American visiting India - bringing sidearm with me

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
BalaramDas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

American visiting India - bringing sidearm with me

Post by BalaramDas » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:43 pm

Hello, my name is Brendon, I will be leaving for India in May to Chittorgarh Rajasthan. I am going to visit family that live there. I want to know how I can legally bring a sidearm with me to India. I am from Texas, here we require no license to carry out in the open. What is the legal process for a foreigner to bring a sidearm to India? I am fine with obtaining any license and paying whatever fee. I have family that lives in Chittorgarh that I can use their address and their citizenship as reference. My reason would be self defense.

Thank you very much. Hare Krishna.

For Advertising mail webmaster
StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: American visiting India - bringing sidearm with me

Post by StampMaster » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:40 am

Hi Brendon, welcome to IFG and soon to India.

A tourist license is available for a max. period of 6 months or till your visa (whichever is earlier) for a small fee. You have to make an application with your local DCP or District Magistrate office for same.

I have warn you that reaching India without your license in hand will lead to some trouble of depositing the weapon with customs. And application processing is easier said than done.

Note- You can possess a firearm license, BUT NOT USE IT as per the local law. However, you have the right to self defense.

Cheers.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:55 am

Hello Brendon,

Welcome to IFG. As the poster above said, it is possible on paper. It would be a tortuous and, in the end, an uncertain process. Unless you are going to live there for months on, it may not be worth the effort. Have you discussed your thoughts with your relatives in India? They could perhaps help with your decision. Good luck.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Ambi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Ambi » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:00 am

It's a bad idea to bring a gun when you visit india. Shooting even in self defence will get you arrested and jailed without bail for god knows how many years. Read up on what happened to two italian sailors who shot a couple of pirates in indian waters. It would be better to employ a personal guard than to go armed.
India is the safest place for normal tourists. Come without reservations and enjoy yourself.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:16 pm

I should add here, that self-defence/ self protection is not considered a valid reason for issuing a temporary arms license to a foreign tourist visiting India. These are currently only issued to sportspersons travelling to India to participate in shooting competitions.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:47 pm

Ambi wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:00 am
It's a bad idea to bring a gun when you visit india. It would be better to employ a personal guard than to go armed.
India is the safest place for normal tourists. Come without reservations and enjoy yourself.
Totally agree. You will not get a temporary tourist licence for bringing a side arm for as correctly stated in the last post it is only for taking part in recognized shooting competitions. Forget the idea and enjoy India as a tourist.

BalaramDas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by BalaramDas » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:37 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I do intend to stay in India for an extended period of time, so I will use this first trip to process my application for my next longer extended visit.

From my understanding, the Indian embassy has stated to come in at your own risk, therefore self defense should be sufficient. I will be applying to help my relatives also acquire their own license.

Thank you very much!