Can a NRI apply for a Gun License

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Can a NRI apply for a Gun License

Post by shooter50 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Can a holder of an Indian passport who has NRI status as per the Income Tax Act and visits India regularly, apply for a Gun license from his permanent Indian address?

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can a NRI apply for a Gun License

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Any person residing in territory of India can have arms license for self defense, that includes tourists, foreign nationals, NRIs etc. since self defense is a part of Right to Life, guaranteed by Constitution of India to all persons(please refer recent judgment of High Court at http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15). In my opinion yes NRI can have arms license for self defense. If desired he can also make some other person of his family as a retainer so that the firearm can be taken care of, used by the retainer in his absence.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:45 pm

hi GBM
does not the new policy state the OCI can not have arms licence for protection? (OCI are in a way foreign nationals, but they can for family heirloom). (if so, that is stupid law) also my reading regarding oci having arms licence is that only for protection they can not be issued a licence, but for family heirloom and sports they can.

what is your reading on that one?

mods please mere this thread with other one of the same nature
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:54 pm

In my opinion this policy that bars OCI from having arms license for self protection is clear violation of article 21 of Constitution and matter can be contested in court.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 pm

here is a question which can clear up lots of issues, not only in regards to arms etc but for other issues as well. so here goes.

Does the Indian Constitution applies to citizen of India only or to any one who resides in India?

followed by my next question if the constitution applies to all residing in India then why is there a Foreigners Act? as this act sets out what a Foreigners can and can not do while in India.(does not cover every area ie the arms act etc)

am not putting any one on the stand but a clear understanding is most welcomed.
Nagarifle

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a friend who is a doctor in London.
He applied for a pistol licence 3 years ago . Still has not got the licence.
In India , once you apply for a licence , you've got to follow it up (unless you are a VIP) from one office to the other. Else you can be rest assure that your application will collect dust in the Asla Babu's (Arms Clerks) desk.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm

How many doctor friends do you have in london who are into guns? :wink:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 pm

i have one :lol: he is right brain case about gun, he eats guns, sleeps guns and if i might add s*** guns,(well maybe, do not know him that well, for that)
Nagarifle

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 pm

foreigner and NRIs if they stay in India longer then 6 months have to pay tax on all their income in India. so seems in this part they are under Indian regulation. but if you will go to court to file a petition, then judge may ask you, - show me on the basis of which law foreigners can file such petition in India.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:41 pm

when it comes to tax every country in the world will tax everyone, but when it comes to other issues other kind of law applies. ie in UK a if a foreigners are residents then they can vote in the UK elections.

same is not so in India. even if you pay tax.
Nagarifle

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 pm

prashantsingh wrote: once you apply for a licence , you've got to follow it up (unless you are a VIP) from one office to the other. Else you can be rest assure that your application will collect dust in the Asla Babu's (Arms Clerks) desk.
Really? Which place is this? I don't remember following the progress of my Indian arms license. I do remember the interviews and letters and telegrams though that Delhi Police used to send me ever so often
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:
Really? Which place is this? I don't remember following the progress of my Indian arms license. I do remember the interviews and letters and telegrams though that Delhi Police used to send me ever so often
This is Uttar Pradesh and later Uttarakhand.
I have 3 licences, one was made when Uttarakhand was a part of U.P. and the other 2 when it became a seperate state.
Had to follow it up and meet the SP for my Police verification.
Then the file went to the Tehsildar
and finally to the D.M.
The same process was repeated every time (3) I applied.
Interestingly there was a time when one could endorse as many as 3 weapons on a single licence. eg. My grandfathers licence had three rifles endorsed on the same.

Must say you guys in Delhi are rather lucky.

P.S. The running around did help cause I got my licences
comparitively earlier. Interestingly my friend (the anaesthetist)
hasn't got anything from the arms clerk (apart from his application
number) in the past 3 years.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:27 pm

looks like your friend needs to run back from London, and do more running around the offices :D that should get him mad and fit :lol:
Nagarifle

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 pm

I have a question, I want to apply for a 12 bore license(gun belongs to my uncle) - what reason do I state in my application form?. I am not a big time business man but still can I write self defence? I am not a member of the local shooting club and dont plan to become one because it costs Rs 1lakh plus. I would be greatful for guidance received.

reg drifter

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 pm

nagarifle wrote:i have one :lol: he is right brain case about gun, he eats guns, sleeps guns and if i might add s*** guns,(well maybe, do not know him that well, for that)
:lol: :lol: :agree:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.