Import of accessories/ parts

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Import of accessories/ parts

Post by james » Thu May 01, 2008 11:34 pm

websites like brownell ect is ready to send grips, bags ,stocks ,12 bore pistol grip ect via online order ,payment through credit card ,anyone in this forum had delt with them and is this legally allowed , please share your experience.Regards JAMES........

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri May 02, 2008 6:30 am

lets be clear in this. one can order any thing from any website.

every thing is legally allowed. unless ur country says no or the sellers country says no.

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: legal issue .

Post by james » Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 pm

under the situation if you import some accesssories like pistol grip or gun bag ect and brownell or cabella except the order and on arrival it is on hold with custom or non custom goverment body ,how this will be legally treated ,the stuff would be siezed or some legal action would be initiated against the buyer ,kindly share your experience or views on this situation, cheers ,James

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri May 02, 2008 5:48 pm

IMHO accessories like a sling,gun carrying case etc will not be an issue,since they are not direct components
of a fire arm,but stuff like pistol grips,mags,12 G stock etc will if they get stuck invite serious trouble,for the person importing the items.Suggest do not try to import any such item that is on the negative list of the DGFT.
HTH

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Fri May 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks Sanjay , could you throw some light on negative list of DGFT , I am not clear about this list. Regards James....

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Fri May 02, 2008 7:50 pm

US exporters/retailers/web shops can't export (without some export licenses) an order worth over $100/- which constitute the working parts of a firearm, grips come in this category, holsters don't.

I have ordered grips, cleaning fluids, etc. from Brownells and they have all been seized by customs. I had to do some major convincing before they released it. I wouldn't bother again. The order also took months and months to arive, even got lost once and brownells sent out a new one.

2 sets of grips I ordered off ebay arrived within a week of ordering in plain cardboard envelopes, that was a breeze.

AMK
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri May 02, 2008 8:53 pm

amk";p="43332 wrote: US exporters/retailers/web shops can't export (without some export licenses) an order worth over $100/- which constitute the working parts of a firearm, grips come in this category, holsters don't.

I have ordered grips, cleaning fluids, etc. from Brownells and they have all been seized by customs. I had to do some major convincing before they released it. I wouldn't bother again. The order also took months and months to arive, even got lost once and brownells sent out a new one.

2 sets of grips I ordered off ebay arrived within a week of ordering in plain cardboard envelopes, that was a breeze.

AMK
The reason for this is Brownells will ALWAYS prominently stick a customs declaration on top of the box, with a list of all items and even if it is a small screw they will clearly list it as being a part for the particular model of firearm it is intended for. This obviously sets the alarm bells ringing at customs - hence the associated problems.

eBay retailers/ individuals selling there don't care to do any such thing as they are not too bothered with potential legal liability issues that a big retailer like Brownells would be.

And you are spot on about the $100 limit, there is another caveat If an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder, Barrel, Flash Hider or Military Scope is ordered a State Department License is required - for these items there is no lower value limit at all, if they are a part of your order you WILL need an export license.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks mundaire for that detail information, as sanjay wrote, import through web items like pistol grips ect would be serious problem ,if this item being less than 100 dollars for example hogue pistol grip 30 dollar or 12 ga cartrige stripper case 50 dollars ,what is your openion , is it safe to import or should not worth taking chances. Regards James.......

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat May 03, 2008 1:03 am

James you are fishing,at the end of the day you are the one who is going to have to take that call :) :wink:

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Mon May 05, 2008 12:22 pm

The web shops will send (total order under $100) it but if it gets caught up in customs then it is a hassle.

AMK
AMK
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon May 05, 2008 3:14 pm

so its the case of "if u can't afford to lose it, don't fish overseas"
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Mon May 05, 2008 4:02 pm

May be some kind of setting has to be done by the "MEN-IN BLACK for the MEN-IN-WHITE. at they are called as CARRIERS hope these carriers don't land up some where, sometimes the cost of the rope can be costlier than the Goat.
HK,

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Mon May 05, 2008 8:19 pm

hock ann";p="43461 wrote: sometimes the cost of the rope can be costlier than the Goat.
HK,
That's a nice play of words, Hock Ann !! :wink:

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon May 05, 2008 8:27 pm

ya real nice play of words, i agree to that! is it a golden rope?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

primerwalla
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Import of accessories/ parts

Post by primerwalla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 am

Ok reviewing a old thread. So, is there a separate license to import firearms parts? If I bring the parts along with the firearm, is there any issue? Can I bring a extra barrel?