BARREL LENGTH shotgun vs rifle

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

BARREL LENGTH shotgun vs rifle

Post by james » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 am

As per arms act 1962 Shotguns with barrels shorter than 20 inches are also classified as prohibited bore firearms. Is this hold true for rifles or shotter barrel rifles are legally allowed , this is not clear in act . JAMES

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:01 am

Many a times rifle barrels are shorter, 18 inches to 16 inches microgroove rifle barrels for .22 Rimfire very much exist. The norm for centrefire barrels is 20 to 24 inches.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 pm

The act clearly says smooth bore barrel should not be lesser than 20"... does that mean one can "convert" an IOF 0.22 rifle into a pistol grip short barrel hand gun??? I dont think so.. there should be some more into this..
klick klack..... diskaon

penpusher

Re: BARREL LENGTH shotgun vs rifle

Post by penpusher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:46 pm

A shotgun for a barrel length less than 20" comes in category I(b) of Schedule 1 of the Arms Rules ,1962.License for this can only be issued by the Central Ministry of Home Affairs.

There is no such restriction on the length of a rifle barrel.So you can have a rifle with a barrel length less than 20" on a license issued by the local licensing authority.However this is only if the rifle comes like this from the factory.The Rules also say that no one can shorten the barrel of any firearm to less than 20".This would also apply to rifles.Also,the barrel of any firearm can only be shortened by a person with a license to shorten a firearm.

The law also says that you can't change the category of a firearm.So you can't shorten a rifle to make a handgun

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

With the same logic a "hockey" shotgun could be called a hand gun...

afterall Mack The Knife can shoot it with one hand!!! every time I hear the word hockey I recollect the whole arnold bana thread
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=2156
klick klack..... diskaon