How much ammo are you allowed in India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

How much ammo are you allowed in India?

Post by MoA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm

Just out of curiosity...

How much ammo are you allowed to have per caliber/weapon? How much can you buy?
And those of you who do shoot compititively... how do you manage?

Around here you're pretty much limited by your wallet. I personally tend to have a couple of boxes of factory only. Mainly because I load my own, and my rifles in particular seem to like non stanadard lenghts.

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How much ammo are you allowed in India?

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:46 pm

MoA";p="47441 wrote:Just out of curiosity...

How much ammo are you allowed to have per caliber/weapon? How much can you buy?
And those of you who do shoot compititively... how do you manage?

Around here you're pretty much limited by your wallet. I personally tend to have a couple of boxes of factory only. Mainly because I load my own, and my rifles in particular seem to like non stanadard lenghts.

:twisted: Hope you're not asking that question to make us miserable :mrgreen:

Apart from sportsmen and a handful of fortunate souls, a majority of indians are going to have to go by the 25/50 ratio...means one can purchase a maximum of 25 shots at any given time and a maximum purchase of 50 shots per year is permissible.

It varies minutely from state to state, region to region...I'm told in Guwahati..perhaps whole of Assam one cannot purchase more than four shots at a time.... :o Can you believe the babus who think up such drivel?!!
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 pm

So in theory... over a period of 10 years you could accumulate a stash of 500?

So in Guwahti you would need to go buy .22 lr at 4/trip to the shop? That is really stupid.

What is the logic behind this absurdity?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 pm

MoA";p="47446 wrote: What is the logic behind this absurdity?
Logic? ...Well...you tell me... as I know, that's the establishments' standard method of combating militancy and terrorism :)... at least that's the apparent reason they are trying to hint at, now that most of their other half-witted amateur measures have more or less failed.

Someone once said (perhaps it was badshah?) that UP has a limit of max 10 shots that can be possessed at a time.... well the government HAS to be seen to be doing at least something... :mrgreen:
Last edited by cottage cheese on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:58 pm

MoA";p="47446 wrote: What is the logic behind this absurdity?
Ahh the logic,....the logic' :twisted: .

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

So how do you guys shoot? Or are the weapons little more than glorified clubs?

And when you go to the range, what do you do? Fire one group of five and come home?
That could be understandable with the .405's but this is really absurd.

In any case the criminal elements seem to always find what they are looking for in terms of ammo.
Do they think that the militants/terrorists will ensure they only have 10 rounds in their AK?

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Even more absurd is the fact that no crime is ever comitted with licenced weapons.

With such great controls in India then, why are there so many crimes ? Where do the firearms and ammo come from ? Does the govt. have an answer ?

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 pm

one cant accumulate ammo over the years as your licence would state how much ammo one can AT A TIME as well as yearly limit.

i know some people with a limit of 300/year but this was done around 5 yrs ago. Ive heard laws have become even more strict since then.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:03 pm

That is the situation in the UK as well currently, where they have banned semi-auto's and pistols. However the criminal elements have no difficulty in sourcing these weapons.

Thankfully on the continent cooler minds still work. But have some wierd restrictions as well. For example you can not go hunting with a .308 since its a miltary caliber. Becomes even more absurd with things like the old mausers which come in sizes ranging from the original 8x57 to 8x64. Yould hunt with the 8x60 but not the original chambering. However hand guns remain legal as do semi's.

The only real 'licensed' gun crime one hears of in India is when some drunk idiot thinks shooting off one in the air is good fun. Or in the case of the unfortunate jessica lal, where I do not believe the weapon was recovered.

I do remember it being easier to own weapons, and certainly having more than 50 cartridges at a time. When did it become so draconian?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 pm

25/25 to unlimited

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm

How do you go about getting an unlimited endorsement? Or is it for air guns only :wink:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:02 am

Airguns do not require a license.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:32 am

At least GOI seems to have gotten away from one piece of absurdity.
Do limit the velocity possible or can you get some of the 900 fps+ ones as well?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:35 am

There is a limit based on penetration of a given medium,however no one bothers about it

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 am

paaji isnt unlimited reserved for "shooters"?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.