criteria for obtaining a license in the sports category

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

criteria for obtaining a license in the sports category

Post by amk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,

In the application for a license for sports does one have to prove current active involvement in shooting sports, participation in competitions or will mere Membership of a Rifle association and general target shooting proof suffice?

If one needs to participate in competitions to get a sports license then how can one participate if he/she doesn't have a gun? I know the clubs have them but they are usually in great demand and difficult to get for someone starting out. It all sounds like a chicken and egg situation to me.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: criteria for obtaining a license in the sports category

Post by mundaire » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Amk,

Just like with most things related to arms licensing in India, it's completely at the discretion of the licensing authority... if they want to give you a hard time, they will! Else, they may even issue you a license under sports/ shooting category if you've simply been to a couple of NCC camps or maybe not even that... like I was saying, there is no set criteria.

Just thinking aloud here... one way forward could be to first compete in a couple of air-rifle/ air-pistol competitions, then on the basis of that try and get yourself a .22 rifle license (as this is a relatively easier license to get), once that is done compete in a few .22 rifle matches, and maybe beg/ borrow a club/ range/ friend's gun to enter in one of the other events - then on the basis of those participation certificates apply for another license etc.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Abhijeet and AMk,
Sorry for addressing you both in the same steam. But Abhijeet the situation is totally diffent in this part of the country. Since only a rifle club membership suffices. Andd trust me when i tell you that of all babudom, Bengal's babudom is the hardest nut to crack..... but then again fully it is the discretion of the licensing authority.
So AMK think that firstly you should go and talk with the clerk dealing with the applications and take him , rather win him on your side and get the cat out of the bag regarding the Commissioner's or DM's Personal Preferences. Well am suggesting you this since it's always a personal preference as Abhijeet said. so all the best buddy... :cheers:
JAyanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Too late for that Jayanta, I applied a few months ago :x

Abhi, as far as the law is concerned, there is no such requirement if I'm not mistaken. What a stupid situation. If I knew this earlier I would have just applied under protection category. But then they would have raised the question why/how do you want to protect yourself with a rifle/shotgun in a city like Mumbai, and you've already got handgun licenses.

I'm not so keen on a long gun as it's completely impractical here, at the local range you can only shoot .22 and I don't go to farms and open areas out of the city very often; I just applied for the heck of it.

Crazy man, I don't like to do this but may have to speak to someone higher up if I get keen.
AMK
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin