TR on student...(Success story updated)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Transfer of Residence for students...

Post by surajshuresh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:36 am

Bhargav,

yes i have contacted the customs too waiting for the reply. These companies are well aware of the customs laws because thats what they do... There are many laws here in Australia too its hard to get a gun also so i am all jacked up about this but i am giving a try. I have contacted the police here to waiting for there reply to.If it works out good if it does not happen then anyways i am going to come to USA after i finish my course here so i will coming there for a master degree. May be stay there for a 1.5 years or so there is lot of time for me to get a hunting license and a firearm. At least then i will be able to get one in to India.

For Advertising mail webmaster
surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 pm

HI guys my first step in my TR journey just became a pistol club member and did my induction also all paper work finished. Just waiting for my license it will take 6 weeks then i start shooting in the range 1st 3 months is training and i cant buy a gun until i finish my 1st 6 months and complete the required training and competitions. The club looks fun as we individual and inter club competitions and they have in house shop and members can get guns to shoot for free only pay for the ammo and target i will shooting from .22lr to 50 cal desert eagle cant wait for that guys...they got all glocks,1911,sig, s&w,ruger etc...will be firing off all...but there is a lot of cost involved in to these shooting thing in Sydney guys not cheap at all by the time i get the gun to India god know how many laks i will be spending. cost involved is club fee, license fee,transport to range cost, ammo and target free, gun cost when i get one, storage cost its a doller a day dam, then comes all the expenses on the Indian side like club fee, license fee, customs this is what i hate 170% for gun on TR damm... Another thing i am confused to which gun to get i have few options in my mind
1: s&w 686 plus 357 mag...
2: 1911 dont know which make and cal because most of them are 45 acp which is prohibited in india i guess...
3: sig sauer p226 cal dont know any suggestions guys...
4: any suggestions guys i was deeply in to revolvers but now i like pistols too and i am confused contemplating between them...
keep in mind the minimum barrel length for revolvers is 4in and pistols is 4.7in so 1911 i can get only government models...
plz suggest a pistol cal for India i want to if ammo is available i know its hard but some times they come to the market right???
i will keep you updated guys will let you know when my license card comes ok...tc guys...

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi guys can anyone tell me what is the current duty for firearms on TR. Will duty be applied for the 50 ammo also. I saw some where that the duty for firearms on TR was 150%... :shock: :shock: :shock: This is really to much. Is there any way to reduce the duty cost... I know its a stupid question...

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:23 pm

yap its a stupid question.lol no duty of 50 carts only
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:37 pm

It is supposed to be something like 163.5% but I was charged 150% over the cost of the pistol and cartridges put together on one receipt. I neither questioned it nor complained, I was just glad to have got my stuff!!

My understanding is that any thing more than 50 cartridges imported whether on TR or when you go on visits abroad is to be charged duty, but I don't know the percentage.
Regards,
Anand

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi thanks for the reply guys...
Anand thats is what i saw some where the duty was 163.5% for ammo more than 50...are we allowed to bring in more than 50 i.e above 50 duty of 163.5% will be paid...has this happened???

The duty for firearms on TR was 150% the reason i feel this is to much is because my 1st option on TR is a custom 1911 and even here is Australia imported from USA they are dam expensive around AUD 1000 more then the USA price. So imagine i pay AUD 4000 for a custom 1911 150% duty is AUD 6000 that is crazy too much for me because there more 1000's of dollers spend here on other shooting expenses... What to do... Hi Anand one more question what documents did you show customs 1: to prove it was yours and one year old. 2: valuation for paying duty...

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm

It's a privilege to get new imported firearm in India.

If you make a decision to drive Ferrari in India, you can't complain about price then or stick to what is locally available.

Don't forget about procurement of license in India as I suggested in PM.

I have no intentions discourage you but you will struggle a lot on this as you can't just buy any firearm of your choice on H category license in Australia. Before you get purchase permit from police, you will need to install a safe which has to be bolted to floor or wall. Just this exercise itself will cost you atleaset $500.

There are number of issues other than this. Be careful before you make any move.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi avi88 long time man... Thanks for the reply...
1: getting a firearms license in India is not a big deal for me, have a lot of family members in the government like IGP, MLA and MP and my dads a senior lawyer too. I asked my my dad and he told "its not a problem to get you come here we can get it done"...
2: I know all the laws in Australia i have already spend around AUD 1000 for club and other things... My club is nice and friendly they got a nice shop too... I know all about licenses and probationary H,safe, handgun sizes limits and all... After six months i will be buying only one center fire pistol or revolver. the only worry is all 1000's dollers...lol...hahaha... But i am guessing its worth it mate...

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:01 pm

I just hope and pray that i dont get any big hurdles in this journey... I hope if i successfully get it a handgun in to India is not only a happy movement for me but also for all the IFG's also...

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Suraj, to calculate the value of the pistol, Customs used the purchase receipt which also had the date of purchase, which at that time was more than 1 year old.

I don't know of any one who has imported cartridges on one of their foreign trips, let alone more than 50 :roll: .

1.The first problem is, most countries will not allow ammunition purchases by visitors, usually you have to be a permanent resident if not a citizen.
2.The second problem is that even from a country where it may be easier, for example USA, an export license and a bunch of paperwork is usually necessary, that takes time, and may or may not be worth it for a measly 50 cartridges.
3.The third problem is that even if the above two problems can be overcome, the cartridges very likely in your checked in baggage will create problems for you in any country that you may be flying through. For example fying from the USA via London or Frankfurt.
4.The fourth problem would be, incase the country that you purchased the ammo from, does not allow you to take it in your checked baggage but insists on sending it separately by their Postal Service, or through a freight/courier company then you would have difficulty with our Customs service as AFAIK, there is a rule against the of import arms or ammunition via the postal service or courier except in limited circumstances.

Regards,
Anand

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi thanks for the reply Anand... Thats the dam problem in getting a gun where you get the ammo in India. Its like owning a Ferrari but not able to get fuel for the Ferrari... I am planning on getting any one of these calibers .356 mag, .357 sig, .38 super the problem is the availability of these ammo in India... Here i can find guns in .22lr but hard to find .32 because usually .32 are small size guns and here the limit on barrel length is mini of 4in for revolvers and 5in for pistols...so no ppk, tomcat and all here... I was looking at custom 1911 and they a dam 8 months lead time...Hi Anand which handgun did you import if you mind telling me... Are you able to find ammo for it...

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 am

Look into australian arms auctions, coming up in October. You will be amazed when you see the catalogue.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi avi88 was seeing the auctions site it says next one is in south australia???... I saw some auction going on in sydney there was a notice in my club but i did not look in to it...i missed the SSAA shot show this also...dam...is .32 s&w and .32 acp popular here...

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Details below. Don't know which auction you were talking about.

Next Auction
Australian Arms Auctions - October 2012 Auction No 39
Date of Auction: Saturday 6th October, 2012 at 6pm & Sunday 7th October, 2012 at 10am

Viewing: Saturday 12 noon to 5pm & Sunday 8am - 10am

Venue: Eley Park Community Centre

Location: 87 Eley Road, Blackburn South, Victoria - Melways Ref: 61-H5

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:44 pm

hi thanks avi88 i have a question according to your view what cal or handgun is sensible to take in to India because of the ammo problem in India...