How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 am

In indian context you dont get flights connecting all locations, there are times when even ministers cant do without train. So question is quite relevant.
Regards
VJha 8)

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="Mack The Knife Bana";p="36708"]Vjha55,
If you, Olly or any other IFG members wish to interpret the law to suit your requirements, feel free to do so but please don't post about it here as it could get the site and someone reading your posts into trouble.

My post has got muddy... and I did not re-interpret the law, neither it had anything to do with railways, air travel etc. It was simply to do with local carriage of large amounts of cash to/from a bank. Period. :wink:

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Regarding the Big Amount of cash deposit the private security companies are proving vehicle with armed gaurds,they will come to your place with there van and take u & ur cash to the bank for deposit.If you are depositing in regular basis you can hire them on monthly basis.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Well problem of taking handguns into the bank is almost settled---------we can get permission of the bank authorities to the effect. But what has come out as a sticking issue is transport of the same by railway----even plane is also settled. It is here that a dispassionate analysis of issue is needed----as not much is available in law on the matter in detail.
Regards
VJha 8)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 pm

My post has got muddy... and I did not re-interpret the law, neither it had anything to do with railways, air travel etc. It was simply to do with local carriage of large amounts of cash to/from a bank. Period. :wink:
You did not re-interpret the law but you certainly posted dodgy advice, which is just as bad as those who are trying to reinterpret the law to suit their end of the arguement. Hardly 'muddy' to me.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Absence of Abhijit is making it tough for issues to get settled.
Regards
VJha 8)

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

Post by Risala » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Things arent so bad in this neck of the woods that one needs to carry a side arm at all times,certainly not in

public places like Malls,Hotels,Banks etc.

Dont even bother asking the banks for permission,it will be denied in the first instance,instead ask them to

have the cash delivered or picked up,most banks offer the service.

I think for many a member here carrying a side arm has more to do with the new found penchant of owning

one than a high threat perception :lol:

Khan_Imran
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Khan_Imran » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 pm

YAHAAN PAY We can carry a licensed / concealed handgun without any issue. Though it is prohibited if section 144 is imposed. 144 is the Policy of Criminal Modus operandi that allow a district government to issue orders in public interest that may place a ban on an activity for a specific period of time extending to 2 months. Such a ban is enforced by the police who register cases under section 188 of thE Penal Code for violations of the ban. Section 188 carries a maximum penalty of six months in prison or a fine of up to Rs. 1000 or both. The ban may lifted by the district government at any time or re-imposed after the expiry of the two-month period.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 pm

[quote="Mack The Knife Bana";p="36778"]
Hardly 'muddy' to me.
[/quote]

I too have a fair idea of legalities and illegalities, but since the buck stops at your door, there can be no arguement... hence opinion abandoned.... :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Sanjay";p="36793 wrote:I think for many a member here carrying a side arm has more to do with the new found penchant of owning one than a high threat perception :lol:
You hit the nail on the head, Sanjay. The majority cannot shoot for toffee in non-pressure situations but they have got to pack an iron. Wonder what they did before they got their .32 peashooters.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm

I too have a fair idea of legalities and illegalities, but since the buck stops at your door, there can be no arguement... hence opinion abandoned.... :D
Not good enough. Write hundred times, "I will not carry my peashooter to the bank".

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:08 am

FWIW; I carried my handgun on the train this weekend from Mumbai. Place was crawling with cops and there were innumerable checks however I went in through an entrance right next to where metal detectors were placed. I had my travel permission (or permission to take my firearm to 2 districts out of Maharashtra), don't know what would happen if I was checked and the piece was found.

I carried on person rather than a bag since I feel the safest and most secure place to store your firearm is on person in places like railway stations and trains. Once in the train I put it in my bag and back on person when the train arrived at my destination.

It's rather disturbing to learn that one can't legally carry (even with travel permission) a firearm on trains without going through the procedures of transporting freight. I'm going to now start driving to places where it is feasible instead of taking the train. So much for a greener India!

And before anyone makes any wisecracks; I took my firearm along to shoot, not due to any threat perceptions. Although it is reassuring to have one on you when you are driving through internal country roads at odd hours.

AMK
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Dear AMK
I remember you were concerned about carrying firearms in train, as I was. Collection date of my IOF revolver is 10th March and I have already got my reservation in Rajdhani. I also talked to Railway official on the matter, no problem for licence holder with proper doucumentsl
Regards
VJha 8)

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but I wished to clarify.

So to sum up this deal about concealed carry (please do correct me):

It is legal to carry a licensed weapon concealed.
It is legal to carry a licensed weapon displayed (but a "display" provision is required on license?)

Hypothetical situation. I'm wearing a suit, with a shoulder holstered .45. It gets too hot and I take my jacket off, revealing my set-up and my firearm to anyone that happens to see me.
Will I be breaking any laws?

Same situation, but re-enacted in 3 different locations- private residence, public space (say a park) and public-private space, say a mall type place. What would be the legalities?

Best,
BJL
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:14 pm

You can carry concealed or visible, no need for a "display" license. But try not to carry it visible, it will scare the general public.

You can carry anywhere/eveywhere as permitted by the arms act/rules and as stated in your license conditions (read the booklet).

Not sure about public places owned and run by private entities; malls, cinemas, hotels, etc.

AMK