Air Rifle grooves

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Air Rifle grooves

Post by striker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Is there is any special reasons for the air rifle groove in clockwise turn ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:57 pm

You mean besides the rifling imparting a spin to the pellet or is that what you were asking.

I wonder if it has anything to do with clockwise for the northern hemisphere and the other way round for the southern.

Good question.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:10 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="8283 wrote: I wonder if it has anything to do with clockwise for the northern hemisphere and the other way round for the southern.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:17 am

Don't laugh! :mrgreen:

Water does go down the drain in an anti-clockwise direction south of the Equator. There's a term for this but I can't recall it.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: Air Rifle grooves

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 am

Mack The Knife,

This might be OT here but many years ago, ballisticians would look at the direction of rifling on bullets and judge immediately which handgun they were fired from. IIRC Colts had left hand rifling and Smith and Wessons had rifling that turned to the right.

Cheers!

to_saptarshi
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by to_saptarshi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:20 am

mehulkamdar";p="8301 wrote: ballisticians would look at the direction of rifling on bullets and judge immediately which handgun they were fired from
Cheers!
Mehul just an addition rifling directions are still considerd for striation mark verification both in manual system and sophisticated system like IBIS.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="8297 wrote:Don't laugh! :mrgreen:

Water does go down the drain in an anti-clockwise direction south of the Equator. There's a term for this but I can't recall it.

Mack The Knife
It's called Coriolis.This link's pretty informative
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1604444.htm
Pran
Last edited by Pran on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Mack The Knife/Pran,

There might be an effect on drain water swishing down but I doubt this business of having one twist for the Northern Hemisphere and another for the Southern is anything more than a prank. SOme years ago there was some speculation about the hands on a clock facing resistance when they moved upwards and of them moving faster when they moved down but I remember that Nature and New Scientist both carried tests that showed that spring power alone was enough to negate any such effect.

What would be more important in a rifle or handgun would be matching the twist to the kind of projectile fired. If that is done there would be little difference whether the rifling was left or right handed. Considering that a round of even 22 lr ammunition releases much more energy at firing than a clock mainspring does from being wound, I doubt this effect would be anything at all on a target shot at any range that a gun is intended to shoot at, possibly at much longer ranges. You might say that a round comes to a halt at 1.8 x 10 to the power of -1 million mm or something of the sort using some mathematical derivation, but I doubt it makes any sense in the real world of shooting.

In any case, I have had more than a little correspondence with the SOuth African ballistician Chris Bekker and I shall ask him about this.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:59 pm

Nice one, Pran. That was indeed the name I was racking my brains for.
In any case, I have had more than a little correspondence with the SOuth African ballistician Chris Bekker and I shall ask him about this.
Don't think it will amount to anything other than a belly laugh but worth asking all the same. Thanks.

Mack The Knife