How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:01 pm

... BTW from the above (or other means of conveyance)it would seem that a bus driver/ conductor or for that matter a cabbie/ auto-rickshaw chappie would be well within his rights to confiscate your firearm and "detain" you... ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Olly";p="36583 wrote:My question remains unanswered... or should I assume that one SHOULD NOT carry a personal licensed concealed firearm while carrying large amounts of cash to/from the bank ?? OR if one should 'apply' to the bank for permission to bring/take cash with a personal concealed firearm ??? :twisted:
Be realistic guys... put yourself in that situation and then suggest... its a real situation with all of us...
The answer is very simple, either you get the bank's permission or you enter the bank without your firearm.

penpusher

Re: How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 pm

BTW found this here http://www.delhimetrorail.com/commuters ... afety.html

"Don’t carry firearms"

I think that you would find the answer to the question that whether you can carry guns in railway carriages in the Railways Act of 1989. However I could not get the relevant link to open(Sec 67.Carriage of dangerous or offensive goods).Keep on getting an error message

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:38 pm

A person with valid licence can carry firearms in train/aircraft is what we were confirming.
Sukhprit jee--- More responsibility is called for in your posts, because from what you wrote has potential to confuse novice.
Regards
VJha 8)

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm

vjha55";p="36626 wrote:A person with valid licence can carry firearms in train/aircraft is what we were confirming.
Sukhprit jee--- More responsibility is called for in your posts, because from what you wrote has potential to confuse novice.
It might be your personal opinion but nothing to that effect ( carrying of firearms in aricrafts by licence holders) has been established by discussion in this thread. Also by now, occassional news of politicians been detained at airports due to firearms being found in checked in baggage should have clarified the matter to you---- that possession of licence does not allow one to tuck in a handgun in person while travelling. However, upon observing the specific formalities of Airlines etc, the firearm may by carried.

Addressing another of your query, one needs a transit licence to carry the handgun purchased from Kanpur to Delhi. After getting the transit licence, he/she has to necessary travel by rail only chiefly due to the hasseles involved with Airlines . ( Please do not ask how X, Y ,Z etc carried his revolver without transit licence )

penpusher,

The relevant provisions of the Railway Act can be read here , but it deals with transportation of dangerous goods etc and not carrying firearm in person.

http://www.iimm.org/knowledge_bank/10_l ... -goods.htm
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:21 pm

Dear Sujay,
TL is not needed if one has all india licence for taking revolver from kanpur to delhi or other places. So train is not at all a problem.
As to aircraft, I agree with you entirely----in addition to licence one has to complete certain formalities.

penpusher jee must have carried his firearms in train with lots of fear knowing that it was illegal. Now discussion on this forum must relieve him of this fear or at least self contmpt for doing illegal things.
Regards
VJha 8)

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 am

May I concur from the discussion that firearms are best left inside the house and/or the locker for providing protection by their mere presence and aroma... They are useless outside the four walls for protection of life and property... as due to them one can get locked up, questioned and.... :D

penpusher

Re: How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:58 pm

VJha55,

I have not had the occassion to carry a handgun on a train.I have however carried a handgun in checked in baggage on an aircraft.

Carrying a firearm on your person,whether concealed or open carry,into an airport ,will get you arrested.You can carry a firearm in the checked in baggage.However there are certain formalities before you can do this.

You can't carry a firearm on a train.However you can carry it in the brake van.You would need to pack it and book it,for this purpose.

Similarly,carrying a firearm into a public place would invite trouble.

You have an arms license,from what I conclude.Let me come to the conditions under which an arms license is granted.

Condition 2 clearly states that the license covers only the licensee and the retainer,if any and the arms and ammunition mentioned in it.It also states that the licensee can lend the firearm for a period not exceeding a fortnight for thepurpose of sport only, to person lawfully entitled to possess such a type of weapon.

You can carry a firearm which has been lent to you by a licensee only if you too have a valid license for that class of firearm/s .It can be carried either in his presence or on his written authority.

