Procedure for transfer of arms after the owners demise..

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Procedure for transfer of arms after the owners demise..

Post by dc_newbie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:51 pm

This is an old thread - but if anyone is going to deposit their weapons with the local police station - I recommend buying a lockable box or getting one made and putting the weapon/weapons in then.

In my case I had three, so I got a wooden box made by a local carpenter. Size was just large enough hold the dismantled guns. Every-time I had to deposit at the PS - I would open the box, show contents, dismantle, lock and then deposit in the armory/storage room.

For Advertising mail webmaster
apsingh456
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by apsingh456 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:53 pm

Dear Sirs, I am from Varanasi. after death of my father this year in Feb'2023, I deposited his Webley, England revolver at an armoury. Its License is also latest renewed and updated. I had clearly put my request to shop man to arrange to sell it as I didn't want to continue with my father's revolver. His revolver license is first issued from Faizabad, U.P. For unknown reasons first, the shop owner repeatedly tried to convince me to get the weapon transferred in my own name and to not to sell it. But after my stubborn stand, he agreed. He has kept my father's gun, Original slip etc. all with me. Now even after 7 months, when he is simply circumventing the matter (earlier he had told me that he would sent the file and papers to Faizabad and once approval is received from Faizabad police or district admin authorities, he will manage its selling) I told him that if he is not able to help me, I will take the gun back from him, would deposit to some other shop who can really help me to sell the weapon. At this he said that 'Sir, now the weapon will not go out of my shop unless it is transferred to other person or you get a license of weapon and take it back'. I am stunned. I asked him how come, and on what basis he is telling me so, he responded that 'Sir, you see the rules'. I couldn't retaliate further and hence surfed the web and arrived here. This is quite useful page in fact for these kind of matters.

Can anyone help me and guide me on this point please? I am Abhay Singh.

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by bandukbhandar » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Now you can't take the weapon and deposit at other arms dealer.
You can now only sale it or endorsed it on a new license permitted to possess a revolver,

pratikpranay
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by pratikpranay » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:56 pm

apsingh456 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:53 pm
Dear Sirs, I am from Varanasi. after death of my father this year in Feb'2023, I deposited his Webley, England revolver at an armoury. Its License is also latest renewed and updated. I had clearly put my request to shop man to arrange to sell it as I didn't want to continue with my father's revolver. His revolver license is first issued from Faizabad, U.P. For unknown reasons first, the shop owner repeatedly tried to convince me to get the weapon transferred in my own name and to not to sell it. But after my stubborn stand, he agreed. He has kept my father's gun, Original slip etc. all with me. Now even after 7 months, when he is simply circumventing the matter (earlier he had told me that he would sent the file and papers to Faizabad and once approval is received from Faizabad police or district admin authorities, he will manage its selling) I told him that if he is not able to help me, I will take the gun back from him, would deposit to some other shop who can really help me to sell the weapon. At this he said that 'Sir, now the weapon will not go out of my shop unless it is transferred to other person or you get a license of weapon and take it back'. I am stunned. I asked him how come, and on what basis he is telling me so, he responded that 'Sir, you see the rules'. I couldn't retaliate further and hence surfed the web and arrived here. This is quite useful page in fact for these kind of matters.

Can anyone help me and guide me on this point please? I am Abhay Singh.
You can contact to the Dm Office the district from where the licence was last renewed and submit an application stating that due to unavoidable reasons, I want to release my weapon from shop X and deposit it to shop Y. They will grant a order regarding same and the shop X will have to follow it strictly.