Where can I fire a gun.

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
AdanSaif2510
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Where can I fire a gun.

Post by AdanSaif2510 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:13 pm

Hello everyone, if I owned a gun, would it be legal to fire it at my house just for target practice or sporting, or is it illegal? If it is illegal then can I fire it on any type of private property(for sport and target practice) and what has to be the size of the property. Is there any rule like you must have no neighbours or the property has to be a certain size?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shadmohammed
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Where can I fire a gun.

Post by Shadmohammed » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:35 pm

respected and learned members kindly reply its very important question. all should have very clear ideas regarding it.

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:51 pm

You cannot fire it anywhere outside government approved shooting range even if it is your personal property. And if you want to do it in your personal property then you have to register that land as shooting range, but this process took too long time until you get any politicians support.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:17 pm

AdanSaif2510 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:13 pm
Hello everyone, if I owned a gun, would it be legal to fire it at my house just for target practice or sporting, or is it illegal? If it is illegal then can I fire it on any type of private property(for sport and target practice) and what has to be the size of the property. Is there any rule like you must have no neighbours or the property has to be a certain size?
What gun you own ?

The best would be a farm house and you should have proper back stop.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Pratipalsinh Jadeja
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Pratipalsinh Jadeja » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:02 pm

Usually People fire at ranges, but given that It is very rare to find a range in certain parts of India, People fire at weekend houses/farmhouse where population and people mobility is comparatively less. But there are many dos and dont's of firing like have a strong back material/wall/object effective in stopping the bullet momentum, making sure people/animals do not pass from behind the target, refraining from keeping objects or shooting in a manner where in the bullet projectile can rickochet (bounce back or change direction after impact with object). AND MANY MORE BUT NOT LIMITED TO ABOVE MENTIONED WHICH YOU CAN EASILY READ FROM CONTENT ACROSS INTERNET.

AdanSaif2510
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AdanSaif2510 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:47 pm

Vineet wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:17 pm
AdanSaif2510 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:13 pm
What gun you own ?

The best would be a farm house and you should have proper back stop.

I have inherited .315 sporting rifle

AdanSaif2510
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AdanSaif2510 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:48 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:02 pm

Its a pity. Really. So many new gun manufacturers in India and some more in the pipeline. Yet the challenges in getting an arms license and lack of firearm shooting ranges continue to play spoil sport.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:32 pm

AdanSaif2510 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:47 pm
I have inherited .315 sporting rifle
.315 have a very loud sound and firing it in house (unless it is a farm house) will attract attention of neighbours and it will be unpleasant for them. So it’s better to fire in a farm house with proper backstop or a firing range.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ajaaybeer » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:30 pm

Open fields with a backstop would be idle. A Backstop: A device constructed to stop or redirect bullets fired on a range. This is usually an earthen structure, placed between 16 and 20 feet in vertical height. A natural pile of earth high enough or a high wall or sand bags would do .
Another point is effective range and maximum range of your weapon which must be kept in mind. The effective range is accurate distance a bullet or projectile will travel and maximum range is the maximum distance a bullet or projectile travels before it hits the ground. Say for example : A four acre clear sight is enough for a shot gun according to my knowledge but a 30.06 rifle bullet may travel up to 3 to 4 kms parabolic path but if you are shooting a target it will have an effective range of 500 yards for accurate shooting. So it varies from weapon to weapon. Do your homework before experimenting.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN