Import of airguns and firearms.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Import of airguns and firearms.

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I have just received the following SMS from someone at NRAI.

Import open to all participants of NSCC duty free subject to MQS as per 17.6 of match book. Details will be available tomorrow on our website www.nrai.in
Enjoy IMPORT!

I think I will start hitting the range again.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Import of airguns and firearms.

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Mack The Knife,

Is it only Airguns or shotguns also?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Read the title again.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Oh...Sorry...My Mistake....gr88 News atlast a step in right direction :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:49 am

http://www.nrai.in/news.html#1

A right step.Thanks for the good news and thanks to everyone who had a hand in achieving this. :) :D I can already see a drop in prices.A tiny bit at least.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:20 am

Vikram";p="21267 wrote:http://www.nrai.in/news.html#1

I can already see a drop in prices.A tiny bit at least.

Vikram
HI! I think all the non-Issf shooters who r celebrating need to go to the NRAI website and chk out the conditions for tfr of weapons by shooters who hav imported them. Even if the dude does sack off his import without following proper procedure he will go for a toss and not be allowed to import again.
2. This policy will mostly help shooters who were participating with borrowed arms and unless u have a huge stroke of luck u simply could not make top 25 or become a renowned shot with a unfamiliar arm u just laid ur hands on half an hour bfore the comp.
3. This policy will also help shooters get their choice of ammo in adequate numbers to practice in a more scientific and regimented manner rather than just practice bfore the comps or having to stop practice bcoz no ammo was available.
4. Help shooters get their ammo quota enhanced and screw the govt. babus into actually having to do some work rather than exercise their discretion and at their whims and fancies favour their friends and harass the shooters.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:44 am

This policy will mostly help shooters who were participating with borrowed arms and unless u have a huge stroke of luck u simply could not make top 25 or become a renowned shot with a unfamiliar arm u just laid ur hands on half an hour bfore the comp.
Correct me if I am wrong,but the condition of import being allowed only to the top 25 has been done away with this change.

"...it has been decided that all the shooters who have participated in the National Shooting Championship, whether through Qualifying Tournament or from Wild Card Entry, will be treated as Renowned Shooter provided they attain Minimum Qualifying Score."

This certainly seems to suggest this

penpusher

shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:53 pm

penpusher";p="21292 wrote:
This policy will mostly help shooters who were participating with borrowed arms and unless u have a huge stroke of luck u simply could not make top 25 or become a renowned shot with a unfamiliar arm u just laid ur hands on half an hour bfore the comp.
Correct me if I am wrong,but the condition of import being allowed only to the top 25 has been done away with this change.

"...it has been decided that all the shooters who have participated in the National Shooting Championship, whether through Qualifying Tournament or from Wild Card Entry, will be treated as Renowned Shooter provided they attain Minimum Qualifying Score."

This certainly seems to suggest this

penpusher
Yes penpusher if u read my mssg it says that attaining top 25 status or making it to the top half if there were less than 30 shooters to become a renowned shot on borrowed weapons was difficult. now u just have to shoot the mqs regardless of the number of ppl competing.Even if u r not in the top 25 but shoot mqs and be a renowned shot - so shooters benifit in terms of arms and ammo import

I also wrote about the tfr of weapons which is not easy to do so we shall see increase in the number of imports but not much increase in the number of transfers.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 am

As an Indian citizen resident overseas I have some questions, partly tempered by my deep distrust of the NRAI and it's activities:

1. Does this pertain only to competitions conducted by the NRAI/ISSF or is it open to participants in competitions conducted by established bodies in other branches of the shooting sports?

2. Let's say a shooter achieves the minimum qualifying scores in three different matches - one rimfire rifle, one centrefire rifle and one shotgun event - then what? Can he/she import guns in each category and sell off what older guns he/she has on his/her license in India?

3. In centrefire rifle matches, the import of guns is only one part of the whole business. Barrels, especially in HP matches need to be replaced after every 5000 to 6000 rounds shot through them. What happens when this comes up? Also, if there is a newer development - say a shooter with a 6.5x55 Swedish match rifle wants to rebarrel his rifle for 6.5x47 would that, for example be permitted?

4. What happens if a shooter who lives abroad wants to come to India with his/her rifle to participate in the Nationals themselves for example? If I were to buy a rifle by Prairie Gun Works or David Tubb and wanted to come in to take part, when Nana PAtekar participates with a Tanner given by the army, can I? Or, if I would like to bring a rifle for friends here to shoot with? :wink: :wink: Can't find icons for nudge, nudge. :lol:

5. What about ammunition imports? Or handloading equipment and consumables? A rifle without ammunition is little better than a club. A match rifle without high grade ammunition is worse...

There are many more questions that I could raise... I shall be cautiously positive and accept this as an announcement of merit especially as regards the shotgun sports and to a lesser extent the rimfire matches. But I shall be watching for both responses to the queries that I have raised above as well as for what follow up action is performed by the NRAI and the GoI in particular on this initial half step.

Good luck, guys, to all those who wish to take advantage of this! Hope the bulk of importers are from this forum. 8) All the very best!

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:42 am

In all this feed-frenzy euphoria, one thing remains constant... An average everyday, non-competing shooter will continue to be regarded by the system as a potential criminal up to no good.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:28 pm

with lil knowledge i have, i hav tried to ans some of questions raised :)
[quote="mehulkamdar";p="21313"]
As an Indian citizen resident overseas I have some questions, partly tempered by my deep distrust of the NRAI and it's activities:

1. Does this pertain only to competitions conducted by the NRAI/ISSF or is it open to participants in competitions conducted by established bodies in other branches of the shooting sports?
Ans:- Yes(here is means nationals)
2. Let's say a shooter achieves the minimum qualifying scores in three different matches - one rimfire rifle, one centrefire rifle and one shotgun event - then what? Can he/she import guns in each category and sell off what older guns he/she has on his/her license in India?
Ans:- Yes, they can import in respective categories, but i am sure getting permit approval wont be easy as person has to permitt approved by Sports Authority and I think NRAI too. Selling older weapon, there is no compulsion on that, complusion is on new weapon which u import, that cannot be sold on with first 5 yrs.

3. In centrefire rifle matches, the import of guns is only one part of the whole business. Barrels, especially in HP matches need to be replaced after every 5000 to 6000 rounds shot through them. What happens when this comes up? Also, if there is a newer development - say a shooter with a 6.5x55 Swedish match rifle wants to rebarrel his rifle for 6.5x47 would that, for example be permitted?
Ans:- This question we send the officially in dizzyness to ;). half of them will not even understand it :)
4. What happens if a shooter who lives abroad wants to come to India with his/her rifle to participate in the Nationals themselves for example? If I were to buy a rifle by Prairie Gun Works or David Tubb and wanted to come in to take part, when Nana PAtekar participates with a Tanner given by the army, can I?
Ans:- u can, spll permit is issued to participate in the compititions, but we all know red tapism

5. What about ammunition imports? Or handloading equipment and consumables? A rifle without ammunition is little better than a club. A match rifle without high grade ammunition is worse...
Ans:- there is cap on the ammunation import, i think for trap is 10,00/

Some these can be ans even in more detail, we have member cooldude, his son has qualified for import as he is renounced shooter.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:57 pm

as he is renounced shooter
Considering the situation in India,is that a surprise :lol:

penpusher