Importing 22lr pistol via Transfer of Residence

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Importing 22lr pistol via Transfer of Residence

Post by archer » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:10 pm

Hi All,

I will be moving back to Bangalore from USA next month and am planning on importing my 22lr pistol that I have owned for 8 years. I will apply for my license once I land in India.
I am a life member at Maharashtra Rifle Association where I resided before moving to USA and I have been a member at NRA and local gun clubs here.
Any recent experience importing via TR at Bangalore? I am familiar with the overall rules of importing a firearm on TR, but any guidance on recent changes would be very helpful.

Thnaks
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
joyjob23
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Importing 22lr pistol via Transfer of Residence

Post by joyjob23 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:02 am

Just land with your pistol without any ammunition in Bangalore along with your proof of ownership and proof of stay in USA. also get a firearms safety (knowledge) certificate from USA. declare the pistol in red channel and get a receipt from them. take that receipt and apply for a firearms licence along with all the documents (even travel tickets, work experience letter, firearms safety certificate, rifle club membership), attach photo of your gun storage place at home. hopefully you should get the licence in 3-4 months. now take the licence and along with a NOC from the police to the customs and pay the demurrage and custom duty and a letter to the custom dept of Karnataka to release your weapon.

Sohrab
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sohrab » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:54 am

joyjob23 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:02 am
Just land with your pistol without any ammunition in Bangalore.
Hey good morning,
As I was reading your reply sir you have specifically mentioned not to bring ammunition with handgun Under transfer of residence. Is there a any problem with bringing in the ammo or they cause problems at custom? Please let me know as I am also bringing handgun along with ammo under transfer of residence. Is there some thing that I need to be worried about bringing ammo because as far as I know you can bring upto 50 rounds.
Please let me know to the best of your knowledge.
Thanks

Please, next time open a new thread and don't hijack someone else's question -- moderator

joyjob23
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by joyjob23 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:16 am

You can bring 50 Rounds of ammunition for your specified caliber of firearm endorsed on your Indian arms licence, which you might not have at this moment. So this might cause an issue. and also check that you are bringing a non prohibited bore firearm as procuring a prohibited bore firearm will be quite difficult.

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi @archer
Any updates? Do share your experience. Were you able to get a license in Bangalore?

Mk621
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Mk621 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:43 pm

So is it permissible to bring a gun bought in US to India. What are the conditions