Somewhat unusual licensing issue

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Somewhat unusual licensing issue

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Gentlemen,

While I squawk a lot about irrelevant technical things, legal issues get my head in a knot.

Here's an odd problem...hoping the seasoned members can advise suitably:

An customer recently turned in a Remington 550 for bluing and a new main-spring in the shop. I was entering the license in the register when I notice that the bungling clerk had entered the model(i.e 550) as serial no. This escaped the owners attention until I pointed it out to him. The actual serial No. is there quite nearby and on several other places plainly visible. Thought this may cause needless hassle if an overzealous cop or babu decides to take a closer look.

What could be the right thing to do?- Apply for a modification, pointing out the error in written or simply let sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks

CC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 pm

If your customer wants to play it straight he needs to bring this error to the notice of his licencing authority and have it amended.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Somewhat unusual licensing issue

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Here the usual thing would be for an RFD to amend the error and to notify the relevent licensing authority.
Leaving an error uncorrected is just storing up future trouble

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:37 pm

:roll: tell the man to sort it out with the local autority.
or as been said above, or he could "cop it". :shock: :shock: should not be to much of problem in ur part of the world.

u should also cover ur self :roll: :roll: it may fire back at u letter date. by making a entry of such like in the regerster, (probly done it anyway)

nm
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

unusual

Post by nm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 am

This had happened with a friend of mine also....his license had the wrong serial number written by mistake......

he pointed it out to the licensing authority and they simply did some overwriting over the wrong serial number in the license and corrected it......

:roll:

Nishant

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:22 pm

If the number is corrected by over writing(not a very good practice) then get the correction signed by the dealing hand.Preferably get a new entry in the license correcting the mistake.For this,you would need to give the receipt of the purchase,if bought from a dealer.If bought from a licensee,then a copy of the entry in his license showing the correct serial number,would be required to be given along the application for correction of the serial number.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:20 am

Gentlemen,

I thank you all for the suggestions.

I've passed this on to the owner. Hoping he'll see it through..

regards,
cc

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Hello everybody,
a similar sthing happened to me some time back when my shotgun licence was renewed. in the covering letter- called proceedings down here they marked it as revolver. i took it back to them, submitted a letter to them to rectify their mistake- was changed by another letter as corrections to the earlier letter of theirs. in short a long haul.
Regs
sudhaiob

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:22 pm

sudhaiob";p="38416 wrote:Hello everybody,
a similar sthing happened to me some time back when my shotgun licence was renewed. in the covering letter- called proceedings down here they marked it as revolver. i took it back to them, submitted a letter to them to rectify their mistake- was changed by another letter as corrections to the earlier letter of theirs. in short a long haul.
Regs
sudhaiob
Haha! :) :) :)

Hi sudhaiob,

Thats hilarious!!... the licensing people didn't even know the difference between a shotgun and a revolver?...or was that a genuine error?... either way I'm hardly surprised.

Someone should get a school kid to sketch some pictures of different kinds of guns and donate them to the licensing office.... they can then hang them up on the musty walls with labels like "this is a revolver', 'this is a shotgun" etc..... :)

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Heh heh heh.
You sarky so-and-so CC.
Have you been taking lessons from penpusher ?
:wink: :lol:
Not such a bad idea at all.........could even be extended to include parts of a gun:
"This is the trigger", "This is the barrel"......................

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Grumpy";p="38459 wrote:Heh heh heh.
You sarky so-and-so CC.
Have you been taking lessons from penpusher ?
:wink: :lol:

Heyyyy Grumps,

How've you been? Sorry for the drop in comm with the emails. I'm yet to sit with the drilling and the 'secret formula'... Had some minor brain farts along the way, and I'll keep you updated on them soon.
Not such a bad idea at all.........could even be extended to include parts of a gun:
"This is the trigger", "This is the barrel"......................
Wait...easy there... just a little at a time...else it would be information overload for the poor perishers :)

regards,
cc

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 am

I don't think anybody can top this.

There is a bloke at Patiala who has a flintlock musket with a revolving cylinder(it's either 3 shot or four shot) with about a 5(FIVE) feet long barrel that is entered on his license as a 'Revolver'.

Was given to his grandfather by the then Maharaja of Patiala.Have never seen anything like this musket even in a musuem.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi penpusher,
I did a google search and found quite a few hits on a musket with a revolving cylinder - cant post the links though as my firewall wouldnt let me see the pages - firearms / weapons you see :-)

managed to get this thru though
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mu ... tnG=Search

http://www.hollywoodpropsupply.com/NewRifles.html
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:33 pm

This thing was HUGE with lots of engraving and probably a kg of gold on it.No name of the manufacturer.Also it was not a replica but the real deal.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:02 pm

i have seen some cases where they dont know the difference between a pistol and a revolver :)