Any Experience-Firearm on Transfer Of Residency

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
james02
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Any Experience-Firearm on Transfer Of Residency

Post by james02 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Guys,
I am planning to get one firearm from abroad on TR(owned it since 2 years),I have a firearm license in India too,Can anyone on this forum share their experiences on getting a firearm to India on Transfer of Residency and its process.I was told by customs in India that, tough i can get one firearm on TR,i Still have to get a license permit for it from DGFT to release it from local customs in India.Seen other threads on this Forum but cant find anyone sharing their experiences on this issue.
Do i need to go to DGFT and get a permit for the release of the weapon?

thanks
James

For Advertising mail webmaster
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Any Experience-Firearm on Transfer Of Residency

Post by james » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 am

There is lots of information on the subject but you need to dig it out .Cheers :) James....

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:40 am

james02 wrote:Hi Guys,
Seen other threads on this Forum but cant find anyone sharing their experiences on this issue.
i remember reading a first hand account of a member who brought a handgun on TR.

i guess you'll just have to persist and dig deeper in the threads :wink:
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:57 am

"I was told by customs in India that, tough i can get one firearm on TR,i Still have to get a license permit for it from DGFT to release it from local customs in India."

The import of firearms on TR comes under Transfer of Residence rules, which are quite clear, so unless changes in rules have taken place recently, there should be no need for DGFT to get involved. I imported in 2003, so dont know new rules (if any) so please check with a Customs officer at a higher level. There is detailed information on how I went about it please do a search.
Regards,
Anand