Condition 5. The licensee or any retainer acting under this license shall not carry any arms covered thereby otherwise than in good faith ofr the purpose of sport/protection/display;and save where he is specially authorised in this behalf by the District Magistrate concerned,he shall not take any such arms to a fair,religious procession or other public assemblage(or within the Campus or precincts of any educational institution).

People carry a handgun on trains because there is almost no checking on of the belongings of train passengers prior to boarding.I have seen people with shotguns/rifles boarding trains in UP.Try carrying a shotgun/rifle slung on your shoulder at the Delhi railway station and we can discuss this issue after that.

Firearms and munition come in the category of dangerous goods BTW.

Vjhaa55,if you think that what I say is wrong,feel free to contradict me with some facts.By facts I mean Acts/Rules/Notifications/Gov Orders/Court Rulings and not your own exploits.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:15 pm

So according to you, penpusher, you will book your firearms in brakevan of a train as luggage, and then you will travell----------good similarity with what you do when flying, keeping firearms in checkin luggage. But in plane you are secure as everyone has been checked in as a result no danger at all. But what will happen to you gentleman when you do what you suggest and dacoits have all that in the same coach of the train you are in?
Dear, firearms are meant for protecting you, not for keeping in parcelvan. Any law has logic behind it----- a common logic is enough to hold what could be legal or illegal. Although I am not citing any fact but logic suggests that you can carry legally your firearms in train, be it in UP or Delhi.
Regards
VJha 8)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Vjha55,

penpusher's post is about the law relating to the carrying of firearms. Logic or the lack of it has got nothing to do with it.

If you, Olly or any other IFG members wish to interpret the law to suit your requirements, feel free to do so but please don't post about it here as it could get the site and someone reading your posts into trouble.

I trust I have made myself crystal clear.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 pm

vjha55";p="36704 wrote:But what will happen to you gentleman when you do what you suggest and dacoits have all that in the same coach of the train you are in?
Any law has logic behind it----- a common logic is enough to hold what could be legal or illegal. Although I am not citing any fact but logic suggests that you can carry legally your firearms in train, be it in UP or Delhi.
If we are talking logic, I cannot visualise how you will neutralise dacoits with one handgun inside a crowded train ? Or do you fancy all civilian city bred Indian handgun holders at par with portrayals of Wesley Snipes/Bruce Willis ? OK, you have the right to draw, but LOGICALLY, won't you be increasing the danger to you ?

Again, if you really hold that all laws have some logic behind them, I am sorry to say that you are terribly out of sync with laws generally governing firearms and particularly in our country. For example, try to figure out the logic behind the ban on import of firearms !
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm

My own xperience of carrying firearms varies from my own pers tpt to buses to the good old railways but of course these were concealed carry though i had my All India valid licences in original . Maybe as a services officer i can prove my intention to carry these firearms in a better way, i mean for me these carries have been only on postings from one location to another .i am sure the max firearms are carried on trains for whtever be the reason!

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:41 am

Please answer this: how many of us have really booked our revolver/pistol in train as luggage while bringing it from kanpur/kolkata for the first time to our place on TL/all india licence?
Regards
VJha 8)

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 am

Now discussion on this forum must relieve him of this fear or at least self contempt for doing illegal things.

vjha, penpusher (or any one else's) self esteem, or lack of, is NOT a topic of discussion on this board...who appointed you lord high confessor or official psychiatrist? :)

Carrying a licenced handgunm in a concealed manner on the Indian railways can get you
a. nothing
b. arrested if you're frisked-unless you talk yourself out of trouble
c.In the event of a dacoity-and you shoot dead the perpetrators-- a bharat ratna :evil:
d. If you're killed, a 2 line mention in TOI and other rags.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 am

vjha55";p="36736 wrote:Please answer this: how many of us have really booked our revolver/pistol in train as luggage while bringing it from kanpur/kolkata for the first time to our place on TL/all india licence?
.... well I for one have never had the occasion to show-off or be an idiot on Indian Railways. I simply have never had the need to.

To show-off and put in the status-symbol bit, I travel by an expensive Airline- Business Class. I don't need a a pistol, revolver or uzi for that either. ;)