What does the word GUN mean in license

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

What does the word GUN mean in license

Post by Vineet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:20 pm

I had recently applied for permission to purchase a rifle and a shot gun on my license.I already have a revolver on it.But was allowed to purchase only one weapon at a time.When I received my license,it mentioned "Allowed to purchase GUN Not Mentioned". Now what does the word GUN mean ? Can I purchase a rifle or does it mean only a shot gun.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: What does the word GUN mean in license

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:08 am

well logically looking at it, one would say that since you can hold up to three arms, so you already have one, so you can take your pick of which you want next, rifle or a shotgun, nice choice you have there :D
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 am

Vineet,

In Punjab, if the permission is given to buy a " NPB Gun " it means a shotgun . If it says " NPB Rifle" then you know what it means.

Also you will be permitted to purchase the firearms one by one only.

Naga,

If wishes were horses ........................ :)

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:47 am

leave and learn :D that arms act is not national but state wise eh :shock:
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

In India we follow the British terminology of referring to a shotgun as a "Gun", other categories would be rifle and pistol. Also, while a .22 rifle may be held on a regular NPB rifle license, you can also specifically apply for a .22 rifle license, in which case it is treated somewhat differently but one is of course limited to being able to keep that calibre rifle.

How is an application for a .22 rifle treated differently? Well as per Section 13 (3) of the Arms Act:

13. Grant of licences

(3) The licensing authority shall grant---

(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required---

(ii) in respect of a point 22 bore rifle or an air rifle to be used for target practice by a member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government;

So in essence, this is a shall issue clause, so long as you are a rifle club/ association member, so your application is pretty much guaranteed to go through.

Also (if I am not mistaken), in this case (.22 rifle license application by a club/ association member), if the police verification report is not received by the licensing authorities within 30 days, they are obliged to waive that requirement and issue the license anyway.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:47 am

ah some good news at last :D
Nagarifle

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 pm

mundaire wrote:In India we follow the British terminology of referring to a shotgun as a "Gun", other categories would be rifle and pistol. Also, while a .22 rifle may be held on a regular NPB rifle license, you can also specifically apply for a .22 rifle license, in which case it is treated somewhat differently but one is of course limited to being able to keep that calibre rifle.

How is an application for a .22 rifle treated differently? Well as per Section 13 (3) of the Arms Act:

13. Grant of licences

(3) The licensing authority shall grant---

(a) a licence under section 3 where the licence is required---

(ii) in respect of a point 22 bore rifle or an air rifle to be used for target practice by a member of a rifle club or rifle association licensed or recognised by the Central Government;

So in essence, this is a shall issue clause, so long as you are a rifle club/ association member, so your application is pretty much guaranteed to go through.

Also (if I am not mistaken), in this case (.22 rifle license application by a club/ association member), if the police verification report is not received by the licensing authorities within 30 days, they are obliged to waive that requirement and issue the license anyway.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Though this may be the true written word; it is not being practiced. If you are not connected or can't spend money then you can be assured that you will not get a license for even a .22 rifle.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------