Pump action shotgun & .30 carbine - PB or NPB?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Pump action shotgun & .30 carbine - PB or NPB?

Post by Vineet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:16 pm

A pump action shot gun is a semi auto weapon and a .30 us carbine is also a semi auto weapon.Then why do pump action comes under NPB and carbine come under PB bore category?Also to keep in mind that like 12 bore, .30 caliber is also a NPB caliber.

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Pump action shotgun and .30 carbine

Post by penpusher » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:39 pm

A pump action shotgun/rifle is not a semi-automatic firearm.A .30 carbine is a semi-automatic rifle.Therefore the former is classified as a Category III(a) firearm[licensing authority -DM] and the latter as Category I(b) firearm[Licensing authority - central MOH]

Forgot to add,the barrel length of the shotgun has to be 20" or more,otherwise it would be considered as a Category I(b) firearm.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm

What does a semi auto weapon means.Its means loading the second catridge itself after the first has been fired and the trigger is released.This is what happens in pump action shotguns and pistols. A .30 semi auto pistol is a NPB and a .30 semi auto rifle is PB.WHY??

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Vineet wrote:Its means loading the second catridge itself after the first has been fired and the trigger is released.
With out you having to manipulate the slide to cycle the action (eject the spent case and chamber a new one) which you have to do in case of a Pump action.Or are you confusing a pump action with a semi-automatic shotgun?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Vineet, it seems what you are talking about is a semi-auto aka self-loading aka auto loading shotgun and not a pump action. In a pump action you need to manually work the action to eject the empty, cock the hammer and load a fresh shell into the chamber - all of this is achieved through a quick backward/ forward movement of the "pump" so it's fairly quick, but a semi-auto it is most certainly not! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok,I got the difference between pump action and semi auto shotgun.Is semi auto shotgun a PB bore? I guess no,its not and then my original question rises again.

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:48 am

All semi-auto rifles and shotguns are prohibited..
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

K S Hanspal
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Pump action shotgun & .30 carbine - PB or NPB?

Post by K S Hanspal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:13 pm

i have endorsement of Gun/ rifle on my license....can i buy a 5 shot pump action shotgun on this endorsement

-- Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 am --

i have endorsement of Gun/ rifle on my license....can i buy a 5 shot pump action shotgun on this endorsement

dobhal87
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dobhal87 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:51 pm

recently i was watching a "Tactical Shotgun for Self defence" video it was american and it said that in america getting a shotgun license is pretty much easier than handgun or Rifles...is it the same with our country ??
Freedom :)

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:18 pm

dobhal87 wrote:recently i was watching a "Tactical Shotgun for Self defence" video it was american and it said that in america getting a shotgun license is pretty much easier than handgun or Rifles...is it the same with our country ??

not any easier then any other guns. which ever you go for the babus rule the roost. (may be a musket may be easy)
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:09 pm

In India you have to show a reason to have a gun, otherwise no gun plain as simple....
The baboos forgot that after the Residency holdover British implemented a very strict gun control in India for civilinas, the present arms act is just a re-coloring of the old British rule , who say that mediocrity doesn't last long ?
Its lasting since ever in our bureaucracy.

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll