Importing Arms & Ammo into India

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:51 pm

diskaon";p="50936 wrote:I me and my wife
I me and my wife??!! Three of you in the marriage - eh? :lol:
diskaon";p="50936 wrote:both own guns abroad for a period of 1 yr and have stayed for more than 2 yrs..etc etc... can we come back with 2 guns!!!
Yes, so long as you own them in your respective names overseas... as per whatever local paperwork you have in that country. Of course you BOTH will need to apply for and receive valid arms licenses on arrival...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by penpusher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 pm

These sentiments are laudable but legally you don't have a leg to stand on. A PIL on these grounds has little chance of being admitted let alone succeeding.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:20 pm

does TR qualify as a reason to apply for a firearm. can we state TR as a reason to own a firearm in INDIA. is that good enogh.

thanx
regards
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

newguy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Import .32 pistol in India

Post by newguy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm

recently my brother got a .32 license in India.
I want to buy a pistol (.32 CZ or Berette) in US and send it to him in India. Can you please help me here ?
1. Can I send him the pistol to India ?
2. How can he clear it through customs - any key points like duty etc ?
3. If this cannot be done - what is the other way of doing it?
(He is ready to come to US and get it back with him if necessary)
Thanks in advance

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Import .32 pistol in India

Post by art_collector » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi Newguy,

Your brother has none of these options available to him to import a pistol from the US.The only way some one can get a firearms from the US is when someone comes back to India under Transfer of Residence and then there is a condition that the firearms cannot be transferred or sold for a lifetime.

AC

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Import .32 pistol in India

Post by indian » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:35 pm

and the pistol should be owned atleast one year prior to return :)

sitar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sitar » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:44 pm

the person who imports a firearm via transfer of residence neither can sell his or her firearm nor even transfer its ownership to someone else
Irrespective of the direction of the wind, the smoke from the cigarette will always tend to go to the non-smoker.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 am

Threads merged...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 am

archer";p="51421 wrote:does TR qualify as a reason to apply for a firearm. can we state TR as a reason to own a firearm in INDIA. is that good enogh.

thanx
regards
hi Archer
i believe that the Arms Act says that license can be had for protection, target/sport shooting. i think one would still need to say why the reason for application. TR is a way to get a firearm which you had while living oversea as part of your household goods.

As you are well aware that the ARMs Act is clear as mud. :D
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:22 am

true nagarifle, thats why i wanna make sure that if i do buy a pistol(here in the US) i want to make the most of it when i return.

thanx
regards
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 am

Parag
one more point to keep in mind is that you are required to be out of India for min 2 years, however short visits are not counted ie few weeks in that two year. otherwise the customs may not consider it TR.
Nagarifle

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Just recapping over the import of arms as TR, it has been pointed out by the members of the forum that once arriving in India on TR one has three months to get the arms license. (if not already have one)

However in the arms act I came across Travelers (temporary) license.

From my understanding with Form VIII one need not go to ones place of residence but apply at port (location) of arrival in India. Once having arrived at ones destination then one is required to obtain normal licence. Here I am quoting from the ARMS ACT

“Travelers (temporary) license The Arms Rules, 1962

1) Subject to the provisions of Rule 8, a license in Form VIII may be granted to any bona fide traveller, proceeding from the place of his arrival in India to his place of destination in India, for the possession and carrying of arms or ammunition for the duration of the journey, by the licensing authority at the place of arrival.
2) A copy of every such licence shall be forthwith sent to the District Magistrate having jurisdiction over the place of destination of the licensee; such authority shall satisfy himself, when necessary, that the licensee has complied with condition 7 entered on the Form of the licence.”

Any views on this?
Nagarifle

ai

Post by ai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm

This case in Delhi High Court is worth reading for some inputs on TR process, relevant laws, and number of arms (one only) that were eventually allowed for import under TR.

http://delhicourts.nic.in/Mar08/ANIRUDH ... %20UOI.pdf

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Importing Arms & Ammo into India

Post by Anand » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Hello guys,
The process was time consuming. I was already familiar with all the laws and rules by 2000 itself but it was a long process at both sides. The main thing was that at that time we were just coming out of an arms embargo and there was a terror watch on India & Pakistan.
The firearm had to be exported only through a Defence department approved exporter, to whom I had to submit all the details of my ownership of firearm in the US and an import/NO certficate from India. I submited the paperwork in January of 2003 as I was told it was at most a 6 week process. It was only in october that the pistol was sent through the US Postal service (apparently the only legal way) while I had reached in April 2003 itself.
Then I had to convince Customs in Mumbai Airport Sorting Office that it was a legitimate import and it was on TR. In fact this was a 2 day affair and was the easiest to do. While it took that much time, the actual meetings at 2 levels namely at Dy.Comm it took 1 hr & Jt.Comm 25 mins.
In fact it took me more than 30 days to convince my DCP to extend the time frame to submit my pistol for inspection.(It had been extended once before so a reluctance to do a second time).
I have to say that having already had an Indian Arms License since 1996 with 2 firearms already and having 2 concealed carry licenses in the USA since February 2000 as well as NRA membership helped in convincing the authorities.
Also I kept records of all purchase receipts, hunting licenses etc. I was visiting India more frequently at that time but was careful in limiting my stay in India to less than 6 months total during the previous 2 years.
The Jt. Comm actually joked with me say "you are not giving us an oppurtunity to catch you anywherë".
Regards,
Anand

Is this okay Mack The Knife??

Puneet
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Puneet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

Anand wrote:Hello guys,
The process was time consuming. I was already familiar with all the laws and rules by 2000 itself but it was a long process at both sides. The main thing was that at that time we were just coming out of an arms embargo and there was a terror watch on India & Pakistan.
The firearm had to be exported only through a Defence department approved exporter, to whom I had to submit all the details of my ownership of firearm in the US and an import/NO certficate from India. I submited the paperwork in January of 2003 as I was told it was at most a 6 week process. It was only in october that the pistol was sent through the US Postal service (apparently the only legal way) while I had reached in April 2003 itself.
Then I had to convince Customs in Mumbai Airport Sorting Office that it was a legitimate import and it was on TR. In fact this was a 2 day affair and was the easiest to do. While it took that much time, the actual meetings at 2 levels namely at Dy.Comm it took 1 hr & Jt.Comm 25 mins.
In fact it took me more than 30 days to convince my DCP to extend the time frame to submit my pistol for inspection.(It had been extended once before so a reluctance to do a second time).
I have to say that having already had an Indian Arms License since 1996 with 2 firearms already and having 2 concealed carry licenses in the USA since February 2000 as well as NRA membership helped in convincing the authorities.
Also I kept records of all purchase receipts, hunting licenses etc. I was visiting India more frequently at that time but was careful in limiting my stay in India to less than 6 months total during the previous 2 years.
The Jt. Comm actually joked with me say "you are not giving us an oppurtunity to catch you anywherë".
Regards,
Anand

Is this okay Mack The Knife??
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this site. I am currently a resident of Gilbert, AZ, USA. Plan on returning to India in 2010. Just bought a S&W MP 327 TRR8 357 Mag. Just applied for a CCW. Have yet to apply for a license from Dehradun. Read Anand's post. How do I physically get the weapon from the US to India. All airlines I contacted are unwilling to transpot it. How does one apply to the defense department and of which country? AlsoHow do I get an NO cert from India. When I apply for a license in Inida, how long is it before the police comes fro verification etc? And how long till I actually get the license?