how to smoothly import .177cal air rifle - guidelines

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
vnpsivakumar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: how to smoothly import .177cal air rifle - guidelines

Post by vnpsivakumar » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm

This is Siva from chennai, i want to buy walther CP99 (.177 Pistol) from online shop, i am not in a rife club member but i had state licene for Pistol (for self protection) if any custom problem will come?which is the reputed online shop to buy? Pls guide me

For Advertising mail webmaster
vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:04 am

Siva, a firearm license is not good enough to import a walther air pistol. You would need to enroll as a member of the state rifle association & thereafter to be doubly safe, a membership with NRAI. There are a no of on line portals selling these air pistols which is not an issue in terms of availability. However, a NRAI/ state rifle assoc. membership is a prerequisite to import any .177 air gun - make no mistake. You will not be able to circumvent this law by any means.
Be wise & do not import without doing more homework, else your merchandise would be stuck with the customs for eternity without any redressal, not to mention the loss suffered as a result of the big bucks spent by you on purchasing the pistol.

Mozzad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Mozzad » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I reccomend relishsports but you need the memebership in any case,which are very expensive(goes between 20k-50k)!

Mozzad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Mozzad » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

For the benefit of future memebers,always keep the invoice,proof that gun is 0.177 caliber and copy of exemption at Airport. The customs would insist that the commissionar has to personally arrive and confirm its a 0.177 airgun other wise. They even told me to prove 0.177 is same as 4.5mm air gun.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Mozzad wrote:I reccomend relishsports but you need the memebership in any case,which are very expensive(goes between 20k-50k)!
Relish sports has been silent on my enquiries / mails. Do they still help Import?
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

mulki
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mulki » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:26 am

AnandNair wrote:
Mozzad wrote:I reccomend relishsports but you need the memebership in any case,which are very expensive(goes between 20k-50k)!
Relish sports has been silent on my enquiries / mails. Do they still help Import?
They don't seem to respond to emails. Call them on their contact number in the website. I placed an order for an Airgun about 3 weeks ago. Expected delivery time was quoted as 4 weeks at time of placing order. Now they said another 2 weeks making it 5 weeks from order date. Will update after I get my order.
--
Mulki

mulki
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mulki » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:31 pm

mulki wrote:
AnandNair wrote:
They don't seem to respond to emails. Call them on their contact number in the website. I placed an order for an Airgun about 3 weeks ago. Expected delivery time was quoted as 4 weeks at time of placing order. Now they said another 2 weeks making it 5 weeks from order date. Will update after I get my order.

It has been 5 weeks since I placed my order and Relish Sports has been unable to give me any delivery date. The person I spoke to said that they have a shipment stuck in Customs and it appears that my order has not even come to India.

So looks like even Relish is in the same boat as the rest of us. Hopefully they will be able to clear their shipment and handle future orders if not, then no easy way to import an Airgun. Other option would be to try the Postal route and hope that it can be cleared without too many hassles... :(
--
Mulki

mulki
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mulki » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:56 pm

My Order that was placed with Relish Sports on 6 Nov 2014 was finally delivered today - 31 Jan 2015. Took a little over 12 weeks but finally delivered.
--
Mulki

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:46 pm

mulki wrote:My Order that was placed with Relish Sports on 6 Nov 2014 was finally delivered today - 31 Jan 2015. Took a little over 12 weeks but finally delivered.
Congrats.
3 months to deliver an Air gun reflects the pretty sad affair of no rules and regulations for the customs :(
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I placed an order on the 15th of December 2014 with Relish - still waiting for the order to come thru.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

toughsurvivor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by toughsurvivor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:22 pm

