Can a OCI apply for a gun licence?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
sagar_doon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Can a OCI apply for a gun licence?

Post by sagar_doon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:18 pm

I have a peculiar problem on which no body seems to help me.

I am a British Citizen residing in India for the last 16 years. I applied and later became an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). However i still am a British Citizen. I would like to apply for a gun licence since I am residing in a remote jungle area village in Uttarakhand along with my mother and wife. No body seems to know if I can apply for the said licence, not even the clerks at the court.
I would be grateful if anyone could help and advice me in this matter.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm

if you are a british citizen then on what ground are you residing in India for the last 16 years have you also got a indian citizenship ?
Hock ann

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Can a OCI apply for a gun licence?

Post by Risala » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:18 am

He has probably got a PIO card,that allows long term stay without the need to exit for renewing ones visa.

Sagar,consult a local lawyer and ask him to file your application,dont think there should be an issue.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:46 am

Sagar, as I'd mentioned in my reply to you - the law is not concerned with your citizenship, merely the place where you are normally (& legally) resident. If your place of residence is India, you will need to fill out an application (like the rest of us) and file it together with the proper papers (proof of residence, papers backing up your stated need for a firearm etc.). Check out the legal section of the "Knowledge base" here as to how you need to go about applying for an arms license. I know of at least one case of a Spanish citizen (not a PIO but of European descent), who has two firearms on his license here in India.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:50 am

hock ann";p="42088 wrote:if you are a british citizen then on what ground are you residing in India for the last 16 years have you also got a indian citizenship ?
Hock ann
If a foreign citizen is here on a legitimate visa that allows him/ her to live and work here, they can apply for naturalisation (to become an Indian citizen) after 7 years of residing here - but there is no compulsion to do so! There are plenty of expats living all over the country for as long or even longer periods who have never relinquished their citizenship in favour of an Indian passport.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Can a OCI apply for a gun licence?

Post by sudhaiob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Hello
I remember a czech doctor who was on deputation at Trichy and who had a combination rifle , i think it was a 12 double s and s over a .275 which i asked him to pass on to me before his departure, he however presented it to a royal family here on his departure.
Regs
sudhaiob

Zafar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Zafar » Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm

with even those born and living here for decades finding it difficult to get a licence , i think its too small a possibility, but only too small not impossible
you should try for sure Sagar

shukriya
-
Zafar
Ignore the Ignorance of the Ignorant
-
Zafar

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59 pm

sagar_doon

if u not try u do not get.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 pm

Often when we lose all hope & think this is the end, GOD smiles from Heaven & says, "Relax dear, its just a bend & not the end".
Keep on trying.
HK,

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 am

Interesting and inspiring words there... Hock Ann...