Help! Trophy legalities.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Help! Trophy legalities.

Post by HydNawab » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has 4 trophies. Two sambar trophies, one leopard head and one tiger head. All of these are recorded and have been in his family since 3 generations. Now he is shifting to the US and wants to sell the trophies. So he went to the Chief Conservator of Forests in Hyderabad to find out the legal procedure to transfer the trophies. The CCF told him that he cannot sell it to a third party and can only be transferred from father to son or donated to a club or a zoo.

He has spoken to his lawyer and he said that since they are personal belongings, they can be sold or transferred to a third party. Now I am interested in the trophies but can someone please let me know if I can actually buy it off him legally? If so, then please provide the section number in the act.

Your views will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Help! Trophy legalities.

Post by Anand » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 am

Hello Ashar,
There was earlier a post here on IFG about the legal import/export of Wildlife Trophies, supposed to have become illegal (even with CITES) since January 2009. I know this does not directly address your issue, but I am very interested in this matter as well. So long as the paperwork is there I don't see how there would be a problem for selling /buying trophies.
A big problem is also that most of the authorities them selves do not know the law and there is a lot of misinformation and therefore misguidance regarding any matters concerning firearms/wildlife trophies.
I hope you post whatever knowledge you glean,
Thanks,
Anand

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Help! Trophy legalities.

Post by amk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:23 pm

HydNawab wrote:Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has 4 trophies. Two sambar trophies, one leopard head and one tiger head. All of these are recorded and have been in his family since 3 generations. Now he is shifting to the US and wants to sell the trophies. So he went to the Chief Conservator of Forests in Hyderabad to find out the legal procedure to transfer the trophies. The CCF told him that he cannot sell it to a third party and can only be transferred from father to son or donated to a club or a zoo.

He has spoken to his lawyer and he said that since they are personal belongings, they can be sold or transferred to a third party. Now I am interested in the trophies but can someone please let me know if I can actually buy it off him legally? If so, then please provide the section number in the act.

Your views will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Ashar
I was also told by an official that the trophy can't be sold to a 3rd party.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------