Changing the calibre of the weapon in licence

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
thomkola
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Changing the calibre of the weapon in licence

Post by thomkola » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Dear Friends,

I have a 14 year old All India valid gun license for 12 Bore gun . I would like to sell this weapon and buy a .32 revolver. May I request to all my learned friends to advice me. Can I apply to DC for sale permission and permission to buy a .32 instead 12 bore ?. Or do I have to apply for a new license ?..

With warm regards

Thomas

For Advertising mail webmaster
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Changing the calibre of the weapon in licence

Post by GNV » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:58 pm

You'll have to apply for a fresh NP Bore Revolver/Pistol license. You can sell your 12 bore gun as and when you wish. You only need to give the 45 day notice only.You don't need to APPLY for a permission. You only need to GIVE a notice.
Regards.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:46 am

GNV wrote:You'll have to apply for a fresh NP Bore Revolver/Pistol license. You can sell your 12 bore gun as and when you wish. You only need to give the 45 day notice only.You don't need to APPLY for a permission. You only need to GIVE a notice.
Regards.
As per the information I got from the LA, there is a mandatory 45 day withing period for selling a weapon. But it is equally important to get permission for sale against the waiting period. This is what I am going through. The 45 days period is over and the Local Police station has still not sent an NOC (that this weapon is not involved in any crime).
I have not got anything in writing but the person in the LA told me that they have sent a reminder to the SHO and I will have to wait till that NOC comes through.
After going through the Arms Act it is still not clear to me as to what is legally correct. However,I do not want to confront the LA at this stage as the application for my wife and daughter's license is going to come through soon.

Regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:47 am

Yes you will have to apply for a fresh NP Bore Revolver/Pistol license. Don't mention particular bore in application.

As far as I am able to recall, it is only 45 days notice to be given on prescribed form. If the authorities keep sleeping for 45 days, it means there is no objection to the sale. Can anyone provide me provision in Arms Act or its Rule about "permission" or NOC?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 am

aadhaulya wrote:The 45 days period is over and the Local Police station has still not sent an NOC (that this weapon is not involved in any crime).
I have not got anything in writing but the person in the LA told me that they have sent a reminder to the SHO and I will have to wait till that NOC comes through.
After going through the Arms Act it is still not clear to me as to what is legally correct. However,I do not want to confront the LA at this stage as the application for my wife and daughter's license is going to come through soon.

Regards
The idea that every genuine arms license holder(buyer or seller) is involved in crime and now wants to sell or buy weapon is absurd and affront to all arms license holders in particular and law abiding persons in general. Police can never certify that the weapon is not involved in any crime etc.

Police has no legal power to certify or "decide" if any weapon has been used in crime. They collect the weapons from scene of crime or by interrogating the accused. It is the courts that "decide" everything.

The purpose of 45 days notice is most likely to verify if the buyer is a genuine arms license holder and not some counterfeit license holder. This thing can be easily checked by licensing authority if the buyer is from same jurisdiction or communicating with licensing authority of the buyer.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

thomkola
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by thomkola » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 pm

DSC_0279.JPG
My Dear friends,

Sincere thanks for the advice specially to Mr Abhijeet. Today i got endorsement on my existing licence for an additional NPB pistol. All four pages have wasted by the inexperienced lady clerk of DM office to make that entry. Now need to purchase the weapon from IOF and get it entered in the licence. The entry she made is so confusing please see the pic of entry she made...Thanks for every one for the valuable advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:26 am

Congratulations for getting a License for an additional pistol instead of replacing it with your 12 bore gun.

Atul

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pokhar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:38 pm

thomkola wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 pm
DSC_0279.JPGMy Dear friends,

Sincere thanks for the advice specially to Mr Abhijeet. Today i got endorsement on my existing licence for an additional NPB pistol. All four pages have wasted by the inexperienced lady clerk of DM office to make that entry. Now need to purchase the weapon from IOF and get it entered in the licence. The entry she made is so confusing please see the pic of entry she made...Thanks for every one for the valuable advice.
Hi sir, Hope you are doing well...
Replying very late to this thread. Actually I am just facing same problem and exploring possible solutions. Could you please suggest procedure or any person who can help for changing weapon on licence from .32 revolver to .32 pistol.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:57 pm

pokhar wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:38 pm
Hi sir, Hope you are doing well...
Replying very late to this thread. Actually I am just facing same problem and exploring possible solutions. Could you please suggest procedure or any person who can help for changing weapon on licence from .32 revolver to .32 pistol.
You should mention from which place you belong as different procedures are followed at different places.

Here in Punjab it’s a very easy process. We have to just apply ‘bore change’ file. Government fee is around Rs. 1700 and time taken is around twenty days.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

pokhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by pokhar » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:43 pm

I am from Uttar Pradesh sir...