Arms act chapter II

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Arms act chapter II

Post by nagarifle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:18 am

Arms Act Chapter II Acquisition, possession, manufacture, sale, import, export and transport of arms and ammunition.

3. Licence for acquisition and possession of firearms and ammunition.
(1) No person shall acquire, have in his possession, or carry any firearms or ammunition unless he holds in this behalf a licence issued in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder:
PROVIDED that a person may, without himself holding a licence carry any firearms or ammunition in the presence, or under the written authority, of the holder of the licence for repair or for renewal of the licence or for use by such holder.

Can the members of the forum give reading on what this means and implies?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
CZHarry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Arms act chapter II

Post by CZHarry » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:38 am

Sure. This gives a your 'gun-bearer', valet, maid, manservant or gardener permission to carry your weapon(s) and ammunition whilst going from one place to another. My god man, you don't carry it yourself, do you?
If you give him a note, he has permission to take your guns to the gunsmith, or to go in your place to renew your license. And, you may allow him to use your gun to shoot vermin or targets at some other venue.
:mrgreen:

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:54 am

I used to carry a friend's Beretta to the range when I started shooting. All I had to do was get an authorization letter from him to carry the gun to the range with all the details like gun make, license no, serial number and so on. I also carried a xerox of my friends license. I was informed that this letter of authorization is valid for 30 days and can be renewed.

Never had a problem. Totally legal.

-- Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 --

I used to carry a friend's Beretta to the range when I started shooting. All I had to do was get an authorization letter from him to carry the gun to the range with all the details like gun make, license no, serial number and so on. I also carried a xerox of my friends license. I was informed that this letter of authorization is valid for 30 days and can be renewed.

Never had a problem. Totally legal.
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:32 pm

can a letter of authority be given to someone in regards to buying ammo from a dealer?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 pm

"person may...carry...firearms or ammunition"

The bearer may not use the firearm,though in certain cases the use of a firearm for self defence by a bearer has been held as being valid by courts.He can't buy any ammo on an authority letter.
HydNawab wrote:I used to carry a friend's Beretta to the range when I started shooting. All I had to do was get an authorization letter from him to carry the gun to the range with all the details like gun make, license no, serial number and so on. I also carried a xerox of my friends license. I was informed that this letter of authorization is valid for 30 days and can be renewed.Never had a problem. Totally legal.
This would be legal only if you also had a license for a similar firearm.That you had no problem is no indication of this being legally correct.This would be legal only if the firearm is carried for the following limited objective/s

a)for repair or
b)for renewal of the licence or
c)for use by the licensee

Your carrying your friends pistol does not meet any such criteria.