know there will b no duty for the gun, but what about the pump?kindly clarify
regards
babu
Credit card Part is no problem at all, As the vedor cannot print the Full Card Numbers anywhere on the Invoice.Some very rare companies do put it as xxxx xxxx xxxx 9009 etc, But it wouldn't matter either

Authorising Delivery is possible with almost all couriers, Some courier boys don't even ask for a authorization. However as its a Gun sometime they might be resistant. You could always collect in person after you trip (if the trip is a few days only) with a ID Proof.

Abt the customs part, i have no exp importing gunsyet, hope to learn from all you wonderful folks.

@vmanicks hope for the best.... you will get the gun.

@pkjeetesh Thanks very much for the post. vhelpful