hello pk Jeetesh,
this piece of information provided by you is of great value. thanks for posting it. i have asked my friend from Romania to send me a Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Rifle (.177). he will send it via ups or fedex.. i owns a arms licence for .32 cal pistol. please guide me what should i do to get my air rifle smoothly. from the above provided information i got some tips but still i don't understand it fully.what i got is that.
1- i must ask him to send the payment bill receipt via email to me .
2- i must ask him not to send me the scope,along with air rifle.i must ask him to send me technical details of air rifle prior to send it
what i don't understand are the points 3 (a), 3(b), 3 (d),3(e) and 3(i). please guide . if you think i need some other stuffs too please give me your valuable suggestion. so that i could get it without any issue. ----- regards.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:12 pm

toughsurvivor wrote:hello pk Jeetesh,
this piece of information provided by you is of great value. thanks for posting it. i have asked my friend from Romania to send me a Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Rifle (.177). he will send it via ups or fedex.. i owns a arms licence for .32 cal pistol. please guide me what should i do to get my air rifle smoothly. from the above provided information i got some tips but still i don't understand it fully.what i got is that.
2- i must ask him not to send me the scope,along with air rifle.i must ask him to send me technical details of air rifle prior to send it
what i don't understand are the points 3 (a), 3(b), 3 (d),3(e) and 3(i). please guide . if you think i need some other stuffs too please give me your valuable suggestion. so that i could get it without any issue. ----- regards.
Arms Licence not enough for import of air rifle. You need club membership of District/state/national lvl or affiliated.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:42 pm

toughsurvivor wrote:hello pk Jeetesh,

Hi Toughsurvivor,
Firstly, arms license is not going to help you even 1% to import a air rifle, not even pellets.
You need to be a member of a state rifle association THAT IS RECOGNISED by NRAI.
Membership of privet or state clubs that do not fall under the NRAI banner is a waste.
FEDEX will try to clear your cargo, but there are members here who had to physically go to the customs office to get things sorted out.
It depends...couple of years back, mine was in customs for 2 days only. No influence or interference.Only the legal paper work.

Now to answer your questions...

3 a) This is the document from the seller when he exports, declaring the contents of the cargo.
b) is the same as (a), only point is, if you are buying it from a 3rd party, meaning like a web site who sells and get a commission from...say Pyramyd air, the 3rd party will give you the billing but the gun will be shipped by Pyramyd air. You will not know who the shipper is as you are only dealing with the 3rd party. Insist the 3rd party gets the courier details from the shipper and passes it to you. It's just like when you order from Flipkart,some retailer sends it to you on behalf of Flipkart.
d) Fedex will do the customs clearance on your behalf, but they cannot proceed unless you officially authorise them to do it on your behalf. This authorization letter should be addressed to the commissioner of customs (Fedex can give you the template).
e) there is a notification from the DGFT (Dir. General of Foreign Trade) that states Air rifle .177 calibre can be imported if the importer has a recognized Air Rifle association membership. That document can be found in the forum. You'll have to search or find a kind Samaritan :D
i) Don't worry about the GATT form. Just tell Fedex to send it to you, sign it and send it back to Fedex. Consider this just one more legal document.

BTW scope is a dicey matter. Some rifles have come through,while some have been permanently stuck because of the scope. Scopes do not have a defined DGFT code nor a clear definition. Customs some times categorised it as an optic, and sometimes as a rifle accessory. If customs consider it as the later, you can kiss your consignment bye bye :( . If the customs have a problem with the scope, then the whole consignment gets stuck with the rifle. They WILL NOT release the rifle and withhold the scope. Would advice otherwise.

Hope its clear now.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

toughsurvivor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by toughsurvivor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:09 am

thnks BD.
you really helped a lot . thank you very much. regards.

jashudheeraj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

I need a letter format sample for importing air rifle .177 caliber.

Post by jashudheeraj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Hello,
I am ready to import the .177 bore rifle from Germany. I have got my invoice from the dealer. All I need is the sample letter format to import the air rile .177 caliber. I am an active member of the club/regular shooter at the club’s range which is affiliated to NRAI. I have the shooter ID as well. I need the exact letter format to import the air rifle so that I can inform my club to issue me the letter in the same format.

Please reply as soon as possible.