How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

Post by amk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 pm

No one I ask seems to know the laws about this issue. Basically how is one supposed to carry (on person) his handgun? Sholuld it be concelead; can it be carried open; does it HAVE to be in a holster; if concealed and someone sees it what does the law say?

AMK

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm

amk";p="36212 wrote:No one I ask seems to know the laws about this issue. Basically how is one supposed to carry (on person) his handgun? Sholuld it be concelead; can it be carried open; does it HAVE to be in a holster; if concealed and someone sees it what does the law say?

AMK
There is no restriction on concealed carry in India. So long as you have a valid arms license and are within the area in which it is valid (tehsil/district/ state/ city/ all India) you are OK - so it's your choice whether you wish to carry it properly concealed or display it prominently. I would STRONGLY recommended the former....

HOWEVER, you need to be careful that you DO NOT inadvertently go into a restricted area with your firearms - this could be an army cantonment/ military base/ airport/ college or university campus/ school etc.

Also, AFAIK notwithstanding any of the above - the police can detain you for up to 24 hours if they "feel" that you were "moving about in suspicious circumstances with a weapon". This needn't be a firearm, could be a lathi/ knife/ replica/ toy etc... anything, the ONLY determinant is that the policeman on duty feels you are acting suspiciously.... civil rights be damned!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 pm

concur.if you carry, ensure you have a xerox of licence on you.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am

I thought that one always had to carry his original gun licence with the firearm.Thats the way i always carried mine.
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: How to carry a handgun (legal issue)

Post by Hunter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:44 am

Hi AMK,

Abhijeets post sums it all! Carry your original licence along with your piece with you and ensure u have copies of the licence at home!

Happy Shooting!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 am

I should have said -ATLEAST a xerox! Even losing a licence involves a FIR, B report etc
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 am

The Arms License is generally issued for one of the three purposes or in rare cases, for all three namely Sports/Protection/Display. It is distinctly printed on all License books, at least on the ones issued by the M'bai Licensing authority. As Abhijeet mentioned earlier,and rightly so, there is no restriction within Indian Union for carrying a side arm concealed (with a valid License.) However a long arm if carried should be encased if being "transported". A side arm carried unconcealed on the waist belt or otherwise amounts to "display" which is an offense if one does not have "Display" specifically mentioned on one's book. Only the people from The forces are allowed to display the arms openly. The word "display" also includes deactivated fire arms for the purpose of wall hanging etc. This information was passed on to me by a very senior officer attached to the Arms & Ammunition Branch, Mumbai. Although not many are aware of this rule it's still a bad idea to display a fire arm in any manner IMO. I shall humbly request all our members to refrain from doing this for the sake of our dwindling community..
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 am

In my area, if you take your handgun inside a bank concealed, no body search and hence no problem. But same handgun when you take into the bank openly even with valid licence, bankers object. What is the true situation?
In fact when you are going to bank, suppose, to deposite 5 lacs, you do carry your handguns for protection. In this situation you can not leave your handgun outside the bankgate, like you do with your bags at shopping mall entrance, and then you enter into the bank with money only, with arms left outside.
Regards
VJha 8)

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:24 am

i have seen display boards in some banks in andhra pradesh which state that bringing any weapon into the bank is prohibited...the only exception is kirpans for sikhs.

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 am

But then where will you keep your firearms?
Regards
VJha 8)

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:50 am

i hope they(the authorities)wish that we hang the firearms at their doorstep and go into their pious premises :x :x :x

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:56 am

I can not really thank for this suggestion. Anyone with relevant idea on the matter?
Regards
VJha 8)

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:11 pm

vjha.........now when ever did the Indian babus have their brains where they were supposed to be.
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:59 pm

i agree with vinayaka.i dont know when the babus understand?a criminal never bothers about the rules and regulations :o the babus try to control people who know their limits :cry: ...i dont know how people feel about this but i have seen many cases in andhra pradesh where licenses have been issued to rowdy sheeters and factionists based on the reason that they have a life threat :evil: :evil: :evil:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Well, to be entirely fair... I cannot think of many countries where carrying a firearm into a bank branch would be allowed. However, as rightly pointed out above, there should be a system to securely "check in" your arms while you transact business inside and then once done, "check out" the arms while leaving.

BUT don't you agree that there would need to be a sizeable number of people carrying legal guns on a daily basis for it to be of any interest to the bank to devise such a system...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein