Applying for an Arms License in India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 am

Dear Comrades,
Last evening I was discussing with someone on Arms act. I am not sure how far what he said is true, but apparently it seems that the GOI is considering amendment of the Arms Act & pass a bill on making India a "Responsible Gun Ownership" friendly nation. Its a big question whether the same will be passed in the Lok Sabha as all the political parties will use this as a platform to either establish their respective parties or overthrow the opposition. This is likely to happen in the summer sessions.
What took me by surprise is that gentleman exactly repeated what Abhijeet had in his interviews, that even if a few civilians had CCW with them during 26/11, the massacre could have been controlled to a great extent. He also quoted that attackers will not strike where they know that people are armed. I know him enough & he is not for/against arms & dont think is net-savvy too...But all these statements were like dejavu for me.
Lets hope whatever he said is actually true & the amendment does happen!
Cheers,
Rup
"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns.”

For Advertising mail webmaster
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Applying for an Arms License in India

Post by indian » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 am

Rup,

is this gentleman an employee of GOI or any other dept. related to this matter.this is something good to hear and lets hope the best :)

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Dear Indian,
He is not an employee of GOI, but has connections in the right places. I dont mean to be rude, but cant really share more details here...he too was reluctant on sharing the source of all this information...but regardless of that & keeping in mind the fact that he is not interested in Arms or possessing a licence or shooting, he still quoted verbatim for what IFG is fighting - RKBA. And if you have been following the statements closely & initiatives by our Hon'ble Home Minister, I am really positive that this may happen really soon. Its the right time for us to strike & strike hard!
On the other hand I know someone who speaks the language of anti-gun lobby, though again I know that he is not a member of the lobby nor is he very influential but he does have his ears in right places. They are citing examples of recent encounters including the one in Delhi where 4 pistols where recovered from the 4 men arrested in Green Park. Though the pistols were illegal German makes & unlicenced, as in other incidents as well they are trying to propogate the same stating that with possession of arms being restrictive if we have so much violence, imagine what if its declared open, there will be a shootout in every street of Delhi or robberies which happened earlier at knife-point will now happen at gun-point - absolutely baseless & illogical. But we know for a fact that our law is really hollow, these opinions will be echoed in hollowness to fight against the amendement (IF AT ALL PROPOSED).
Recently there was yet another piece of news wherein 2 corporators who belonged to Bihar & were living in Navi Mumbai had gun licences for self protection out of Navi Mumbai jurisdiction & without proper papers. There was a PIL & an outcry on the same. Now again here the government wouldnt see this as a pure case of political connections, but will be a victim to the outcry thus putting on hold process of licences with self-defence as the reason for us common citizens & make the scrutiny more & more difficult, as they want to stay away from such PILs.
Am so sure that rival parties will prepare a strong case both for & against amendement of the act & will use it depending on their opponents move.
This is democracy at its best, let the righteous community emerge clear winners!
DISCLAIMER: All this may not be true & I am not to be held responsible for any misinformation (if any). I have purely narrated what I heard & they just maybe casual statements (too much of a coincidence of casualness of these statements though). ;) :)
Cheers,
Rup

PS: I am hoping all the above is true!

shadow
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shadow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Had to append that disclaimer as I dont want to be a rumour-monger. But was too excited to share it with my comrades here who are fighting for a cause!
Maybe whatever I have mentioned acts as some food of thought for all of us & can be used as reference material as to being a "Devil's Advocate" from the anti point of view. Forget the gentlemen & the conversations & look at it purely from point of view of a case study.
It maybe a complete dead cell or a no-brainer, but my two cents for the cause!

My support always,
Rup

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 pm

what can be the reason given for applying for a licence-self protection or else something more

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Sport is another reason specially if you are a part of a state rifle association etc. and might have competed a few times.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm

andy_65_in";p="65118 wrote: what can be the reason given for applying for a licence-self protection or else something more
Self defence/ sports/ crop protection/ display/ security (for banks, security co's etc.).

Hunting used to be a valid reason, but has since been deleted (due to the blanket ban on hunting).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:33 pm

thanks folks

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm

While applying for a sidearm licence is it mandatory to mention the calibre of the weapon or else merely mention revolver or pistol.If one has to mention the cal of the weapon should that mean that the licence holder can acquire only one calibre type of weapon on his licence or else can he acquire more than one calibre of weapon

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:29 pm

andy_65_in";p="65429 wrote: While applying for a sidearm licence is it mandatory to mention the calibre of the weapon or else merely mention revolver or pistol.If one has to mention the cal of the weapon should that mean that the licence holder can acquire only one calibre type of weapon on his licence or else can he acquire more than one calibre of weapon
It is always better to mention NP bore pistol or revolver or rifle (without specifying the calibre) and NP Bore breech loading gun (without specifying SBBL or DBBL) while applying. Thus, the options become wide.
Ebenezer

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Good to hear that GOI is "thinking" of making responsible gun ownership easier.

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

RKBA

Post by nm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

shadow";p="65102 wrote: shooting, he still quoted verbatim for what IFG is fighting - RKBA. And if you have been following the statements closely & initiatives by our Hon'ble Home Minister, I am really positive that this may happen really soon. Its the right time for us to strike & strike hard!
Cheers,
Rup
Hi Rup,

Rightly said, we should strike now and strike hard......

Now that we also have GFI, We should contact the right people (those who can make a difference) and put forward our cause.

In case anyone of us knows such people or just their names, kindly put forward such names and we can work towards furthering RKBA.

Thanks,
Nishant

rvn_venky
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Guidance for applying gun licence

Post by rvn_venky » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi. Experts,

I am currently located in bangalore and hv been accessing this website for sometime now.
Is there Any expert around who can provide guidance (spoonfeeding .....if needed :) ) for applying gun licence.
Pls note- neither do I have a "valid" need for a gun nor the contacts to "get it done"
I am looking at .32 licence
Thx

yogesh mukkettira
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Guidance for applying gun licence

Post by yogesh mukkettira » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:16 am

hi
1)sir in order to obtain a gun license you need to furnish a reason for same this is mandatory you can site reason like sports or self protection
2) go to your nearest police station (under the jurisdriction where you reside) and ask for gun lisence application form fill in with the papers that needs to be endosred with the application form
3) there is no contact nessary for gun lisence all u need to do is be good with the babus that will make things easier because.

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Have you ever applied for an Arms License?

Post by pran80 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi All,

After lots of running around finally last week my local PS filed their report on my application. Though currently no new licences are being issued atleast my application will be ready to be placed in front of DM by the time elections are over.
There is just one little problem due to which the file has not been forwareded to the Circle Officer, the place of my birth is different from the place where i live. Though i have submitted the proof of my residency through a certificate from Tehsildar, Station Incharge is now asking for a certificate from the local counsillor stating the same. Now my area counsillor is cooling his heels in Jail on a murder charge and is not expected to be out for a long time now. What should i do now? It really looks absurd that someone who himself had doubtful character will be vouching on my behalf. Is there any work around? Dear members, kindly advice.

Thanks