Views on Diana RWS P5

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi sujoy

Post by panks » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:37 pm

who says air pistols are not apt for hunting?? It depends on the range that you want to fire and the air pistil you use.

have a look at this website and about crossman 1377 or 1322 to clear your doubts about the power of a airpistol.

These are not CO2 pistols

http://www.network54.com/Forum/374779/page-8

These are serious air pistosl for plinking and hunting

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:32 pm

Pankaj,

Whether one is using a rifle or pistol, what it boils down to is one's competence in putting the shots into the kill zone consistently rather than the muzzle energy.

You are probably aware of this. However, you did not mention it and since there are far too many who do not realise this important point, I would like to use this medium to educate.

Mack The Knife

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

kill zone

Post by panks » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:56 pm

hi rustom,

anybody firing a weapon should be well aware of killzones and limitations of the gun, if they dont know the basics, then whats the point. I mean there is no point in firing a big bore in an elephants ar*e, just because it is a big bore gun,

guys handling weapons of any kind should know all about muzzle energy, drop, kill zones, effective range etc.

a .22 LR or HMR can travel over a kilometre but that doesnt mean it has a effecive range even of 500 metres.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

air pistols

Post by dev » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:21 am

"Air Pistols of any make are not suitable for making clean kills. To get into
serious hunting, get an Air Rifle while the oppurtunity lasts."

While I agree about the air rifle bit, you may have meant well but there are a lot of hunting level air pistols. The 5g at 700 fps is almost like an air rifle. The Crosman 2240, 1377 series with slight modifications are up to it, so is the IZH 46M. One chap potted a dove at 12m with a neck shot.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:01 pm

It is only about the power but also the mutt behind the butt and there aren't too many of those around on this board.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Hi Dev,

The extra length that one has to go to select from a limited variety, customize, ruling out FAC power and creep the closest possible to the prey surely makes air pistols a distant choice for hunting; besides their inferior accuracy to AR's. Huge efforts to extract a result which is not the original purpose it is intended for.

Even perked up, pellets from air pistols would hit the kill zone only from the best shots. Will that guy be reasonably certain to hit the neck everytime from 12 mts ?

Someone can hunt / kill at close range if dedicated to AP's but to get the
'job done' only AR's.

Regards,

Sujay
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Air pistols

Post by dev » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi Buddy,

Agreed hundred percent but my thinking has changed a little. I prefer an air pistol as you are more likely to pack it while camping or off roading.

Then some air pistols can be scoped or red dotted for better shots. Normally some of these air pistols are almost carbines.

I prefered my national .22 with a Maccari spring for most of my daily plinking, now I long for a pump pistol. And I am enjoying my IZH a lot as we plink between work sometimes.

Regards,

Dev

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Air pistols

Post by Sujay » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 pm

dev wrote:
now I long for a pump pistol.
I too. $ 55 Crossmans is tempting and deserves some research.

If you come across websites ready to ship to India ( the Crossmans)
please let me know.

Regards,

Sujay

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:05 pm

I didn't even have to think twice about the Crossman :D

Ordered one ... the 1377C.. should be at my door in a couple of days. Got it from Amazon... with 500 pellets... Total was $70.

Maybe pics and a first hand review later when I put some shots through it!!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

air pistol dealers who will ship to India

Post by dev » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:41 pm

Hi Sujay,

[email protected]

He does modifications to the 1377 like slapping on a .22 barrel and bolt, steel breech and valve modifications. Each modification is $40, so the pistol will be about $120 plus shipping.

Drop him a line. He normally replies fast to potential buyers. Sometimes it takes longer if you post questions on the order form.

Regards,

Dev

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: air pistol dealers who will ship to India

Post by Sujay » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 pm

dev wrote:Hi Sujay,

[email protected]

He does modifications to the 1377

Drop him a line. He normally replies fast to potential buyers. Sometimes it takes longer if you post questions on the order form.

Regards,

Dev
Thanks Dev.

What modifications would you suggest to increase the power to the maximum possible retaining the 0.177 calibre ? Also, what is the procedure of payment ? Isn't it quite cumbersome in Tim's site ?

Regards,

Sujay

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

tim's form

Post by dev » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Use the order form. Fill in your need for a 1377 in .177 with a longer barrel, valve mod and trigger mod.

He will send the form back to you with an estimate. Then fill in your credit card details. Plus last three digits of your card, the anti-fraud code. Till now I've never been conned. And he double packs it and send it to you.

Try it out and let me know. The 1377 mods that Tim will do will mainly comprise of a light spring inside the valve and a tougher spring for the striker. Normally it allows you to pump more than the ten pumps and dump all the air at one go. There are more people who modify a 1377 but they don't take credit cards and its a pain to get stuff out of them.

A longer barrel normally helps to increase velocity for pumpers and gas pistols. If I remember a correctly a 14 inch barrel is the max you can go with pumpers. After this the science of efficiency and gouble dook I can't understand takes over.

Regards,

Dev