Are Self cocking revolvers & revolving rifles considered Semi Automatic firearm?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Are Self cocking revolvers & revolving rifles considered Semi Automatic firearm?

Post by KDS991213 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:38 am

Long story short, do self cocking revolvers like Webley Fosbery revolver & some other revolving rifles that use the force from the fired bullet to cock the hammer & rotate the cylinder considered as semi automatic firearm in India?

As far as i remember the original term according to late 1800s & early 1900s meant that the firearm should have 1 firing chamber & the gun should eject the fired case, reloading a new one & cock the hammer for it to be considered semi automatic from western nation's perspective but this is India so can anyone clarify this for me. Thanks in advance

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Are Self cocking revolvers & revolving rifles considered Semi Automatic firearm?

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:29 pm

That's an interesting question! The Webley Fosbery certainly doesn't eject fired cartridge cases.

Alas, the Webley Fosbery has been a gun that I've wanted for years, but like some other interesting objects, the more time that has passed, the more expensive and out of reach they have become. They are a very intriguing mechanism to me, and they will always be an unattainable favorite.

I hope that one of our more legally attuned members can answer your question, as I'd be interested in the law's view of it as well.

Perhaps, Nattu, you are a wealthy manufacturer who is considering entering the market with such a device? If so, in my kingdom, you would be a decorated and honored citizen for such a contribution.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

KDS991213
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Are Self cocking revolvers & revolving rifles considered Semi Automatic firearm?

Post by KDS991213 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Well according to our arms act page 6 point 49 is the definition of semi auto but it doesn't mention anything specific in terms of multiple chambers & ejection & loading of another round in the chamber. I was hoping if someone can further clarify this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:37 pm

I'd be interested in knowing more on this as well. My all time grail gun is the Mateba Six Unica, it's marketed as an autorevolver and has some really neat features. :D

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:41 pm

KDS991213 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:38 am
Long story short, do self cocking revolvers like Webley Fosbery revolver & some other revolving rifles that use the force from the fired bullet to cock the hammer & rotate the cylinder considered as semi automatic firearm in India?

As far as i remember the original term according to late 1800s & early 1900s meant that the firearm should have 1 firing chamber & the gun should eject the fired case, reloading a new one & cock the hammer for it to be considered semi automatic from western nation's perspective but this is India so can anyone clarify this for me. Thanks in advance
Firstly, semi auto revolver is not a problem in India as semi auto revolver comes under permissible/NPB category.

Secondly, revolving rifles that use the force from the fired bullet to cock the hammer & rotate the cylinder will be considered as semi automatic rifle and will come under restricted (not PB but restricted) category.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Be it a revolver, pistol or a repeating rifle, It is well within Non Prohibited list as for all these, you have to pull the triger every time you want to discharge it.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:12 pm

veeveeaar wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:17 pm
Be it a revolver, pistol or a repeating rifle, It is well within Non Prohibited list as for all these, you have to pull the triger every time you want to discharge it.
Semi auto rifle comes under Restricted category and not npb.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.