New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
TwoTwo
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: New Arms Rules 2016 notified by Government of India!

Post by TwoTwo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi Folks,

Has anyone on this forum applied for, and obtained a license for a .22 Air Rifle?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Karan13121999
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Karan13121999 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 pm

singhfp wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 am
My observations on classification of weapons in Arms rules 2016

.45 ACP is no longer a Prohibited bore as per the Arms rules 2016
Any Pistols (except 9mm Parabellum, 9x19mm/9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum Plus) is a Permissible arm so 45 is legal now

Any Revolvers Except (.38 Revolver MkIIz also .38/200x20R, .380/200 Revolver Mk-II, .455 WebleyR) is a Permissible arm

Any Non semi-automatic Centerfire Rifle, except (7.62mm NATO/ 7.62x51mm NATO, 5.56mm NATO/ 5.56x45mm NATO 7.62mmx39mm .303 British or 7.7x56mmR) is a Permissible arm. (Centerfire semi-automatic are very clearly mentioned as restricted arm, so all those M1 Grand owners are in trouble)

Any Shotgun (including semi-automatic) of calibre up to 12 bore/gauge, include the lesser calibres of 16, 20, 28 and 410 bore etc. is a Permissible arm

.22 bore Rimfire rifles (including semi-automatic) is a Permissible arm

Regards
Fateh
So 50 calibre is legal for semi auto or single fire rifles now?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:04 am

Owning is not a problem. Getting one is. You can bring one in as a returning NRI, under TR provision, provided you held a valid license for the same. You cannot sell it in your lifetime or if you do you cannot be granted a license. This is my understanding.

It cannot be a semi. Bolt or other manual mechanism. Semi or auto would need a so called PB license.

So, to answer your question, it is possible in theory. Whether you can pull it off is a different matter. I would pay to be there when you unpack it for the customs officials' inspection. :wink: :D
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Karan13121999
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Karan13121999 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Vikram wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:04 am
Owning is not a problem. Getting one is. You can bring one in as a returning NRI, under TR provision, provided you held a valid license for the same. You cannot sell it in your lifetime or if you do you cannot be granted a license. This is my understanding.

It cannot be a semi. Bolt or other manual mechanism. Semi or auto would need a so called PB license.

So, to answer your question, it is possible in theory. Whether you can pull it off is a different matter. I would pay to be there when you unpack it for the customs officials' inspection. :wink: :D
What about importing? I am looking to get a piece sooner or later. Or at least try to get 1. The looks on the face of customs officer would be priceless 😂

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Please refer to my post above about importing.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:59 pm

I just have few doubts regarding arms and ammunition manufacturing and the arms rules.

1: Do we need a licence to manufacture airguns like precihole with (ii) having muzzle energy less than 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs. and /or bore less than 0.177”or 4.5mm, Form VII-C which department of the state government is the licencing authority?

2: Do we need a licence to manufacture airgun pellets .177 and other calibers used in airguns only i.e diabolo and slugs?

3: Who is the licensing authority for grant of a licence in Form VII for manufacture and proof test, MHA or DPIIT?

4: Who is the licensing authority for grant of a licence in Form VIII & Form VIII-A, DC or CP of city?

5: You will need a air weapon dealer license to sell airguns having muzzle energy less than 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs. and /or bore less than 0.177”or 4.5mm, so with a air weapon license you can only sell airguns with less than 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs. and /or bore less than 0.177”or 4.5mm and nothing above this correct?

6: You will need a arms dealer license Form VIII to sell any airgun above 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs. and /or bore less than 0.177”or 4.5mm provided the customer has a valid for the same correct?

7: Can someone explain rule 86. Powers of Central Government in certain cases.

8: Under SCHEDULE II LICENSING AUTHORITIES ETC item number 2 Acquisition/possession and use does not have the Categories of arms/ammunition III (a) which is Handguns (revolvers and pistols) including semi-automatic
but under item number 3 (Acquisition/possession/carrying and use for protection/sport/target practice/display) category III [except (f)(ii) and (g) (ii)], V, VI there is provision to grand license for III (a) which is Handguns (revolvers and pistols)

9: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO PURPOSE (Acquisition/possession and use ) VS (Acquisition/possession/carrying and use for protection/sport/target practice/display)?

10: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN sport/target practice?

11: Under Import of arms and ammunition into India all arms under category III permissible bore import permit is issued by MHA does this mean that category III(f)(ii) i.e airgun with less than 20j .177 will also need import permit from MHA then how are people selling imported airguns online?

12: Do we need licence to manufacture all knives or do we need licence for only blades longer than 9” or wider than 2” in category V?

