powerful airguns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

powerful airguns

Post by striker » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:42 pm

which airgun is powerful?
1)breakbarrel
2)pneumatic guns
3)co2 guns

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm

Compressed air (also known as Pre Charged Pneumatics - PCPs) air-rifles are the most powerful. They can achieve muzzle energies in excess of 500 ft.lbs.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: powerful airguns

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Check out these airgunmakers for the really high powered stuff:

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

http://www.glbarnes.com/

No way you'll be able to get them into India, though.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:29 pm

I had a break barrel bought some time in 1990 from kanpur gun house , it was shooter -52 .22

**Deleted by eljefe**

visit any gun shop and they may be able to give you a on floor test where they put the barrelend into a heavy iron ware with a whole in middle, and they do a test fire and show you the remians of the pellet.
Some guns are able to flat it like a coin, others will make it turn backwards ,with yet others you will find only pieces of the pellet.
decide which one you want to buy, if they don't have that iron base you can put the barrel end between your shoe soal and fire,look for grooves and power it requires for cocking.
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 am

I feel co2 air guns are more powerful.

Danish

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:05 am

Danish

Has to be pre charged pneumatic air guns, years ago in our semi conductor fan first lesson of safety used to be how to hook up or discharge No2 or gas cylinders. because one of the cylinders was discharged improperly and took off like a misguided torpedo through wall and lodged itself on snow bank
Rgds

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am

danish21";p="11111 wrote:I feel co2 air guns are more powerful.

Danish
What makes you think so ?
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:21 am

Sujay,

I was going to respond to this then decided not to, but I think it will answer your question as well.

I believe a CC of CO2 has a bit more energy than a CC of compressed air, but in the larger calibers it does not seem to matter but the cost of compressed air is significantly less.

I may be wrong here because I've never owned a large caliber compressed air rifle, but I think that 25 caliber seems to be the turning point, you'll see more CO2 guns below 25 caliber and more compressed air guns above 25 caliber.

Now take my thougths with a grain of salt here, as these are just my opinions and I may change them at a later date if I learn something new.....
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

To answer the original question, I think that spring guns are the most convenient method of getting a satisfactorily high power level in a pellet gun. Unless you have a way of charging a large bore pneumatic. :)
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Based on what is advertised in these parts, at the moment, the most powerful Air Rifle available is the RWS - Diana H 350 Magnum. A break barrel type, in the .177 calibre it has a Muzzle Velocity of 1250 fps. Close to rimfire velocities. Very very flat shooting and hunting range excess of 80 to 90 yards for small game.

The .22 version has a muzzle velocity of 750 fps and great knock down power for game up to jackrabbit size and easily takes vermin like kites, racoon etc. with a single shot.

Only Magnum heavy load pellets are recommended in these rifles.

For PN air type, LOGUN, WALTHER, BSA, HULL have introduced various models but all are in the range of 1000 fps in the .177 calibre. These velocities are matched by DIANA model 35, 36, 38 or 68. GAMO and BSA too have break barrel models in this range.

To achieve a better velocity, quality and calibre of pellets is essential. 4.52 mm achieves a greater velocity than 4.52 or 4.52 mm. A trial of various calibre pellets available leads to the best suited to a particular model.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Mark";p="11126 wrote:Sujay,

I believe a CC of CO2 has a bit more energy than a CC of compressed air, but in the larger calibers it does not seem to matter but the cost of compressed air is significantly less.
Thanks Mark.

My take on CO2 vs PCP is that in the context of airguns, what would matter is the feasibility of harvesting the power. By account of all available information, quality of technology available /developed to use compressed air far exceeds that of using CO2 in terms of converting them to a propellant. This may be due to the better 'manageability' of compressed air for use in airguns. Hence more ME and power for PCPs compared to CO2s.

I agree about your remark of the spring powered guns particularly when the correct ones can easliy achieve 800 fps in 0.22 calibre and about 1000 fps in 0.177. My dream airgun though is the HW 100 S with open sights :twisted:

But Europe has ensured that not a single PCP will have open sights :evil:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Hello gentlemen, been busy for sometime.
I think precharged pneumatic will rule the future of airgun technology. Most of the popular weapons now produce 1000 fps. I am sure with time they will become more powerful. And they are drop dead gorgeous !!!!
Try this link.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Precharged ... _s/192.htm

TC

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:04 pm

An Air Rifle in .177 calibre producing 1000 fps will be adequate enough for excellent results up to 70 / 75 yards.

In the .22 Calibre 680 to 720 fps will be adequate, and have a good down range of 50 / 55 yards.

The future is air cylinder based Airguns which fire 70 to 80 shots with a single charge, but at the moment they are very heavy.

This is the reason why the break barrel version will still be popular for some time. And of course the price. Lower ended Break Barrel types from extremely good manufacturers are priced quite reasonably for cadet level entry.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:39 pm

The future is air cylinder based Airguns which fire 70 to 80 shots with a single charge, but at the moment they are very heavy.
That's not quite right. If you remove the target models - which are heavy for a reason, there are plenty of PCP sporters that are lighter than spring-piston sporters. This is for the same muzzle energy. Infact, very often a lighter PCP rifle can put out more muzzle energy than a heavier spring-piston rifle.

As for the number of shots, there are some that will do hundreds of shots per fill at 12 ft.lbs. and some that will do forty or less at 12 ft.lbs.

What it boils down to is cylinder capacity, muzzle energy, the guns regulation and to some extent the calibre and weight of pellet.

Mack The Knife

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 pm

In England these PCP sporters have become pretty popular. Walther, Logun, HW, BSA all of them are introducing new models almost every month. However in these parts break barrel rules supreme, the era of the Cylinder type PCP sporters are yet to come.

Should be convenient for us off roaders. We carry Bushranger compressors in our vehicles with air delivery of 70 litres / minute. These cylinders can be loaded very quickly. There are bolt action 2 shot types and a magazie type that can take 5 / 6 or 7 shots now. Interesting development. Waiting for this new Era in 12 months time. The silencers available for these airguns should also be a further advantage.