MANDATORY TO REGISTER ARMS IF YOU CHANGE RESIDENCE

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

MANDATORY TO REGISTER ARMS IF YOU CHANGE RESIDENCE

Post by hock ann » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Vide-GOVT OF INDIA / MINISTRY HOME AFFAIRS--Letter No-V-11026/8/89-Arms, dated- 4.7.1989. to all
State Govt / U.T.Administrators).

The Sub-rule (3) and (4) of rule 62 of Arms Rules 1962. it is mandatory for the licence holders to register their licences with the local licensing authority when they change their residence.which is outside the District/State for which licences are valid.

I have heard many people stating their difficulties during the Registration of their arms licence to their new place of residence as the required NOC from the original licensing authority is not sent to the local licensing authority in time. some times not even in years. NAGARIFLE & LAWMAN any comments :?:
Hock ann,

For Advertising mail webmaster
icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: MANDATORY TO REGISTER ARMS IF YOU CHANGE RESIDENCE

Post by icemanV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Hockann,

Do you still need tto register if you have All India and you keep travelling Interstate frquently. I have own house in all three places.

Ice

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:51 pm

hi Hock ann

sorry somehow i missed this post and only just seen it.

speaking for my location only, in Nagaland its pretty relaxed here within the district level any way.

At the moment no license are being issued by the DM. by the order of the state govt.

what i have found is that if the matter is important to u then u do all the legwork, ie get NOC etc and take it with u.

or a statement from the home issuing office as something is better then noting.

hi Ice

not sure as to the requriment but as far as know u only have to registers at one address ie main home.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 pm

icemanV";p="49941 wrote:Do you still need tto register if you have All India and you keep travelling Interstate frquently. I have own house in all three places.
I think you will need to register the firearm at all three locations assuming you stay at each of them for long enough periods. What this period is, I do not know but the law requires that if you change your address (and this applies to All India licence holders), you need to register your firearm with the relevant authority within six weeks. So, you could use that as a yardstick if you do not get a definite answer to your question.

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm

In Chennai, the licensing authorities insist that the licence holder should inform the Commissionerate in writing along with the original licence book about the change of address even if it is to the next street. This, apart from informing the local police station. The old address will be struck off and the new one written in its place in the licence book. If the change of residence is to a new locality (a different pincode), then the licence will be re-registered and a new licence number is issued.

Ebenezer

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 pm

would a regd a/d letter sent to the DM/Sp 0f the new location suffice? that is, if one moves interstate to a different state, outside the area of jurisdiction?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Asif, that may work provided you attach a notarised copy of the licence. I register at the Fraser Town copshop and I have not been asked to produce the firearm. They are only interested in the licence and whether the firearm and all relevant details pertaining to it are mentioned therein.

However, it is quite possible that the same procedure may not apply throughout India.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 pm

I guess the operative word is MAY work. dependant on whims and fancies of the arms cerk.I was asked to hand in a copy of house ownership papers for proof of residence,and pay slip -as affordability criteria.Damned if i will, to these criminals in uniform
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am

some thoughtful statement have been made. can anyone clear fly one point.

if you are reg restring and give in ur license to the local authority, would there be a period of time when u will be without license? if so then you would have arms without license in ur possession ion. any thoughts on this?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Naga,

I have handed in my licence at many times for various reasons (application for an additional firearm, renewal of licence, etc.) and have been given an acknowledgement letter which permits me to keep my firearms legally in the absence of the actual licence booklet.

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Mack The Knife,

Is there any possibility that if you reregister your licence ur all india maybe downgraded to local jurisdiction.

Ice

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Ice,

Never thought about this along those lines and I am 99.99% certain that your fears are unfounded.

The only reason for registering with your local police station is so that they know who has what within their jurisdiction. If what you fear was true then my licence that permits me to transport my firearms within Bangalore District, without additional permission, would effectively be reduced to Fraser Town jurisdiction.