Sorry for asking to many questions at a time i am just curious went through all the rules and i find it to complicated. They should have made many steps easier at least have a good online license system for all types of licenses in specific time frame depending on the licence to make the process transparent and easy i don't know it will be a reality. when they can do UNI then can do the same for online licensing by the way when i try to select the category in arms license online website there is nothing coming in the drop down box anyone knows the issue.

Being a entrepreneur myself and running a export business for a few years from ground up i cant all the formalities and procedures for getting to arms and ammo manufacturing is it really possible for a startup to get a manufacturing licence.

Thank you.

Banduksb
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Banduksb » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:14 am

“ 11: Under Import of arms and ammunition into India all arms under category III permissible bore import permit is issued by MHA does this mean that category III(f)(ii) i.e airgun with less than 20j .177 will also need import permit from MHA then how are people selling imported airguns online? ”

All permissible air guns not needing can be imported without import permit but (customs) will need clearance from LA to certify that they are not under ARMS LICENSE requirement. So a air gun could be imported but clearing Customs is another matter.

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Hello IFGians,

Its an old post and has health discussion happened here. However, no one has yet confirmed if the Arms Act 2016 is actually passed in both house and is the new norm (of course we have new amendment came in Dec 2019).

My experience with friends is that the LA's are following some parts of the 2016 act, like- renewal submission is 60 days, 2 year time period to purchase weapon once license is approved, ammo quota etc.

There is no update from NAGRI either. Has someone has any authentic info on this?

Thanks.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm

In pune district old 2016 arms act is been followed half way and 1959 is also followed.
They don’t know the law very much to my surprise in pune they are using 1969 arms act also which has been completed scrapped off . I plan to go to court about this soon .
Retainer provision and many other have been withdrawn and there is additional license but 1969 is followed still in pune district if someone finds about this and goes to court all the department may land into trouble.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:02 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:24 pm
In pune district old 2016 arms act is been followed half way and 1959 is also followed.
They don’t know the law very much to my surprise in pune they are using 1969 arms act also which has been completed scrapped off . I plan to go to court about this soon .
Retainer provision and many other have been withdrawn and there is additional license but 1969 is followed still in pune district if someone finds about this and goes to court all the department may land into trouble.
THe ARMS ACT 1959 is the same with some time to time amendments. It is the Arms rules 2016 that are now in force. Act is called STATUTE and the working guidelines are called the rules. I am not a lawyer, but we have to understand the basic differences and then argue .

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:56 pm

veeveeaar wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:02 pm
sourabhsangale wrote:
THe ARMS ACT 1959 is the same with some time to time amendments. It is the Arms rules 2016 that are now in force. Act is called STATUTE and the working guidelines are called the rules. I am not a lawyer, but we have to understand the basic differences and then argue .
Sorry for the mistake you are right .

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:30 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:56 pm
veeveeaar wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:02 pm
sourabhsangale wrote:

Hi,

The update I have is that Arms Act 2016 is passed in only one house, therefore it did not came into force. And the same is said in IFG too.

There is no update here or in NAGRI (site is non functional). I want to know which act to follow i.e. 1959 or 2016.

And very importantly, there has been a new amendment in Arms Act, which is called The Arms (Amendment) Act, 2019 https://www.mha.gov.in/sites/default/fi ... 122019.pdf. Why is it written title as "An Act further to amend the Arms Act, 1959."
, if Arms Act 2016 is already in effect. :deadhorse:
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Arms rule 2016 has been passed into both houses and the bate act is in circulation in government . It is the bench mark for all the things currently going in india related to arms manufacturers and other things.
2019 is just few amendments regarding renewal period and other things.

chandramohan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chandramohan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 pm

After going through details of this topic I feel regarding holding. 22 call Airgun /Airrifle. Act says One has to treat. 22 call Airgun as an additional fire arm and apply for new Licence. Provided one has got only one Lic.As only two weapons are allowed. If one has got already two Lic then he can't apply.
In such cases if one has got more than two. 22 Airguns one has to deposit it to Govt .More over Govt has not yet permitted any Lic to. 22Airgun holder.
Govt is not issuing any new Lic to. 22Air gun holder Nor asking to deposit. Just status co is maintained.
Any solution to this problem is appreciated.

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:54 pm

chandramohan wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 pm
After going through details of this topic I feel regarding holding. 22 call Airgun /Airrifle. Act says One has to treat. 22 call Airgun as an additional fire arm and apply for new Licence. Provided one has got only one Lic.As only two weapons are allowed. If one has got already two Lic then he can't apply.
In such cases if one has got more than two. 22 Airguns one has to deposit it to Govt .More over Govt has not yet permitted any Lic to. 22Airgun holder.
Govt is not issuing any new Lic to. 22Air gun holder Nor asking to deposit. Just status co is maintained.
Any solution to this problem is appreciated.
No solution bro just relax nothing will happen .