Existing IHP 0.22 air rifle in light of new Arms Rule

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
ankur_ank007

Existing IHP 0.22 air rifle in light of new Arms Rule

Post by ankur_ank007 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:23 pm

Hello All,

As many of you may know, I already own an IHP break barrel 0.22 air rifle which is at my residence in Ahmedabad.

I am currently residing in Delhi for a few years now. I want to get the same shipped to Delhi for my boy to do a little practice as I am slowly exposing him to firearms via air guns.

Just wanted to know the status of 0.22 air rifles after the latest arms rule amendment of 2016.

Please advise....

Thanks & regards,
Ankur

For Advertising mail webmaster
revolver
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Existing IHP 0.22 air rifle in light of new Arms Rule

Post by revolver » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:01 pm

You need an Arms Licence to own one.

ankur_ank
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ankur_ank » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:33 am

What is the provision for previously owned air rifles in 0.22 cal, I couldn't find any details/process to surrender etc.

Please guide me on what to do?

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:26 pm

It's just a mention in Arms act ammendment b.coz when I checked with my local PS, they clearly said that they only know about it and nothing in writing has received by them. They clearly said that if I wish then I can deposit the weapon but they may not give a receipt of it. They said that if they start collecting Airguns then their "Malkhana" will be full in few days.
In other words, the ammendment was done but no guide lines are created as on date to take a .22 airgun on Arms Lisence.
Regards

Shivaji

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:06 pm

They should have just stopped the manufacturing of .22 air rifles like they have done but they should have allowed the already existing .22 air rifles without any licence

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:26 pm

ankur_ank wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:33 am
What is the provision for previously owned air rifles in 0.22 cal, I couldn't find any details/process to surrender etc.

Please guide me on what to do?
One year time was given from 15th July 2016 to either get an arms license or surrender the air rifle.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:40 am

This particular topic remains an unsolved mystery. Best to keep silent about it.

Though Airgun Lovers have many legal .177 options to choose from , so they can still enjoy their hobby with these legal guns and ammo available.

At the end we all end up shooting only paper targets. The current. 177 airguns are accurate and top notch in quality. Lots of affordable ammo also available.

ankur_ank
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ankur_ank » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:24 pm

I applied for a license in March 2023, The whole police station of my area under Dist. South Delhi is in shock as it seems I am the only one in all these years who has applied for an Air Rifle License...

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:14 am

ankur_ank wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:24 pm
I applied for a license in March 2023, The whole police station of my area under Dist. South Delhi is in shock as it seems I am the only one in all these years who has applied for an Air Rifle License...
Congrats and All the best for your license Bro. I think you are the first in this forum who officially applied for a .22 AR. Let us know about the proceedings.

Just to mention that one Gun dealer from UP has called me and said that he got fresh supply of .22 pellets. When I asked that how can I purchase as I don't have the license yet. That person replied that the .22 license matter is facing lot of appeal against the rule and court is yet to decide on this matter. So there is no problem on dealers part to sale .22 pellets. I don't know how accurate this information is, so I said no to that guy.
Regards

Shivaji

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:22 am

There are still many online sites selling .22 pellets , if they are selling it means that they have buyers for it. If buying and selling is going on of these .22 pellets since 2016 rules , then surely the legal aspect is yet not clear. I'm sure that lacs of .22 air rifles held by many gun lovers are still with them. They may be shooting too with them as ammo is still easily available for them online. It's just that as law isn't clear they are silent on this.

Though as I mentioned earlier in this post that .177 options are plenty and much cheaper ammo available of high quality. Even .177 CO2 options are plenty and legal. So if in doubt then one can shift to this legal caliber to pursue the hobby.

Regarding the .22 pellets being sold online and in gun shops and the legal aspect to purchase of these and using them only our senior moderators or gun shop owners like Vineet can guide through.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:50 am

The matter of fact is that inspite of only two weapons allowed, many people still have three weapons on their arms licenses.

Making rules is one thing and getting it implemented is other thing. In a country as big as India, it’s not easy to get rules implemented. The police and the bureaucrats themselves are not fully aware of the arms rules.
Vineet Armoury

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:58 pm

Vineet Bhai, May I ask you that if any one get a license on .22 Air Rifle then what are the choices of AR available in .22 at present.
Regards

Shivaji

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:00 pm

There are no options. .22 air rifles are neither imported nor made in India now.

Precihole .22 were good air rifles.
Vineet Armoury

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:18 pm

If I am not wrong then after some time the Old AR of .22 may fetch higher price as there will be only old stock available for users.
Regards

Shivaji

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:34 pm

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:18 pm
If I am not wrong then after some time the Old AR of .22 may fetch higher price as there will be only old stock available for users.
Who would go for an old .22 air rifle in India, I don't think so.

Speaking of IHP you will not get spare parts and the technology and finish is old for today's standards.

Prechihole used to make the Orion model in .22 which they discontinued in 2016 after .22 air rifles were licenced, they could have some value since they are still manufacturing good air rifles.