carrying a licenced hand gun issued for protection

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
colthead
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

carrying a licenced hand gun issued for protection

Post by colthead » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 pm

dear friends / gurus

please shed some light on my question

what i wanna know is that , post 26/11 ,if a citizen of india who has been issued a licence for a hand gun endorsed for protection , not for sport , if he was to carry the same for his protection and was to visit a mall / 5 star hotel or a cinema hall or to any public place where they have screening of visitors , assuming that he carried his licence with him , what is the leagal status on this ? is it permissable to carry the same

my point is if we have to carry any weapon on flight we go to the screening area and inform the officer that we are carrying a weapon and normally they are cool about it and they direct you to fill the form and the normal procedure , considering that an airport is a high security zone and we can carry the weapon what is the status in a mall / hotel etc

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: carrying a licenced hand gun issued for protection

Post by Risala » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:32 pm

colthead wrote:dear friends / gurus

please shed some light on my question

what i wanna know is that , post 26/11 ,if a citizen of india who has been issued a licence for a hand gun endorsed for protection , not for sport , if he was to carry the same for his protection and was to visit a mall / 5 star hotel or a cinema hall or to any public place where they have screening of visitors , assuming that he carried his licence with him , what is the leagal status on this ? is it permissable to carry the same

my point is if we have to carry any weapon on flight we go to the screening area and inform the officer that we are carrying a weapon and normally they are cool about it and they direct you to fill the form and the normal procedure , considering that an airport is a high security zone and we can carry the weapon what is the status in a mall / hotel etc
No you cant....since most of the places listed above reserve the right to admission...off course if they have a provision for a safe then they might let you....saw it happen in Kanpur where a few folks were carrying a side arm...they had to deposit it in the safe deposit locker the Mall and were issued a token to collect it when leaving...
this doesnt serve the purpose though,so you are better off not carrying it...cheers

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Colthead,
I have encountered both situations. In Hyderabad most malls and theatres now have metal detectors at the entrances/exits, most of these places now maintain a log book/register where a legally armed person/Police officer is asked to enter his Name, License No./Police ID No., Cell Phone No. Police Station Limits,Date & Time of entry. Now all places don't maintain registers and it generally suffices to tell the security guy frisking you that you are legally packing. I have not had trouble so far(thank God).

On the other hand I was attending a quick lunch at a 5 star hotel and they said they dont even allow armed cops (which sounded like bunk to me :roll: ), while i reasoned that i was going in only for like 20 mins they insisted that post 26/11 they had come up with new rules, while they were very polite and I informed them that I could leave if they wanted, the only recourse was that they offered me a safe to put my piece in and keep the key until I left. This was a path of least resistance to me at that time and I took it so as not to inconvenience my lunch host.

I do have portable lockable safe that can be attached by a cable inside my car under the seat, but tend to use it only when I go out of town, usually when visiting temples or attending weddings or such and have to leave my piece in the car. Since the ladies in the family wear jewellery at these occasions I have no choice but to carry.
What Sanjay says is true to the extent that they are well within their right to ask you to leave if they don't want armed people in their premises, but they don't have the legal right to force you to deposit your firearm, that power lies only with officers of the Government/Courts.So you do have a choice...
Regards,
Anand

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:18 pm

I agree with Anand that private institutions like shopping malls/theaters/hotels etc. do not have legal rights to ask for depositing a licensed firearm. For documentation they may ask for license no. etc.(even this is not legal, only police can ask). They are also not legally authorized to keep 3rd party firearms in their locker etc. for "safe custody". It is sad that even after 26/11 they do not realize this. The power to get arms deposited lies only with government/courts. Even government orders can be contested in courts.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Anand wrote:Hi Colthead,
I do have portable lockable safe that can be attached by a cable inside my car under the seat,Regards,
Anand
Hi Anand,

Thats interesting, can you please share a pic or URL for the safe you have? I am sure many people would like to have something like that

-Inder

-- Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:11 pm --

Is it something like this?

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0045006228564a.shtml

Nice
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Kanwar76,
that is exactly what I have, and Cabela's is also the place I got it from :D. I have the larger version, and it comfortably fits either my Feg Hi Power with a spare mag or my Webley & Scott with a couple of speed loaders.
The best part is, not only do I use it in my car, I also use it as a safe in my declared check in baggage when I carry by flight. I use the cable to attach it to the retractable drag-on frame of the baggage on the inside, which basically adds another layer of security to my piece. So, have a locked safe within a locked suitcase attached to it. :D
Regards,
Anand

cooljerry
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by cooljerry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi All,
I have had one experience where they kept the magazine of the pistol with them and let me into the mall.Here in Delhi most places have signs up saying no carrying of firearms allowed in malls, restaurants, hotels etc. I use to leave my weapon in the car at these places. I do not know how safe that is but one has no choice if one is planning to carry the weapon with you.
The safe talked about here is a good idea plan to see how to go about getting it ASAP. Looks good. Please advise your experience of importing if possible.
Thanks
Jerry

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:29 am

I have had one experience where they kept the magazine of the pistol with them and let me into the mall.Here in Delhi most places have signs up saying no carrying of firearms allowed in malls, restaurants, hotels etc. I use to leave my weapon in the car at these places. I do not know how safe that is but one has no choice if one is planning to carry the weapon with you.
The safe talked about here is a good idea plan to see how to go about getting it ASAP. Looks good. Please advise your experience of importing if possible.
Even keeping anyone's magazine/cartridges by private individuals/institutions is not legal. You should fight for it. A criminal will enter with illegal firearms no matter what(did terrorists on 26/11 listen to the signs of "No Firearms" or to the "security" guys? You are issued a firearm license only after licensing authority is fully satisfied, so how do you become a "threat" to security?
The "safe" being discussed does not appear to be a "safe" in any real sense. What if the car with the "safe" itself is stolen?

lionheartguru
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lionheartguru » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:49 am

gentlemen

i agree about the airport thing but somehow dont agree to malls/5stars/etc . coz it happened once when i happened to visit taj(mumbai) and TAj(goa), these people have metal detectors which went red then and after showing the license which i had with me these guys simply said ok and let me inn.It might have been becoz i was with a cop both the times but i was allowed i.e the main point

and why not i have seen people carrying licensed guns even to a ristricted area such as govt offices of narcotics and jewellery shops ,banks and so onn. but i am surely against keepin guns in cars coz if some crook knows about u and ur gun keepin in car habit , he will pick it at the 1st chance . apart from this why should anyone not be allowed to carry licensed guns in hotels or malls ? its actually pointless.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

ajayplahane
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ajayplahane » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 pm

Dear all,
This is where we all need to come together at this point. It is heard that the GOI is reconsidering the policy of arms.
Considering the foolish thinking of baboos which made them issue those 1989 instructions, which had nothing to do with the licensee arms-holders, I am expecting another stride of foolishness from them,
unless we resist.
for this, if somebody is from delhi, he can go to the concerned desk or the secretary and check out what is happening.
If nothing positive is seen, then a group of arms licensees can make a delegation to the secretary and the minister. They should be motivated easily by asking some questions, like- What was the propriety of import ban and particularly its relevance with the assassination of late Mrs Indira Gandhi; what was relevance of 1989 circular's preamble with licensees; have they made any survey and collected data on misuse of arm by a licensee as compared to the total number of incidents, its %age, what about the incidents in uniform services, where they dont need a license, and still govt doesnt need to regulate weapons in their hands etc...
We should also get as much data as is possible , particularly thru' RTI Act....
What do u guys think...
Ajay Lahane