Transferring Arms to USA

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Transferring Arms to USA

Post by dc_newbie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Hello All,

Has anyone had an experience or knows how take take my arms from India to the US? The state I will be taking them to (Virginia) is gun friendly and no license is required unless one wants to carry a concealed weapon.

I have 3 arms in India that I have inherited from my late Dad, Grand Dad and Great grand dad. They are on my Indian Arms License. I live in the US and am just exploring moving them to the US.

I have contacted several local dealers in Virginia who will receive the arms from the airport and inspect before legally handing over to me here.

Thanks,

dc_newbie

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Transferring Arms to USA

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 am

It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:53 am

Thanks for the link Vikram.

I guess the answer is I will not be able to take them to the US :(

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:55 am

Knowing the calibres of the firearms may help? Share the details if it is OK.

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:15 am

Sure...no problem...be glad to share.

12 bore DBBL Shotgun
.22 Rifle
.25 Colt Pistol

It's funny because 2 of the above are American made :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 am

I guess you are right in your assessment of the situation, unfortunately.

However, you at least have access to a wider range of firearms and freedoms to go with them.

Best-
Vikram

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Hello Dc_newbie,
while I don't dispute or question that the information presented here may be accurate, it does'nt hurt to research this a little bit more in detail. For example, when taking personal firearms ( especially those that have been in your family for generations) abroad, the yardstick may be different than, routinely exporting very expensive Arms owned by erstwhile Maharajas and such, exported for extraordinary profit that is ( I was given to understand that this was the main reason for this rule, I may be wrong however).

Now I know from having read somewhere in this forum that the are still licensed exporters in Mumbai and Lucknow, who deal in these matters.
In your situation an export license will have to be obtained, along with some sort of certification from the "department of archeology??" Or some such, that the arms are not antique firearms. It might even help if you could get an import license from the US for these specific firearms mentioning make, caliber and serial numbers.

The transportation of the firearms and the customs clearance in the US and the legal transfer to yourself in the US is pretty straightforward, this segment is the least of your problems.

Convincing the export licensing authority here in India that you merely wish to take these personally owned, inherited firearms and continue their ownership in the USA under "sentimental and family heirloom" reasons is the issue. Basically that you are not exporting them for resale or profitability but for personal reasons.

While licensed, even arms are considered personal property, with reasonable restrictions on them to prevent misuse or abuse, if such is not taking place, I am of the opinion you could probably even take the matter to a court if an export license is rejected.
If you do get around this situation, please post here regarding your progress, and impediments.
Regards,
Anand

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Vikram wrote:I guess you are right in your assessment of the situation, unfortunately.

However, you at least have access to a wider range of firearms and freedoms to go with them.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram!

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Anand...Thanks very much. I will start exploring some of the things you advise above. Wish me luck :)

I can definitely get an import license here with serial numbers etc...its pretty straightforward in Virginia.

thesinfulsaint
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by thesinfulsaint » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey DC,

If the firearms hold sentimental value then of course you should try every possible way to get them to US.

If not then I would suggest you sell them to the highest bidder as time is not the criteria. Firearms have a very high premium in India and will sell for a good price depending on the condition. If they are vintage, a collector will pay you handsomely. For the amount you sell them all in India you can buy much more and better firearms even after the exchange rate.
- Saint

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks Saint!

What you say makes a lot of sense. I am kind of torn between the sentimental value of keeping these exact arms versus the pain of owning them remotely and the inability to bring them to the USA.

thesinfulsaint wrote:Hey DC,

If the firearms hold sentimental value then of course you should try every possible way to get them to US.

If not then I would suggest you sell them to the highest bidder as time is not the criteria. Firearms have a very high premium in India and will sell for a good price depending on the condition. If they are vintage, a collector will pay you handsomely. For the amount you sell them all in India you can buy much more and better firearms even after the exchange rate.

dc_newbie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by dc_newbie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Does anyone know at the top of their head...what year and earlier makes a weapon an 'Antique' in India?

In the US it is the 1890's and earlier I believe.

Riak
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Riak » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:46 am

Hi-

Just wondering if you found a solution to this situation. Am having the same problem and not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Riak

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:41 am

we know that one can bring firearms under TR. any reason why one can not take out under TR?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 am

nagarifle wrote:we know that one can bring firearms under TR. any reason why one can not take out under TR?
Because guns are an endangered species here in India :mrgreen:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.