inheritance of arms

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

inheritance of arms

Post by doctor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 pm

my father expired few days back ,he owned two guns for self protection.
i would like to know how can these arms be transfered in my name .
these arms mean a lot to me and i would like them to be with me.
how do i go about it, do i first surrender/deposit these arms at a police station and then apply for a license ?
who is responsible for these arms when in police custody.

can i remove the firing pin before depositing the guns.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: inheritance of arms

Post by Risala » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:40 am

Sorry to hear about your Dad,having the fire arms tranferred is very doable and well within your right.
I would suggest that you immedeately deposit the wpns with a dealer preferably known rather
than the Police Station,at least that way they will be maintained at a nominal cost.
Doc where are you based,just visit the local licensing authority and they should be able to guide you.
Cheers

doctor
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by doctor » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 pm

i called up a reputed gun dealer in mumbai who quoted me a charge of Rs 500/ weapon/month.
is the amount appropriate .

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Hi, Doctor first my deep Condolence for the demise of your father,
Regarding your querry above first you deposit the weapons with arms dealer holding a licence in form XIV, to keep weapons for safe deposit under section 21. next you apply before your licensing authority for the issue of arms licence in your favour and later on get the weapons transfered in your licence from your late father licence with the help of NOC from the other legal heirs regarding the transfer of weapons addressed to the District Magistrate. As per sec 21(2) under sub-rule (4) , after the death of a person his legal representative is also entitled to sell or other wise dispose of the arms & ammunition to any person lawfully entitled to possess the same and to recieve the sale proceeds, if any; and if the arms & ammunition have not been disposed of or their possession by the licensee or his legal representative, as the case may be, has not become lawful within the prescribed period they shall, subject to the provision to section 21 (3), be forfeited to Government by order of the District Magistrate.
So act fast to get a licence for your self Best luck.
i think the safe deposit rate should be maximum Rs 50/- monthly.

Hock ann,

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 pm

From The Telegraph newspaper dated 24th may/2006, at Pg-13, a colm read as "ARMS & the Man" ..Upon the death of his son,who had applied for transferring the licence to his name.As the licensing authorities did not grant his request.he filed a writ petition.Dismissing the writ, the Chhattisgarh High Court held that arms were not inheritable property.It further said if necessary,the petitioner might independently seek such a licence in order to possess the weapon on any grounds permissible by Law (Shyam Lal Saraf VS State of Chhattisgarh & others).
ARMS LICENCE CANNOT BE TRANSFERED
HK,

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am

sorry to hear about ur father.

please do not deposit ur arms with just anyone, go for someone u know to be honest. and keep checking once a week, as my father deposit his arms with an arms dealer and when went to collect it he found the firing pin was replaced by a broken one.

hope all goes well
regards
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

naga is correct :) my advice now.please dont deposit the guns in a police station as something more than a firing pin would be lost(have seen some cases).magazine,bolt,forend grip etc etc..................or the gun itself :(