Transfer of Arms

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Transfer of Arms

Post by tirths » Tue May 06, 2008 10:27 am

Friends,

My Father-in-law was owning an imported SB Shot gun ( I don't know the name). Sadly he passed away before he transfered the weapon and the family members deposited the weapon in the nearest P.Stn. for safe custody. Meanwhile, my Late father-in-law's license has expired.

My question is, whether my Mother-in-law is eligible to transfer the weapon to my name? if so, how should we proceed? I don't have a firearms license. Should I have to apply a fresh one?

Some light on this will be a great help.

-Tirtha

For Advertising mail webmaster
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 am

In this case the procedure will be the same as for the new Licence.First of all get hold of a SBBL licence then it can be transfered after some formalities.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 pm

if your father-in-law has writen to whom he wishes to give the gun in his last will, that person can only transfer to you [best of my knowledge]
cherian.k.k.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Transfer of Arms

Post by Risala » Tue May 06, 2008 12:50 pm

The legal heirs of the licensee will deposit the weapon which
belongs to the deceased after obtaining written permission
from the Lic authority in a police station or
with an arms dealer.The application will be on plain paper along with
copy of death certificate and original Arm license.

The legal heir of the deceased licensee will then apply for a licence(in case he does not have one) to the Lic authority along with the following documents:-

a)Indemnity bond on Rs.100/- stamp paper duly attested by SDM/Notary
b)NOCs from all legal heirs on Rs.10/- stamp paper duly attested (each)
c)Weapon Deposit Slip (issued by the police station or arms dealer)
d)Death Certificate
e)Photocopy of the license of the purchaser, if weapon is being sold to a third party.
f)Original license of the deceased licensee (if already not deposited).

HTH

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Tue May 06, 2008 9:30 pm

As per your Q, first apply a licence for SBBL gun, next ask the legal heirs of your late F in L to sign & give a NOC regarding the transfer in your licence (to be executed in Rs.10/- stamp paper either by Executive Magistrate / Notary.) which should also accompany the death certificate or any last will if any of your Lt.F in L Then apply for the transfer of the gun in your licence applying before the authority concerned at your place should be DM at your place ? don't forget to mention on the application the mode of Transfer either by way of GIFT/SALE/etc..
In some places the authority normaly allowes the legal heirs to sell the weapon to some local arms dealers for the cost, from where you can get it endorsed in your licence. best of luck,
HK,

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Transfer of Arms

Post by tirths » Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks a lot guys!!

-Tirtha