LOADING / RELOADING OF CARTRIDGES

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

LOADING / RELOADING OF CARTRIDGES

Post by hock ann » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi members a useful information,
The Govt. of India have held in the past that loading/reloading of cartridges amounts to manufacture of ammunition.
Under S.41 of the Arms act, 1959 possession of recapper, decapper and turnover machines for the purpose of loading or reloading cartridges for one's personal use has been exempted from all the provisions of the Act, Vide item No.1(2) of schedule II, appended to the Ministry of Home Affairs Notification No.15/13/59(V)-P-IV, Dated 13th July,1962 (G.S.R. No-991) This means that no licence is required for the loading or reloading of cartridges for one's own personal use with the help of recapper,decapper and turnover machines. Persons possessessing licences for sports or protection are allowed to possess a reasonable quantity of gun-powder and caps to be used in loading or reloading cartridges by making a suitable entry in their licence forms with a specific condition that the gun-powder and caps so allowed is to be used for loading or reloading cartridges for their own personal use and for no other purpose.

Hock ann,

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: LOADING / RELOADING OF CARTRIDGES

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:09 pm

This is great news guys!

I see an increase in reloading and bullet casting for the future!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:02 am

GREAT!! Now I will have to post all those juicy reloading 'tips&tricks' that were deleted by our Mods all over again!

jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:27 am

Good news indeed! Let's just hope that none of your babus interprets that directive as applying to shotgun shells ONLY, referencing the mention of "turnover machine". (Mods, delete this message quickly if you think it might give them ideas.) Cheers.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 am

best news yet for good ammo. here we come

thanks mate
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:48 am

One can get the bullet moulds, brass cases,Turbo tumbler,Sizing dies, electric furnace and all. What about propellant and primers? Which airliner allows that in baggage or as cargo? That is a catch. No cause to rejoice. If there is a way, somebody please enlighten.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22 am

The single biggest problem is: where do you purchase primer (caps) from? Not to mention smokeless powder and chilled shot... AFAIK the only caps and powder available with dealers are caps for caplock muskets and the only powder being sold is black powder... This assuming you can get your hands on the required tools - the only ones you are likely to find in India are antique ones which elsewhere would be regarded more as collectors items rather than tools for actual reloading (they do do the job though)!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:32 am

Marksman said..
Which airliner allows that in baggage or as cargo? That is a catch. No cause to rejoice. If there is a way, somebody please enlighten.
It's my lil' secret and if the Mods ask nicely maybe I'll comeup with a little show and tell post.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Import of cartridges and their components is restricted, or in other words banned.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 pm

hi penpusher

in the light of the first post why do u say that they are baned? i don't want to be legalistic but u also say they are restricted.

Restricted does not mean banned.

still could u throw some light on this?

regards
Nagarifle

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi,S.S.Sidhu, Nagarifle is correct how can you say import of CTGS are banned do you know that the cartridges which is not MFG by the Ordinance factory is allowed to be legally import to india through the Arms dealers who are having the Import licences or how we can get the fresh ctgs for the pistols like-.25 bore, 380 bore (short), .30 bore, etc.. Rifles-22 hornet,savage 254/256/275/ 30-06/375 mag/etc these all are easily available in the markets of India.I even had a list with details of calibers of CTGS that were allowed to import to India but right now it is misplaced shall post it later on with Govt. of India notification No also.we all know that IOF only Mfgs .32 pistol/revolver ctgs .22 ctgs & 315/30-06- ctgs for civilians use. Now what happened to the rest of the calibers they all are being use by owners since the close of the Import in the year 1986. Only ctgs MFG by the IOF are not allowed to be import to india.
Hock ann,

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 pm

hock ann wrote: Under S.41 of the Arms act, 1959 possession of recapper, decapper and turnover machines for the purpose of loading or reloading cartridges for one's personal use has been exempted from all the provisions of the Act,

Hock ann,
i am unable to locate this s.41 in the arms act: :shock: this extract is from:
http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... r_5_6.html

i even got a Arms act but it does not say the above but as per the link. can any one point me if i have missed the mark/page?

41. Power to exempt

Where the Central Government is of the opinion that it is necessary or expedient in the public interest so to do, it may, by notification in the Official Gazette and subject to such conditions, if any, as it may specify in the notification,---

(a) exempt any person or class of persons, or exclude any description of arms or ammunition, or withdraw any part of India, from the operation of all or any of the provisions of this Act; and

(b) as often as may be, cancel any such notification and again subjects, by a like notification, the person or class of persons or the description of arms and ammunition or the part of India to the operation of such provisions.
Nagarifle

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 am

It is present in the Arms Law. I looked for it read it as soon Hock Ann posted it.
Regards,
Anand

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:20 pm

under s41 is the import rights of the top 25 shooters.

http://www.nrai.in/not6.pdf

interesting part is para 2
Nagarifle

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:41 am

nagarifle wrote:
hock ann wrote: Under S.41 of the Arms act, 1959 possession of recapper, decapper and turnover machines for the purpose of loading or reloading cartridges for one's personal use has been exempted from all the provisions of the Act,

Hock ann,
i am unable to locate this s.41 in the arms act: :shock: this extract is from:
http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... r_5_6.html

i even got a Arms act but it does not say the above but as per the link. can any one point me if i have missed the mark/page?

41. Power to exempt

Where the Central Government is of the opinion that it is necessary or expedient in the public interest so to do, it may, by notification in the Official Gazette and subject to such conditions, if any, as it may specify in the notification,---

(a) exempt any person or class of persons, or exclude any description of arms or ammunition, or withdraw any part of India, from the operation of all or any of the provisions of this Act; and

(b) as often as may be, cancel any such notification and again subjects, by a like notification, the person or class of persons or the description of arms and ammunition or the part of India to the operation of such provisions.
Naga, you did not find the listing within the Arms Act/ Rules, as it is simply not there. Section 41 of the Act/ Rules simply permit the Government of India (GOI) to issue a notification to exempt "any person or class of persons, or exclude any description of arms or ammunition, or withdraw any part of India, from the operation of all or any of the provisions of this Act". Further to this authority vesting in the GOI (through this Act of Parliament), the GOI can and does issue notifications in this regard. The relevant notification in this regard is Schedule 2 of Notification No. No.15/13/59(V)-P-IV, Dated 10-12-1969 G.S.R. 990, issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, GOI. This is the same notification that also exempted airguns of most types from all provisions of the Arms Act.

Source - a copy of said notification republished in the book "Firearms in Criminal Investigation & Trials" by BR Sharma

Hock Ann as already reproduced the relevant part of this notification, as did Penpusher in another post here - http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2705

If you want I can upload the entire schedule 2 of this notification, but it will take me a few days to get around to scanning the pages (the scanner at home isn't working).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein