Joining a Local Rifle Club Training Programme to ease obtaining a handgun license?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Som23
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Joining a Local Rifle Club Training Programme to ease obtaining a handgun license?

Post by Som23 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:05 pm

Hello good people. I want to keep a handgun (Eyeing the Atal 32x or something similar of .32 ACP bore) for personal safety. I have joined our Local Rifle Club which has decent recognition (spawned some shooters who have won medals at the state level and participated at the national level) where I'm allowed to shoot up to 10 bullets every Sunday. Recently the club told me they are organizing a Rifle/Handgun handling training programme which I could participate in which would allow me to keep my own handgun. After going through plenty of material that made me realise how tough it is to be an ordinary Indian citizen and obtain a gun license, I wanted to ask you guys if there is any validity in their claim. Is a training course on Gun safety mandatory/beneficial to obtain a License, given that I want to submit personal safety as the reason for keeping a Gun? Also would I stand a better chance if I participate as a shooter is some competition and show that as a justification for keeping a personal Handgun? In that case would I have to compete under the handgun category to keep a personal handgun or could I compete with a rifle and still be permitted to keep a handgun? There have been conflicting information on these queries on the online resources I've gone through. I would immensely appreciate if I receive some guidance, or some resource that would clarify these questions. Thank you!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Joining a Local Rifle Club Training Programme to ease obtaining a handgun license?

Post by Vineet » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:44 pm

Training certificate issued by State police will be needed or your club should be affiliated to NRAI. If affiliated to NTAI, then merely being there member is enough. Training certificate is not required.

To get arms license in sports, minimum requirement is to become an aspiring shooter. Otherwise participating in local private clubs is of no benefit.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.