Old shotgun cartridges found

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
bacchus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Old shotgun cartridges found

Post by bacchus » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi,

My parents passed away just before COVID as a result of which I have not been able to clean up their house for almost 2 years (travel restrictions etc). A few months ago I travelled to India and started the clean up process and found a trunk full of old cartridges. My father used to hunt long ago. What do I do with these? What is the correct legal and disposal process. I have not found any arms, just cartridges. Thanks...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Old shotgun cartridges found

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:48 am

Try to Find out his Arms Lisence and what happened with his weapon. Either it is deposited or sold or may be stolen ( in case there is no one to look after the property). Contact your local PS and give them the details you found.
Regards

Shivaji

bacchus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bacchus » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:22 am

Any feedback on what to do with the cartridges? Is there a legal way to dispose or sell them? I have no use for them.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:22 pm

bacchus wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:22 am
Any feedback on what to do with the cartridges? Is there a legal way to dispose or sell them? I have no use for them.
Simple way - throw them in the nearest river/ canal/ ocean, they'll be useless within a few minutes and totally decay over next few months.

Correct way - write to your local licensing authority informing them of the find and asking them for permission to deposit/ sell them to the local arms dealer, so on and so forth. You'll need to attach copies of his arms license with this application (to prove legal provenance). Without that, you may have to answer some uncomfortable questions about how he got the ammunition.... thie may take several weeks to several months. Then deposit them and be done with it.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:58 pm

bacchus wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:21 pm
A few months ago I travelled to India and started the clean up process and found a trunk full of old cartridges.
What about the gun? If he sold off the gun himself then he can not own the ammo without the gun.

Suppose he still have the gun it will be interesting to know how much quantity of ammo was allowed on his license. Most of the time it’s twenty five. So if the ammo allowed on license is less than the ammo found then they are illegal.

This is your best bet
mundaire wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:22 pm
Simple way - throw them in the nearest river/ canal/ ocean, they'll be useless within a few minutes and totally decay over next few months.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

bacchus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bacchus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:13 am

Vineet, Mundaire,

Thanks for your replies. My parents have passed away. I found the license. Old and expired. I am assuming the guns were deposited at some armory or handed to local police long ago. So what I am left with is this discovery of cartridges in an old trunk. I didnt know about the cartridges either till I was opening old boxes to see what was in them. So you can imagine my surprise.

Thanks

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:09 pm

bacchus wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:13 am
Vineet, Mundaire,

Thanks for your replies. My parents have passed away. I found the license. Old and expired. I am assuming the guns were deposited at some armory or handed to local police long ago. So what I am left with is this discovery of cartridges in an old trunk. I didnt know about the cartridges either till I was opening old boxes to see what was in them. So you can imagine my surprise.

Thanks
Another best way is that you can sell them to the liscence holders who are interested in collecting ammo.
Reply me which cartridges are those if they are not in my collection I will buy some of them.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:39 am

i will take them.have capacity on license to buy trunks full of ammo.
msg me

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:45 pm

Kittu wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:39 am
msg me
How many cartridges are allowed on your liscence.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:33 am

Deepraj patil1616 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:45 pm
Kittu wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:39 am
msg me
How many cartridges are allowed on your liscence.
50k one time 1 lakh in a year.