switchblade knives

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
gun nut
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

switchblade knives

Post by gun nut » Tue May 20, 2008 12:46 pm

There are many switchblade knives (also called button knives ) available here in Mysore. Are they legal to own ? They appear to have been made in China for some U S distributors.
Thanks for any relevant info.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue May 20, 2008 2:20 pm

switch blades may be owned-yes i have a couple, bought from Rampur (of the 'Rampuri' fame)they are strictly drawer queens and NOT to be carried.A quality, single blade folder of sub 4 inch class will do all the work, if used correctly,while a 4 inch stilleto will have you in the pokey faster than you can open it.
somehow, they have developed enough negative connotations, to be labelled a 'bad man's knife'
The media will bleat its way into a frenzy of being judge, jury and executioner and label you the accused in the 1930, xyz Vs Govt of India case, and encourage candle lighting to send you to the firing squad.
gallows humor, but its for real. And the cops will fall over backward too...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Very well wrapped up, Doc !!
Button knives = NO HAVE
In the house it shouldn't matter to anybody though....

gun nut
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gun nut » Tue May 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks eljefe and olly for the quick response.But they were beautifully made,really sharp and with no play whatsoever when open.Maybe some day
the cops will change their mind.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: switchblade knives

Post by TenX » Tue May 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Actually, I owned a grand collection of such knives, but lost them all about 11 years ago, when there was a theft in my house.
I would love to possess them again, just as a collector's item. No telling when they will stop making these stuff, no that Chinese (and others)have invaded the market with a whole lot of machine made stuff.