GAS RELEASED!!!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ai

GAS RELEASED!!!

Post by ai » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:54 pm

I'm delighted to inform all at IFG that an import made for 12g CO2 capsules has concluded successfuly.

A shipment of 100 capsules was sent to me (posted by myself with return address of the shop purchased from) from UK to Mumbai by surface mail about 4 months back. It had to be in 3 packets due to weight restrictions per packet. Just as I was losing hope of the packets arriving, one of them reached me. For the other two, I got a letter from the Foreign post office to have them cleared from the postal customs.

I met the Custom's Appraising Officer. This happened to be his first assignment in his role- he had just joined. Hence he wanted to be as meticulous as possible. So the easiest route for him was to treat this import in Chapter 93 of the Customs Tarrif Manual- Chapter dealing with Arms and Ammunition, in which the section would be 9305 and the category would be 'other' (spares and accessories of airguns) and shown as 'restricted'. Chapter 93 does not mention either CO2 or propellants.

I argued that CO2 is mentioned in Chapter 28 and shown as 'free'. Since CO2 is specifically mentioned in a chapter, it cannot be treated under another chapter where it is not mentioned, regardless of its end use. This is butressed by the fact that CO2 in this packing/form has multiple uses- such as in Glass soda making bottles (as in old hindi movies). Further, the principal item involved- .177 airguns, are now exempted.

After 3 weeks of consultations with seniors, the appraising officer and the Asst. Commissioner decided to release the packets without any duty, but with a nominal Redemption Fine of Rs500/-. I agreed, since there was a degree of ambiguity, and I cannot ignore that the end use of any product has to be considered, just as in the example cited by them- that Gunpowder is mentioned in a chapter, but Cartridges that use gunpowder are classified in Chapter 93. In my letter in reply to the show cause notice, I requested that the categorization in Chapter 93 be made comprehensive and categorical, and this be taken up with concerned authorities in the interest of sports. The Asst. Commissioner agreed to put this up in the pre-budget suggestion process to the ministry concerned.

The Appraising Officer and the Asst. Commissioner were remarkably helpful, and meticulous. There was no hint of anything unjustified. Except that on final release and exit from the parcel section, the Octroi clerk decided that a tax of Rs80/- is applicable! He offered a 50:50! Of course, I said no, paid the amount (Rs76/- that was actually all the Chutta (change) I had) and got a receipt issued.

Conclusion- citing this example, anyone can import CO2 for personal (not commercial) use through surface mail route. For commercial route, things should not be too tough either, as CO2 is in 'free' category.

Striker- if you clarify the import status and quantity of CO2 you have (WRT to your Sale thread), I can get a licenced importer to consider making commercial imports.

Also see the thread http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=5120 for some more information on CO2
Last edited by ai on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:13 am

Congratulations ai. You've blazed a trail for all of us.

Ashok

ai

Post by ai » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:32 am

I must mention that the international postal rules generally prohibit postage of pressurised gases. So most countries post offices will not accept CO2, such as UAE, Singapore, USA and France. Before initiating a purchase with the objective of booking it as a surface parcel, do check with the post office of that place if the parcel of CO2 can be accepted. Postal websites of several countries have the requisite information, or will reply to email querries and clarify. The declaration should be marked as 'Gift', NCV (No commercial value) and the actual value of the consignment should be below Rs10,000/-.

Also, strictly speaking, the CO2 is in liquid form inside the capsules- it is not 'pressurised gas'! In case you wish to argue with the post office personnel, this is a line you can take. The one I booked with was a pretty lady, and I have the charm, so---!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: GAS RELEASED!!!

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 am

I find it curious as there are seltzer bottles still being manufactured and sold here, this was the first google hit:

http://www.fantes.com/seltzer.html

I even have a couple of these floating around!

Perhaps a person could track down an importer of these into India, and they may have a local supply? Granted they seem to be 8g instead of 12g, but I think mine use the 12g cartridges.

Congrats AI for being successful in your endeavors!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947